Best airline poll

george

Best airline poll  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love airline polls - great way to rate your favourite (and worst) airline.

but PLEASE can you guys spell QANTAS correctly.

Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Service - acronym, not name.

kind regards seavis.

ps actually for those Aussies who read this post I preferred Ansett to QANTAS before they went guts-up and I lost a trillion frequent flyer points.

No anti Yank flurry-promise.

We only have so much room so suggest wait and see how it works out after a few weeks/months to give an idea of the results.Thai airways is looking good but who knows we might get 500 votes overnight for one of the others.In futhure there is no reason not to do BEST-WORSE-CHEAPEST-GOOD VALUE..then by Europe-US-ASIA-South America- Africian?apart from SAA forget Africa but who knows maybe Nigerian Airways could become No 1.

Re QUANTAS-Agree its QANTAS...and was ANSETT bought out/over by VIRGIN BLUE?

I used to fly up to the gold coast from Sydney with a small outfit about 12-14 years but it went bust (not ANSETT) and last time had to take the bus back.(hoof it)

:cool:

While we're being picky. Gulf Air and Emirates are two different airlines. GA are based in Bahrain and Emirates are in Dubai.

Interesting to note that Qantas and BA have no votes. BA is a major shareholder of Qantas.

I have flown both and found the service seriously lacking. I will never fly either ever again if there is any alternative.

and was ANSETT bought out/over by VIRGIN BLUE?

No. ANSETT just went belly up. Virgin Blue just filled the hole left by ANSETT. They also dragged down 4 subsidiary companies with them, Kendall Airlines, Hazelton Airlines, Aeropelican and Skywest. Maybe one of them was the "small outfit".

I only once tried the bus from Brisbane to Sydney down the old Pacific Highway. Never again. Train might be OK, but I think Virgin Blue have some pretty good deals so I guess I'll give them a try next time I'm in Oz.

Again Agree about Gulf and Em.......

FYI.

