Thailand and Laos Discuss Reopening of Cross-Border Checkpoints

snoop1130

005b7da60dbc7ed362a30ee5f127d9a4_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Commerce has voiced optimism over Thailand’s trade relationship with Laos after officials from both countries met to discuss the reopening of four border checkpoints.

Permanent Secretary for Commerce, Keerati Rushchano, recently visited Laos to meet with the Vice-Mayor of Vientiane and the Director of the Capital City’s Planning and Investment Department, Phoukhong Bannavong. The meeting was aimed to accelerate the reopening of four border checkpoints that have been closed due to the Covid-19 pandemic, in order to stimulate the border economy and promote tourism.

According to Keerati, these checkpoints include Tha Duea local checkpoint opposite Nong Khai Municipal Pier, Nong Da traditional checkpoint, Park Ngum traditional checkpoint, and Kokhea traditional checkpoint. Thailand is ready to reopen each location as soon as Vientiane agrees to do the same.

Responding to his Thai counterpart, Phoukhong Bannavong said that Vientiane is now working to solve infrastructure, operational system, and human resource issues, and pledged to reopen the checkpoints as soon as possible.

The two sides have also agreed to focus on tourism connectivity to generate maximum benefits.

Thailand has 49 border checkpoints with Laos, with 44 currently open on the Thai side and 36 open on the Lao side. In 2022, Thai-Lao border trade was worth 260 billion baht, a 21.1% increase from the previous year, and accounted for 94.7% of the total trade between the two countries.

Border trade in Nong Khai province, which is adjacent to Vientiane, amounted to 86.5 billion baht in 2022, a 15.3% increase from the previous year, ranking first in border trade between Thailand and Laos.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230203140702893

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

1 hour ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Haven't they been reopened already long time ago?

The big bridges yes.

Like Nong Khai to Vientiane.

But this news is likely irrelevant for us foreigners.

Small checkpoints I never heard of and I guess open only for Thai and Lao people.

What does "Traditional checkpoints" mean?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

How do the 8 Thai checkpoints ( by my maths) with no corresponding checkpoint in Laos work?

That's where immigration officers on inactive posts are sent too ????

Sit and watch the border.

Sorry have no serious answer.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

How do the 8 Thai checkpoints ( by my maths) with no corresponding checkpoint in Laos work?

Quite easy, 2 points in Thailand going to one in Laos.

When we were in Nakhon Phanom my wife went across on the boat, Thai foot passengers only. I am fairly sure I saw another pier on the Thai side further along the river probably going to the same pier on the Laos side.

These "checkpoints" are nothing like what we would normally see.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's where immigration officers on inactive posts are sent too ????

Sit and watch the border.

Sorry have no serious answer.

Many a true word said in jest.

This may help trade a bit but do little for tourism.

I came across the Nong Khai border about 3pm on 26th Jan and couldn't believe how quiet it was. There was no one at the immigration desks in Laos and when I got off the bus on the Thai side by the time I had filled in the TM6 everyone else had gone through.

• Thumbs Up 1