Are we being listened to?

KannikaP

Was in a baht bus in Pattaya last Sunday evening, looking for a good Indian restaurant. After seeing so many as we came down into town, my bro asked me where is the best Indian in Pattaya? Took out his phone and dialled Google. The first suggested question was 'The Best Indian Restaurant in Pattaya?' HOW?

The King was no 5 and we were right next to it. It was OK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watchcat said:

You used a 'smart phone'. That's how.

But this appeared on his iPhone, not on my Android (Huawei) which was next to it.

Can Google still 'hear' you if the phone is turned off?

Edited by KannikaP

On 2/7/2023 at 12:03 PM, KannikaP said:

...my bro asked me where is the best Indian in Pattaya? Took out his phone and dialled Google. The first suggested question was 'The Best Indian Restaurant in Pattaya?' HOW?

The King was no 5 and we were right next to it. It was OK.

Could you elucidate a little how your bro "dialled Google"?

• Thumbs Up 1

Was talking to a friend about angle grinders a few weeks ago. Next day went to a website on my PC and it had adverts for angle grinders on it. I had never searched for angle grinders ever but there were ads for them. How was that? Clearly my Android phone, logged into the same Google account, had heard the discussion with my friend. What else can there listening link with?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2023 at 11:46 PM, KannikaP said:

But this appeared on his iPhone, not on my Android (Huawei) which was next to it.

Can Google still 'hear' you if the phone is turned off?

Quite possible. A friend of mine was just suggesting the same thing. Especially as it applies to Tik tok. Chinese spies at work! 

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Quite possible. A friend of mine was just suggesting the same thing. Especially as it applies to Tik tok. Chinese spies at work! 

Yes, of course. Always the Chinese. Too convenient coming from this crowd.....and not a terribly intelligent one at that.

I believe the Chinese would be the least of anyone's worries as such applies to paranoid spook stuff.

Look to the real civilised circles as the U.S. for these types of things - they're the real terrorists, boggieman, bad guys, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Yes, the mic is open all the time.  Google will then suggest adverts based on your conversation.

It's one of those "opt out" things but you can't real remove the entire operating system.  So they have you.

There is video on YouTube where a guy randomly talks about digs (he doesn't own any pets) he then opens Google and it shows dogs toys on every website.

• Haha 1