Helmet Law

liquido

If you are asking is it the law (to wear a helmet) the answer is yes.

And obviously, it is not rigorously enforced. Occasionally the city police will run a checkpoint, usually at night, just around a moat corner. They will scoop up and fine all not wearing a helmet, no licence, etc. But every day, I see hundreds ride around with no helmet, right in front of the police.... :o

The police colonel was recently interviewed about it and he admitted the compliance was very low, less than 30%, as I recall. He expressed regret but said something like "This is Thailand, Thai culture, Lanna tradition, we didn't do that in year 2513..." or something like that.

It is the law to wear a helmet's here as mcgriffith has posted.

Here where i live the police only seem to inforce the law when on main roads

Where i live they only enforce the law during the day time, especially near the end of the month or when they are planning a party that evening! Thankfully they tend to ignore the farangs and mainly go for the schoolkids.

Here are my observations on helmets:

• Yes, there is a helmet law.
  • The helmet can be a plastic sand bucket placed on top of the head. Actually, the helmet can be ANYTHING, but (I think) it has to be on your head to be considered a helmet.
  • The helmet laws are only enforced by law officers stationed at various, random "helmet checking" checkpoints on the streets of Chiang Mai.
  • Helmet-less drivers and passengers are routinely ignored by other law officers riding in cars and motorcycles or directing traffic. (Not my job man!)
  • Thai nationals may or may not be cited.
  • Farangs absolutely WILL be cited.

The ONLY consistency in Thailand is inconsistency. This applies especially to the traffic laws and the enforcement thereof.

Edited by Rice_King

What gripes me the most on this issue are the FARANG, who should certainly know better, riding around on a rented scooter from Mr. Whoever Rental, with no helmet, ripping up Doi Suthep mountain with the girlfriend on back. With minimal motorcycle experience, near as I can discern.

Or worse yet, riding around with a 30 yr old plastic POS, with the strap unbuckled....uh, yeah, that's going to do a lot of good, Turbo.

I can understand Thai 14 yr. olds, unlicenced, no helmet, with 2 siblings on the back, a lot better than I can understand the clueless farang.

The first group is constrained by resources; poverty, etc.

The second group is constrained by a lack of brain cells. Which they could very likely be spilling on the street.... :o

Edited by mcgriffith

[*]Farangs absolutely WILL be cited.

This is obviously a regional thing. I wanted to go to a karaoke bar near my house one evening but i noticed a police checkpoint had been set up half way between home and the bar. So rather than get stopped on the way home will a belly full of beer i decided we should all walk, it was only about 1 km each way.

On the way home one of the girls was stopped by a copper and asked why we were walking. She explained about me not wanting to get nicked and his reply was, "we not stop farang, only thai peoples".

The only time i actually did get stopped was when i ran a red light on my mountain bike. After a couple of minutes of me forgetting how to talk thai, the copper told me to go away. :o

Well, mcgriffith is talking about Chiang Mai, and I can vouch that most farang get stopped. But at the blockades, almost anybody gets stopped. The day I was on pain killers and forgot to put on my helmet, I jumped on the pillion and we got stopped at the first corner (Rincome). I paid 200 baht for me, and they wanted nothing for Nok Lek, who was driving bareheaded.

Do those thin plastic helmets actually offer any real protection? (ok..i know probably a tad more protection than without..but ..u know.. 'real' protection)

Do those thin plastic helmets actually offer any real protection? (ok..i know probably a tad more protection than without..but ..u know.. 'real' protection)

No eek they don't i got kicked off my bike 3 week's ago wearing one of those helmet's the plastic vizer broke on impact and luckly for me dug in an inch or so below my left eye it could have taken my eye out ' they are cheap and unsafe and don't have any kite marking's for safety

take a look

Edited by colino

If I understand that brief excerpt from the effects of motorcycling laws in Thailand in the latter 1990's, they concluded that the mortality rate did not change. Incredible! I can only attribute it to the cheapness of the helmet, improper usage, padding, structure, etc. Unless the statistical analysis was wrong. There is no doubt that proper helmets save lives.

glad to hear you were ok colino.