List of Airlines using Bangkok International

AIR CANADA AC

AIR CHINA CA  

AIR FRANCE AF

AIR INDIA AI

AIR KAZAKSTAN

AIR KORYO,

KOREAN AIRWAYS JS

AIR MACAU NX

AIR NEW ZEALAND NZ

ALL NIPPON AIRWAYS NH

AMERICAN AIRLINES AA

ANDAMAN 2Y  

AEROSVIT AIRLINES VV      

AUSTRALIAN AIRLINES AN  

ASIANA AIRLINES OZ  

BANGKOK AIRWAYS PG

BANGLADESH BIMANAIRLINES BG

BRITISH AIRWAYS BA

CARGOLUX AIRLINES INTERNATIONAL CV  

CATHAY PACIFIC AIRWAYS CX

CHINA AIRLINES CI

CHINA EASTERN AIRLINES MU

CHINA SOUTHERN AIRLINES CZ

CHINA SOUTHWEST AIRLINES SZ

CHINA YUNNAN AIRLINES 3Q

CONDOR FLUGDIENST DE  

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES  CO      

CHINA NORTHERN AIRLINES  CJ      

DRAGONAIR KA

DRUK AIR KB

EGYPT AIR MS

EL AL-ISRAEL AIRLINES LY  

EMIRATES EK  

ETHIOPIAN AIRLINES ET

EVA AIRWAYS BR 0-  

FEDERAL EXPRESS FX

FINNAIR AY  

GARUDA INDONESIA GA

GULF AIR GF  

INDIAN AIRLINES IC  

JAPAN AIRLINES JL  

KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES KL  

KOREAN AIRLINES KE

KUWAIT AIRWAYS KU  

LAO AVIATION QV    

LTU INTERNATIONAL AIRWAYS LT  

LUFTHANSA GERMAN AIRLINES LH  

MALAYSIA AIRLINES MH

MAHAN AIR W5

MYANMAR AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL UB  

NIPPON CARGO AIRLINES KZ  

NORTHWEST AIRLINES NW

OLYMPIC AIRWAYS OA

ORIENT EXPRESS AIR OX

PAKISTAN INTERNATIONAL AIRLINES PK  

PHILIPPINES AIRLINES PR

P.B.AIR 9Q

QANTAS AIRWAYS QF

QATAR AIRWAYS QR

ROYAL PHNOM-PENH AIRWAYS RL0

ROYAL BRUNEI AIRLINES BI  

ROYAL JORDANIAN RJ  

ROYAL NEPAL AIRLINES RA  

SIEM REAP AIRWAYS  FT  

SCANDINAVIAN AIRLINES SYSTEM SK  

SINGAPORE AIRLINES SQ  

SOUTH AFRICAN AIRWAYS SA  

SRI LANKAN AIRLINES UL - -  

SWISS INTERNATIONAL AIR SR  

TRANSMILE AIR TH   -

THAI AIRWAYS INTERNATIONAL TG

TURKISH AIRLINES TK  

TURKMENISTAN AIRLINES TS

UNITED AIRLINES UA  

UZBEKISTAN AIRWAYS HY  

UNITED PARCEL SERVICE UPS

VIETNAM AIRLINES VN

XIAMEN AIRLINES  MF  

| :o

Not to bangers...yet?

Australian Airlines is wholly owned by Qantas Airways Limited but operated independently and managed separately.

Catch the Holiday Spirit

Australian Airlines is the ideal way to travel to your holiday destination. As a full service airline we offer our customers complimentary food and beverages. Onboard you will enjoy our multi-lingual inflight entertainment and can shop from our range of duty free products and Australian Airlines souvenirs.

Australian Airlines Improves Singapore Connections To The Gold Coast

Australian Airlines customers travelling to Australia from Singapore will have access to direct connections to the Gold Coast from the beginning of next month.

http://www.australianairlines.com.au/

???

We have been into the poll for just over a week and it looks as though the favs.are turning out to be .....hold your breath THAI and SINGAPORE (joint 1st) with EVA coming in a no.3.

CHINA is No 4 with Emerates (or maybe GULF) SAS and our real favourite BA at joint 5th.Qantas,Luft.and Cathy Pac.at at a resounding " Diddly Squat "

Please remember that the worlds airlines and even governments could be monitoring this and indeed depending on the outcome nations could fall.

I am a bit supprised that QANTAS is doing so badly...surely someone must like them.... even just a little.Their recent adverts showed a cute little KOALA ...so

Anyway once we get a clear lead we will clear the board and go for alternatives.....handsome pilots.best looking etc???

worse experiences.

As the title suggests the airline you like X.

:o

OK, I'll bite. I've had no problems with QANTAS ever and I've flown with them more than 20 times over 20 years.

The poll was "Best airline". Bit non-specific but I guess would include variables like cost, quality of service and food, safety record...

From what I can recall QANTAS has or had the best safety record of all airlines. It has had only two significant incidents (no deaths or injuries to passengers) since 1960 and both were in Bangkok!

Exerpt from

http://www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/qantas.htm

Qantas 747 has Landing Gear Incident in Rome

23 April 2000: A Qantas airlines 747-300, with 303 passengers on board, had a landing gear strut collapse while taxiing for takeoff from Rome. One of the engines was damaged, but there were no injuries among the passengers and crew. This is the second serious incident involving Qantas in less than a year. Last September, a landing overrun involving a Qantas 747 at Bangkok's airport resulted in about $100 million in damage to the aircraft. A Qantas 747 was also involved in a minor landing incident in Perth the same month.

Qantas 747 with over 400 Aboard Runs off Runway

23 September 1999: A Qantas airlines 747-400, with 407 passengers and crew on board, came to rest on a golf course after sliding off a runway at Bangkok's airport. While there was substantial damage to the aircraft, no one on board the aircraft was seriously injured. The aircraft has since been repaired and put back into service.

