Why so many Russians turn a blind eye to the war in Ukraine

Social Media

In the weeks leading up to Russia's invasion, I would walk for hours in the central Moscow district of Zamoskvorechiye, where I had lived and worked in the BBC office for seven years.

An unspoiled and peaceful part of the city, for me it embodies Russia's complex present and past.

For centuries Muscovites have come here to build homes and businesses and get on quietly with their lives, leaving their rulers to pursue greater ambitions on a bigger stage where ordinary Russians have never had a part to play.

It is bordered by the Moskva river and the Kremlin on one side, and on the other by imposing Stalinist apartment buildings and 21st Century skyscrapers on the noisy Sadovoye ring road.

A maze of narrow streets echo the past, dotted with churches and aristocratic mansions from the 19th Century. Bolshaya Ordinka street takes its name from Tatar-Mongol rule, hundreds of years before, when emissaries would come to collect tributes from Moscow's princely leaders.

I think most are conditioned by propaganda and the ones that know the truth also know what happens to those who protest the regime.so they just keep their heads down and continue with their lives trying to survive in my humble opinion they deserve better 

Condo units around Womgamat have a noticeably high number of young Russian male residents who don’t appear to enjoying anything recognizable as a vacation. 

A longtime friend who manages apartment rentals in the area tells me his biggest demand is from Russian families renting apartments for their sons, many of these families clubbing together to share costs.

I guess there are worse places to ‘hide-out’ until the ‘special operation’ passes. 

Edited by Chomper Higgot

12 hours ago, Tug said:

I think most are conditioned by propaganda and the ones that know the truth also know what happens to those who protest the regime.so they just keep their heads down and continue with their lives trying to survive in my humble opinion they deserve better 

There is no truth, just different lies.

• Thumbs Up 1