I had wondered if they would really offer any real support, never actually considered that they could cause more harm though.

Ive tried to ride a scooter here and have the marks on me as a reminder of how badly i succeeded. Would like to find a driving school somewhere sometime to build up my confidence. One thing i will definately do if i get round to trying again, is buy a decent helmet.

I have that exact same helmet, arnt they great! I had a 20,000 baht one before but much to my annoyance a nearby policeman took a fancy to it when I wasnt looking! (well I assume it was the policeman as most thieves wont rob something when a policeman is stood 5m away from my bike!) This was in bangkok though, I have never had a helmet stolen in CM.

Jake

Without going into a lot of technical hoo-ha that will make everyone's eyes glaze over, there are 2 things in helmets that protect you:

1) The Shell (only purpose is to protect against Penetration....ouch). Should be constructed of multiple layers of fiberglass/ABS etc.

2) The Foam Lining- what actually saves your life in an accident. The foam is engineered to collapse at a precise compression rate, cushioning your brain inside your head (in a sudden de-celeration) from suffering any tearing/separation of tissue (hematoma, etc.).

The cheesy plastic pudding bowl helmets (with little or no foam lining) commonly worn here are less than worthless. Why LESS than worthless? Because they give the wearer the ILLUSION that they are protected.....

A real helmet, a full face Index (OK I know it's not an Arai or Shoei or best yet an OGK- and I own all of them in US) costs about 800 B.

A decent open face, with a flip up visor- 600 or so B.

$30 bucks to save your life? I think it is money well spent.... :o

McG

Edited by mcgriffith

. . . I can understand Thai 14 yr. olds, unlicenced, no helmet, with 2 siblings on the back, a lot better than I can understand the clueless farang.

The first group is constrained by resources; poverty, etc.

The second group is constrained by a lack of brain cells. . . .

It seems to me that you undertand both groups thoroughly.

Where can you get decent helmets in CM? Any shops close to Kad Sun Kaew or CMU? Thanks.

The motorbike accessories shop on Chiang Moi Road just short of the Thai Military Bank on the right hand side (going with the traffic) always has a stock of half decent helmets. Used to have a big supply of Nolans there but I'm not sure if they are sold out now.

Edited by Blinky Bill

If I understand that brief excerpt from the effects of motorcycling laws in Thailand in the latter 1990's, they concluded that the mortality rate did not change. Incredible! I can only attribute it to the cheapness of the helmet, improper usage, padding, structure, etc. Unless the statistical analysis was wrong. There is no doubt that proper helmets save lives.

saw some "almost safe" type helmets being worn by thais in my village. they had tinted visors,-think honda were giving them away with each stepthrough purchased- and everybody i saw wearing one had it on back-to front!-the visor being used as a sun-shield for the back of the neck!

helmet laws suck, and i admire the thais for resisting them. we farang can learn something from the thai. they simply ignore any law which tries to interfere with or restrict their freedom in any way.

frikkie

Have you ever seen BB or GTR-Rider without a helmet ? No I didn't think so. And the two afore mentioned gentlemen wear top quality helmets.

For the Thai's who get wiped out whilst their helmet is sitting in the parcel basket I have just one thing to say "som nam naa"

well a helmet certainly stopped me from getting a serious injury.Personally,I believe that if you don't wear them,you are an idiot.

well a helmet certainly stopped me from getting a serious injury.Personally,I believe that if you don't wear them,you are an idiot.

