Prices frozen for baby milk formula and canned fish

webfact

image.png

Thailand’s Internal Trade Department has halted a plan by manufacturers to increase the prices of baby milk formula and canned fish, by about 10% and two baht per pack respectively, to cover increased production costs.

Deputy Government Spokesperson Rachada Dhnadirek said on Sunday that the department has informed the manufacturers that both are controlled products and that the department’s approval is needed if their prices are to be to be increased.

She noted that the retail prices of the two products might have gone up because some retailers increased them to offset the reduced profit margin.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/prices-frozen-for-baby-milk-formula-and-canned-fish/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

She noted that the retail prices of the two products might have gone up because some retailers increased them to offset the reduced profit margin.

Gouging... not inflation by retailers.

However I do sympathise with manufactures being controlled by the government.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 6:24 PM, hotchilli said:

Sounds to me like some retailers may have increased the price in anticipation of a factory increase.  Some of my wife's childhood friends are merchants.  They are very successful and would anticipate things like this.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2023 at 3:31 AM, webfact said:

manufacturers that both are controlled products and that the department’s approval is needed if their prices are to be to be increased.

Unfortunate that's usually no problem. 

Baby milk, diapers, etc are already overpriced and unavailability for most Thai consumers. 

Sucks. 

On 1/29/2023 at 3:24 PM, hotchilli said:

Shouldn't be the business of government to be involved in controlling trade and markets. 

Unfortunately, this is too commonplace [historically] the world over. 

• Like 1