Mict Minister Sitthichai's Views On Democracy And Civilt Right

dominique355

Here some excerpts from an interview Information and Communication Technology Minister Sitthichai Pookaiyaudom gave about Internet censorship.

The full text in The Nation is here:

The Nation

"When asked if any critical but well-intended discussion about the Thai monarchy could be made on the Internet, Sitthichai responded: "Depending on the mood of the powers that be. Well, that's the way it is, my friend."

"There isn't anything much that we can't talk about. In Thailand, we have only one topic that people with good taste do not talk about," he said, in reference to any critical talk about the institution of monarchy. "We're very free people."

"Another young Thai female journalist, apparently very upset about the role of the ICT Ministry in recently blocking YouTube, asked Sitthichai, "What right do you have to block the whole [expletive] thing?"

"When you grow up, you'll understand more," he replied. "

Isn't it amazing the understanding of Democracy and Freedom this man has? And the arrogance he has responding to the people is just unheard of.

Well, that's obviously what happens if people with no education in Political Science, Law, Civil Rights or just simple Politeness come to power at gunpoint, not having to bother about responsibility to those who elected him.

It's high time this person steps down.

The problem is that since he didn't come to his position through qualifications there is neither anyone else that recognises this fact in the upper echelon nor is there anyone with any insentive to remove him - they might be next.

That would be like having a policeforce that followed the law, unheard of.

And his view on democrazy and free speech is more in the region "less is more".

"Another young Thai female journalist, apparently very upset about the role of the ICT Ministry in recently blocking YouTube, asked Sitthichai, "What right do you have to block the whole [expletive] thing?"

I'm going to remember to invoke this very intelligent response on TV when I can't think of any rational response.

I'm going to remember to invoke this very intelligent response on TV when I can't think of any rational response.

his response to me could mean one of two things both which make sense, even if you don't agree with them:

1) I'm an old fart, I'm older than you. So you listen to me, sonny (or girly).

2) I've been presured into this, I've had no choice, and one day you'll come to understand that you can win every battle and can't be idealistic when working with the Thai government. This ain't an episode of the 'West Wing'.

In the Nation print edition yesterday there as a discussion section relating to blogsphere comments about this. Some, as here, were arguing that the questioners were being impolite so creating the level of response {sexist and patronising}. Others, however, took the view that the minister treated the whole thing as some sort of joke.

I wasn't there so it is difficult to adjudge, but my impression speaking to some who were, is that the prevailing attitude is summed up by the negative connotations of the "When you grow up, you'll understand more," line.

Power without responsibility and in this case virtually no relevant knowledge.

Good HR call that.

Regards

PS Wonder if he was carrying is favourite gun that day?

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller