What Do You Think Of This Idea?

V-ster

Hello All,

Just found out about this forum, and must say that this is a fantastic resource, with some very knowledgeable folks on here. Would just like to bounce an idea off some of the members here.

My situation: I'm in my late 20's, and have been working as a software engineer for the past 6 years. My previous job had me working in various places in Asia (mostly Hong Kong & Singapore), which started my love affair with Asia. Over the past several months, I've been feeling the need to take a break from the high pressure, high stress 60+ hour work weeks of this industry, and do some travelling while I'm still single with no major responsibilities. When I expressed thoughts of quitting to my employer, I was presented with an offer: so long as I've got broadband, a notebook computer, and a telephone, then go where I want, and continue to work as a contractor. As it is, I've often lugged my notebook on the occasional vacation and logged in, so this isn't too much of a stretch.

Bangkok has been my prime choice, as the cost of living is lower, it's a farang-friendly country, and especially since I've got several Thai friends there. So I've been considering renting a moderately priced apartment, signing up for DSL, and doing my work, albeit at a more sane pace, and with trips to places like Chiang Mai or Samui instead of San Fran & Las Vegas..

From what I've gathered on Thaivisa, my main problems may be network problems with some of the Thai DSL providers, and of course the hassle of visa runs should I decide to stay beyond my 60 + 30 day visa extension.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm getting advice ranging from "It's a golden opportunity, do it while you're still young!" to (my favorite) "Why in the WORLD want to go to ASIA? I'd be TERRIFIED to go there!"

Seriously though, I'd love to get some feedback from some of the members of this forum - hopefully some positive feedback too..!

Thanks muchly..

just do it.

but be careful you dont get caught up posting on this forum all day when you should be working!!! :D:D

an opertunity like that dosnt come up everyday and would be the envy of many an expat here in thailand.

course you could go back to uk or where ever and sit at a desk looking out of the window(if you get one) at the pouring rain.

listen to your heart and not what scaredy cats tell you. :o:D

Agreed doing this kinda work is not likely to catch the attention of the powers that be, but i would imagine its still illegal, par se, without the necessary documentation.

The guys got a nice life, an understanding boss and a certain amount of free reign, it would be a shame for the guy to get kicked out of the country, or worse, spend time in nick, simply because he didnt get the necessary permits etc.

Just trying to cover all bases with my question... and hopefully the good doc or another equally wise member can shed some light on this issue.

I would not worry at all about the legal aspects (work permit etc.) Unless you wear a shirt with "I'm an illegal contract employee" written in Thai then nobody will bother with you. There are tons of people who are working illegally in Thailand as the government often makes it difficult to work legally. The police don't wast too much energy tracking you down if you have a white face. I'm not even sure what you're doing would be illegal as you are not taking a job away from a Thai. You are just doing you old job for an American company. For you, your biggest worry would be that pain in the ass visa run but you should be able to sort out a nice multiple entery visa BEFORE you arrive here. Sounds like you're in a great postition. Enjoy!

Just for the record, I'll add that I'd be working for a US company, with earnings deposited into a US bank account, paying taxes to the US, and withdrawing money from ATM's in Thailand.

This seems to be a gray area -- on one hand, I'm not taking a job from a Thai person, and not offering any services or being paid by a Thai company. Yet on the other hand, I am working in Thailand. By this reasoning, technically speaking, each time I've sat in a net cafe on vacation and written a work-related e-mail could qualify as working illegally.

It's definitely a good offer, and would be a shame to flat-out quit my job when I could simply work on my notebook and check in over the Internet. Though the LAST thing in the world I'd want is to be dragged out of my apartment and tossed into the Bangkok Hilton for working illegally in the country..

I totaly agree... the chances of getting caught are extreemly slim.

Its one of those "If you wanna risk it, go for it" kind of situations, but having spent 8 hours inside an immigration cell myself, you might want to investigate the laws before making that decision. An extreemly unpleasent place to find yourself. Trust me.

Doesnt really matter if your taking a job from a Thai person or not, if your employed by a US company and being paid into a US bank account in US dollars, your still _working_ inside thailand, and i would imagine that involves permits etc.