No I don't work for QANTAS. I voted for QANTAS (mainly coz I felt sorry that they were sitting on a duck) but my second choice would have been Thai. ;-)

From today's Brisbane Courier Mail..

Lost wheelchair MP slams Qantas

16jun03

A FEDERAL MP today accused Qantas of gross incompetence after the airline lost his wheelchair for a second time.

Labor MP Graham Edwards launched a blistering attack on the airline after flying in to Canberra from Perth last night to learn his wheelchair was lost in Melbourne.

Mr Edwards, a Vietnam veteran, said travelling with Qantas was often stressful and described management as a disgrace.

"I've had enough. Last night for the second time in 12 months, I arrived in Canberra only to be told my wheelchair was still in Melbourne and would not arrive in Canberra for another couple of hours," Mr Edwards told parliament.

"I cannot understand how a company, an Australian company, is so incompetent it can lose a person's wheelchair not once, but twice.

"Qantas enjoys a monopoly in our skies, they don't deserve it, and the sooner we get some decent competition the better."

Australia's other domestic airline, Virgin Blue, invited Mr Edwards to try its service.

"We'd certainly welcome him on board as I'm sure would the taxpayer," a Virgin Blue spokeswoman said.

Virgin is considering direct Perth-Canberra flights but said in the meantime, Mr Edwards could fly via Sydney.

Mr Edwards said his anger was directed at Qantas management and not ground staff or cabin crew who were friendly and helpful.

"I direct my remarks at the management of Qantas who think that the needs of people with disabilities are insignificant... I say to the management of Qantas you are a disgrace."

Qantas said it was looking into the matter.

"Qantas understands the needs of disabled passengers and offers a range of services to assist with their individual requirements within the airport and in flight," an airline spokeswoman said.

"Qantas is looking into Mr Edwards' matter."

Mr Edwards said he was also fed up with the damage caused to his wheelchair during the flight.

"I know from my own experience being reunited with my (wheel)chair following a flight, I often find the frame is bent, spokes are broken, the wheels are buckled," he said.

Think we can say that the 2 votes are for Emirates and not Gulf. :o

I have never flown them (EM)but all reports put them way up on top.The only prob.that I have ever heard of is a bit of a long stopover -Lon-Bangkok in Dubai.However last time it looked pretty good.

Ideas for a new Poll...Worlds favourite Airports ???

Rinrada,

It might be checking out Emirates again then as they have expanded their service to both London and Bangkok. I think that they fly 6 times per day to London and twice per day to Bangkok.

I think that they are one of the few airlines that are currently both making profit and expanding.

Award-winning Emirates has confirmed orders for 71 state-of-the-art aircraft, including 23 Airbus A380s , 22 Airbus A340s and 26 Boeing 777-300s, amounting to an investment of over US$19 billion in greater comfort for our passengers

PS. I don't work for them...

Good to see them back in Business but a pity they dont fly to Europe yet.(share with KLM but not the same)

They used to do well with their direct flights from London (remember the BBC "Phillipino Dream Girls"with the guys from south wales going out to Manila on a takaway week.

Charlie Drake was in it "I dont know Whyyyyy?" and Greengrass (Heartbeat) was the - and in his own words  words  "a pimp for english <deleted> - I was a military man you know and now I am pimping for etc.etc.etc.."

One of the guys gets picked up by ROSIE from the go go bar (Mabina St....been there done it) and they end up running an excort agency in Cardiff.-great stuff...

Promo....

BUY ONE TAKE ONE  

We offer "Buy One Take One" special promotional fares.  Please select one that suits you.

From Manila to:

Guam

Hong Kong

Honolulu

San Francisco or Los Angeles

Vancouver

To Manila from :

San Francisco or Los Angeles

Vancouver

Guam

Honolulu

http://www.philippineairlines.com/

• 2 months later...

I have been speaking to one of my many travel agent friends in Upper Street,Islington..next to the White Swan and near the "famous Cock"Pub (6pm Friday night- anybody about?)and he recons that flavour of the month and looking good price wise is Finnish Airlines (via Helsinki) at around £300+and its all the way into November.