Agreed, which is why I am not upset when people don't wear helmets.

why don't we all go out and buy bikes with airbags, and roll cages! or better still, if you are worried about safety issues, buy a car! biking is about freedom, it is about the wind in your hair and your face, and you cannot experience this while wearing a helmet. sure, if you are on the track, or flat-out on your sportsbike, you need a helmet, but if you are just going out for a putt,enjoying the countryside and the fresh air, a helmet spoils the whole experience. i would rather be a free idiot, and enjoy my ride to the full, than be forced to wear a "head condom"

Unfortunately, decent studies are rarely read because both sides of the helmet law issue are steeped in emotionalism and for them opinion outweighs fact; and name-calling is the first sign of a weak argument Chuchok. :o

While I wear a helmet, at least in town, I am no fan of helmet laws because I know that they do not save lives overall. I also know that any strongly contentious issue has a truth that lies somewhere in a middle ground between the extremes of opinion.

Helmets do save lives. Helmets also take lives. And the latter tends to be more frequent no matter how you may feel about it emotionally. The road to improved safety lies in intellegent and aware riding and certainly not in developing an over-confidence that a helmet is going to protect you when you or someone else does something stupid.

Unfortunately, decent studies are rarely read because both sides of the helmet law issue are steeped in emotionalism and for them opinion outweighs fact; and name-calling is the first sign of a weak argument Chuchok. :D

While I wear a helmet, at least in town, I am no fan of helmet laws because I know that they do not save lives overall. I also know that any strongly contentious issue has a truth that lies somewhere in a middle ground between the extremes of opinion.

Helmets do save lives. Helmets also take lives. And the latter tends to be more frequent no matter how you may feel about it emotionally. The road to improved safety lies in intellegent and aware riding and certainly not in developing an over-confidence that a helmet is going to protect you when you or someone else does something stupid.

Well lets put it this way,I smacked my mellon onto a lampost.No helmet would have been a bad thig.Wearing helmet was a good thing.(No name calling :o )

If my head was ever again to hit a stationary object while my melon was moving...I'll take the helmet.

Here in Davao City were I live the mayor is very strict about wearing helmets so everyone is wearing a helmet.People also leave there helmets on there bike at the mall.....etc or wherever.I guess its kind of a mutual respect thing here about not stealing someones helmet.But most of the helmets are the cheapo ones you guys described..Hey,they steal everything else here..lol

I purchased a new bike here and was told I could not ride on the streets until I received the license plate..I asked what about having a license applied for plate with all my paper work.I was told to many people were abusing the license applied for,having never applied for a plate..I rode anyway,was stopped by the police for no plate and paid the bribe.Welcome to the Philippines...lol

Where can you get decent helmets in CM? Any shops close to Kad Sun Kaew or CMU? Thanks.

The motorbike accessories shop on Chiang Moi Road just short of the Thai Military Bank on the right hand side (going with the traffic) always has a stock of half decent helmets. Used to have a big supply of Nolans there but I'm not sure if they are sold out now.

I bought another Nolan N-37 there about three months ago, size XXL, for 1,500 baht. Shop is called Prida, it's the place with the L-shaped counter in front, big shop, and the old, bald, Chinese guy is often behind the counter.

The price you pay for a helmet tells how much you think your brain is worth. I noticed yesterday that some Thais find helmets for their six-year olds. My brainiest student died because he left the helmet in the basket and fell to the ground at zero miles per hour forward speed, and the gravity ruined his most excellent brain.

why don't we all go out and buy bikes with airbags, and roll cages! or better still, if you are worried about safety issues, buy a car! biking is about freedom, it is about the wind in your hair and your face, and you cannot experience this while wearing a helmet. sure, if you are on the track, or flat-out on your sportsbike, you need a helmet, but if you are just going out for a putt,enjoying the countryside and the fresh air, a helmet spoils the whole experience. i would rather be a free idiot, and enjoy my ride to the full, than be forced to wear a "head condom"

I experience the wind in my hair by wearing a full face helmet and having a ponytail :o Personally, I think that grown men who don't wear helmets are stupid, but I'm often mistaken. I've had two helmets now - maybe three - with big scars on the outside instead of having big scars on the outside of my face or the inside of my brain. Pardon me for being passionate about brain cells. Comments like yours help people to kill themselves.