Its a very grey/sticky situation, i just wanted to bring it to your attention before you made your decision... All it takes is for someone who knows you, knows what your doing to get p****d off at you and shop you to his/her immigration friend... they come busting in, guns at the ready and you and your puter get carted away.

Again, a situation thats not likely to happen, but you simply never know...

If you really like the country and want to stay here for any length of time, i suggest you at least try to respect the laws of the land. Thailand is a beautiful place, simply fantastic, until you get on the wrong side of the law, then its one of the most terrifying places on gods cursed earth.

But as they say in thailand... Up to you! :o

(For the record, i was arrested due to a mistake by over zelous immigration officers who refused to back down when presented with the truth... i was released and had a formal apology from the head of immigration and i beleive the arresting officer found himself "inbetween employment" the following day)

In theory you're right, but legally it's not so easy.

What is analyzed is "the center of your interests" which can be where you live and work = Thailand.

You're right, this is a grey area and shouldn't be any problem working for your US company, but you might face troubles in working for other companies or advertise (even with gelous "friends") your activity.

Sew your mouth, good work, and enjoy what Thailand and South East Asia offer to Farangs.

Go for it. There are several people doing just that in Chiang Mai at present. Some of them even have work permits to set up a Thai Bureau for their US, UK or Singapore Emoployer.

Get a work permit and pay tax in Thailand. US & Thailand have recipriocal agreements regarding taxation, so it should pose no problems.

Good luck, you should be very successful...

I have heard that work like you do,for a US company and are paid in a US bank and all you do here is on your computer ,that there is no law again it,you do nothing that effects Thailand except shoot stuff into the ether has no direct effect on Thailand., so why a work permit and pay taxes,,

If you were to open a district office then there would be employment in the country,but just doing it on your own from wherever as a contractor,I would check some legal sources. :o

Go for it. I have been trying to get my company to send me back for 8 years. I pay more in taxes than what my thai protege makes so the boss said it is not benefical to the company. I am thinking of changing my career so I can find a way to make a living in Thailand.

If I was in your shoes I would alraedy bee there.

good luck.

Get a letter from your employer stating that they want you to go to Thailand to look at opening an office in the country, and apply for a multiple entry Non-Immigrant B visa at the Royal Thai Consulate-General in Houston Tx. That one gives you a 90 day stay every time you enter Thailand, and it is valid for a full year. It is a much better option for you than the tourist visa way you are thinking about.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Doc - I could probably get my employer to write such a letter for me. Is there anything that I should or should not state in this letter that could increase my chances of getting a Non-Immigrant B?

Along the lines of ... Dear Consul, Mr Jones is employed by this company as .... and we wish to send him to Asia to represent us and to confirm our belief that there is a market for our ( expertise ) in Asia, and our preferred location is Bangkok. We would be grateful if you would favourably consider issuing a multi entry non-immigrant ' B ' visa to enable him to assess regional markets. We undertake to accept financial responsibilty for Mr Jones.

Yours Faithfully,

Along the lines of ... Dear Consul, Mr Jones is employed by this company as .... and we wish to send him to Asia to represent us and to confirm our belief that there is a market for our ( expertise ) in Asia, and our preferred location is Bangkok. We would be grateful if you would favourably consider issuing a multi entry non-immigrant ' B ' visa to enable him to assess regional markets. We undertake to accept financial responsibilty for Mr Jones.

Yours Faithfully,

Nice posts Doc.

The reason I suggest you look to open a Regional Office in Thailand, get a work permit and pay Thai taxes is it gives you the option to make your life here. If you were to decide you wished to settle down, become resident and remain here, you need to be well in the loop of taxation etc. It would also removeyou from the necessity of leaving the country every 90 days. Tou should get a yearly visa coexistent with your work permit.

If, however you are unlikely ever to want to make your life here; carry on paying US taxes and do the normal visa runs.

One other thing Doc -- could writing such a letter to the consulate pose any risk of unwanted scrutiny by the consulate officials, or by Thai immigration when possessing a Non-Immigrant B visa in-country?