Thai is rolling at £430 and CI at £415+tax(£fity one quid TAX-honestly???)

Interestingly enough I happen to mention prices for Aeroflot and Uzbeckistan and he he said that he has never had anyone ever booking these 2 carriers....so witout repeating... anyone been with Aeroflop or Uzzi-Bec?-fun city Tashkent.

info.WWW.flight-centre.co.uk

and...

[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

BA @1.96...

Must admit that I have not flown "the flag"to bangers in over o about 10 years,but wonder is it really that BAD.

I used to do the courier flights in the late 80s and my last trip with BA was in Business Class which I still recon was my best ever,yep even beat Sings,Thai and Binmans........

The food was good,lots of Drambuie after din-dins and a wee TV in the seat in front with loads of legoverroom.

I was fortunate in the 70s to do the London-saudi stint for a couple of years- via Bahrain- and  on the odd occasion got the BA Concord back to the smoke,and it was good.

So whats gone WRONG with the worlds fav etc....

???  :o

I am most of the time on Cathay Pacific. They are no longer what they used to be and you feel the "saving measures". Still by far better than any Europeans or US-airlines, I know of.

Emirates, only once, but great.

Lufthansa business, my last flight the worst note you can give, with one exception, the Thai airhostess on board tried to give some service.

TG is ok, but nothing to write home about.

Very much it depends on every flight, how the mood of today's crew is.

SQ absolutely among the top-class carriers.

Air France. If you speak French as a Westerner, ok

SAS only once in business class to SIN. Interesting, watching my wife drinking a Gammeldansk (Brrrr) The crew was so exited, we could keep the glasses. Seats in business among the best I ever had. But SAS is going to phase out business class due to lack of demand.

No. 1 for 'cute' Vietnam Airlines. Perhaps I am biased by the crew wearing the national VN dress....

but amenyties and food/drink  choices very limited. Forget about in-flight entertainment 'there ain't no' (within Asia)

ps actually for those Aussies who read this post I preferred Ansett to QANTAS before they went guts-up and I lost a trillion frequent flyer points.

Thanks to  Air New Zealand...Bought Ansett out and stripped the assets, putting thousands out of work.

You lot should try flying Emirates.  It's econd to none in my opinion.

Emirates is the best by far. Only problem is they have it listed with Gulf Air which sucks one of the worst around to include the airport you have to wait in lines for hours for boarding pass on connecting flights at their own airport.

Most of the Gulf severs are male that do not treat non muslims to kindly.

Air France. If you speak French as a Westerner, ok

sure, everybody knows that the french staff doesn't speak a word of english, it's well known  :o

hey'

where did you pick up this idea?

ho, let me see ...

french don't like any other nationalities? no? wrong?  hum ...

they don't speak english at all? no ? wrong? hum ...

it is a stupid thing to say ...

just like if you said Thai-airways, it's ok if you are Thai ...

seriously ... if you don't like air-france say why!

I'm french, and I can tell you why, just because they are

far too expensive  :D

where did you pick up this idea?

ho, let me see ...

french don't like any other nationalities? no? wrong?  hum ...

they don't speak english at all? no ? wrong? hum ...

it is a stupid thing to say ...

Hey, take it easy...

Where I picked it up? Own experience on many flights. Just walk in with a friendly "Good afternoon" you get a "bonjour". (My wife is Asian, she gets a "good afternoon".

Ask for a newspaper you get a "Le journal?".

btw, not so long ago, I travelled with my agent from Switzerland (yeah, he speaks francaise federal) who asked if there was a German newspaper, the reply was "certainement no, monsieur". Facing me, I said "Le Parisien, svp" the pursers face went smiling like sunshine.

To like af or not? I am a member of AF "Frequence plus" for the last 8 years or so.

BTW, Thai ok for Thais? Ask Thaksin, he thinks "THAI SUCKS".