Which (power) saw and accessories?

OneMoreFarang

For my renovation I have two things which I want to be able to do myself with a saw:

a) Make long straight cuts in wood. This is for cutting wood sheets i.e. for kitchen cabinet installation.

b) Cut floor skirting and crown molding with 45 degree cuts. The material is wood or some foam material.

c) Similar to b but bigger. I have plastic cable trunks which are 130mm wide and 70mm high and I want to cut them straight or with 45 degrees.

All together I have to make maybe 100 cuts. If necessary, I can do this with a hand saw. But I don't mind buying some power tool if that makes the process easier and better quality.

I found online miter boxes like the following. But even the biggest is too small to cut something with size 130mmx70mm.

This is the biggest which I found. It's too small for my purpose.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/multi-function-woodworking-saw-ark-clamping-mitre-box-101214-inch-miter-box-with-backsaw-i3446400924.html

MitreBox.png.bf5d569c41471e6ec572e41a3875346c.png

I have already a good quality power jigsaw.

I guess best case would be a track saw or table saw for the long straight cuts and a miter saw for the angled cuts. But because I likely won't use those tools in the future and because they are pretty big, I am reluctant to buy them.

What do you suggest?

Or are there options in Bangkok to borrow professional tools for a few days or a month? 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

No question in my mind number one would be a mitre saw and number two a hand circular saw, bought them both years ago when we built the house and used and used them all the time, building a new workbench now and cant imagine trying to do it without at least a mitre saw.

Mitre saws can cut precisely every time every angle and most importantly always square ends.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/sliding-mitre-saw/?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.1.2c2b6aeahFcTFB&q=sliding mitre saw&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--8979105781426257078__abId--296419__Score--0.20709682350132075__pvid--215cd7f5-6dd4-456e-bbc7-876c02730716__matchType--2__matchList--2-3__srcQuery--sliding mitre saw__spellQuery--sliding mitre saw__ctrScore--0.0__cvrScore--0.0&from=suggest_normal&sugg=sliding mitre saw_0_1&catalog_redirect_tag=true

Thanks for all your advice.

If I would have unlimited space then I would have bought a miter saw, and maybe something else. 

But with my limited space and likely limited use I decided to buy a circular saw, a good one.

Until now it is still in the box, I will use it in the next months.

GKS 18V-68 GC Cordless Circular Saw BITURBO | Bosch Professional (bosch-professional.com)

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks for all your advice.

If I would have unlimited space then I would have bought a miter saw, and maybe something else. 

But with my limited space and likely limited use I decided to buy a circular saw, a good one.

Until now it is still in the box, I will use it in the next months.

GKS 18V-68 GC Cordless Circular Saw BITURBO | Bosch Professional (bosch-professional.com)

When I started woodworking and buying my own tools, I too bought a good circular saw. If I were starting the process today and had your needs I would not make the same choice. Because a circular saw excels in rough carpentry. For the uses you mention it is not the best nor a cost effective choice.

Roughly 4~5 years ago the patents held by Festool on track saws expired so cheaper alternatives became available. These are some of the ones available.

EFDF6635-1643-494A-B284-12D5C400619B.jpeg.9e2fc918b48cd0aceecdc253be0c139b.jpeg

They excel in the kind of stuff you want to do are more accurate and less expensive than your mid-range Bosch.

I still have the circular saw (incidentally I also have a saw table for it) I haven’t used it in the last 15 years, as my tracksaw is so much more effective efficient and accurate.

A budget tracksaw will be ½ the price of yours,

72D9E3BF-6A2E-4FBD-BF93-09145795DD6F.thumb.jpeg.8d8dff3972a14f1be3b659760edc6c15.jpeg
a top of the range about double your price. Better for your needs and of similar quality 
better
9F4D82C1-4086-42F3-9157-AD2B989F8F86.jpeg.f9430d40821c1ba6ba1a422414457fc4.jpeg

FWIW it is certainly possible, though significantly less easy, to get the cuts with a circular saw that can be achieved with a track saw, I can let you know the jigs you will need

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

When I started woodworking and buying my own tools, I too bought a good circular saw. If I were starting the process today and had your needs I would not make the same choice. Because a circular saw excels in rough carpentry. For the uses you mention it is not the best nor a cost effective choice.

Roughly 4~5 years ago the patents held by Festool on track saws expired so cheaper alternatives became available. These are some of the ones available.

EFDF6635-1643-494A-B284-12D5C400619B.jpeg.9e2fc918b48cd0aceecdc253be0c139b.jpeg

They excel in the kind of stuff you want to do are more accurate and less expensive than your mid-range Bosch.

I still have the circular saw (incidentally I also have a saw table for it) I haven’t used it in the last 15 years, as my tracksaw is so much more effective efficient and accurate.

A budget tracksaw will be ½ the price of yours,

72D9E3BF-6A2E-4FBD-BF93-09145795DD6F.thumb.jpeg.8d8dff3972a14f1be3b659760edc6c15.jpeg
a top of the range about double your price. Better for your needs and of similar quality 
better
9F4D82C1-4086-42F3-9157-AD2B989F8F86.jpeg.f9430d40821c1ba6ba1a422414457fc4.jpeg

FWIW it is certainly possible, though significantly less easy, to get the cuts with a circular saw that can be achieved with a track saw, I can let you know the jigs you will need

Thanks, I understand your points.

But believe it or not, the model GKS 18V-68 GC (not the GKS 18V-68 C) is pretty near to a track saw. I also bought a matching track. I saw a German review of a couple of track saws and circular saws and this one was in the top.

And last but not least it is obviously always a question what is available in Thailand. This was in stock at a company from which I bought other tools and which I trust. And I have already several Bosch 18V batteries.

Was it the best possible choice? Probably not. Was it a good choice and available? I think so.

cordless-circular-saw-biturbo-gks-18v-68

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And last but not least it is obviously always a question what is available in Thailand.

Both the Scheppach and the Makita are available from reputable tool dealers in Thailand.

My suggestion is that you may like to include waantong.com and hardwarehouse.co.th in your supplier list to increase your choices. There are several others that are equally good and of proven track record.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sometime said:

Years ago I bought a Skill circular saw for cutting wood, then I put in a cutting disc for stone to cut the concrete slabs for my drive it never missed a beat & is still going strong after 14 years

I thought that's what angle grinders are used for.

worker-hand-holding-angle-grinder-diamon