Trace Element Fertilizer

You would be better off getting some cow manure, that contains most trace elements. plus, some NPK.

Where I am dairy farmers are selling dry cow manure for about 20/bag for, we use it on all our fruit trees, and they seem to do well on it, we do have our own cattle as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, kickstart said:

You would be better off getting some cow manure, that contains most trace elements. plus, some NPK.

Where I am dairy farmers are selling dry cow manure for about 20/bag for, we use it on all our fruit trees, and they seem to do well on it, we do have our own cattle as well.

During  the rainy (flood) season we open one of our higher fields to local people who keep cows and so have in exchange a good supply of cow dung which I compost for 12 months before use.

But I don’t think it has the necessary trace elements, the cows can’t add elements that aren’t available to them.

I’ve found a foliage fertilizer that has the trace elements I’m looking for but don’t want to spray with the risks of inhaling.

If I can’t find an alternative I’ll use this by applying to the irrigation system. It is soluble and I could make an inductor to mix it into the irrigation lines downstream of the pumps.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

During  the rainy (flood) season we open one of our higher fields to local people who keep cows and so have in exchange a good supply of cow dung which I compost for 12 months before use.

But I don’t think it has the necessary trace elements, the cows can’t add elements that aren’t available to them.

I’ve found a foliage fertilizer that has the trace elements I’m looking for but don’t want to spray with the risks of inhaling.

If I can’t find an alternative I’ll use this by applying to the irrigation system. It is soluble and I could make an inductor to mix it into the irrigation lines downstream of the pumps.

Terminology issue. "Trace elements' means different things to different people. To me it means the minerals that occur in the soil and in soil amendments products in truly 'trace' amounts and are usually not included in a routine soil test for chemcial farming: Chromium, Cobalt, Iodine, Molybdenum, Selenium, Nickel, etc.  These are best obtained from excellent trace mineral souces like kelp, Azomite and granite rock dust, and chelated by additon of humic substances (All available from Best Garden State on FB and LINE)

Are you referring to those, or to what is usually called "micro-nutrients" or "secondary elements", Boron, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Zinc?  These secondary elements can be found in some fertilizer products, especially in a good COF (complete organic fertilizer) like Organic Totto's Bokashi, or some of the COF products from Best Garden State. And you can also find these mixed and formulated for foliar fertilizer. I buy packets of a mix like this from a local ag shop in MaeJo, Chiang Mai.   BTW, don't be afraid to spray foliar fertilizer. Be afraid of not researching what you are using and of not suiting up with PPEs for any concentrated substances that you apply, sprays, powders, etc, including biologicals, botanicals and chemicals. 

A better way is to cultivate the soil biology, which effectively mines these substances from the mineral soil and rock, and cycles nutrients without the need for so much input of expensive fertilizers. See Soil Food Web and Regenerative Ag literature and videos. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Terminology issue. "Trace elements' means different things to different people. To me it means the minerals that occur in the soil and in soil amendments products in truly 'trace' amounts and are usually not included in a routine soil test for chemcial farming: Chromium, Cobalt, Iodine, Molybdenum, Selenium, Nickel, etc.  These are best obtained from excellent trace mineral souces like kelp, Azomite and granite rock dust, and chelated by additon of humic substances (All available from Best Garden State on FB and LINE)

Are you referring to those, or to what is usually called "micro-nutrients" or "secondary elements", Boron, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Zinc?  These secondary elements can be found in some fertilizer products, especially in a good COF (complete organic fertilizer) like Organic Totto's Bokashi, or some of the COF products from Best Garden State. And you can also find these mixed and formulated for foliar fertilizer. I buy packets of a mix like this from a local ag shop in MaeJo, Chiang Mai.   BTW, don't be afraid to spray foliar fertilizer. Be afraid of not researching what you are using and of not suiting up with PPEs for any concentrated substances that you apply, sprays, powders, etc, including biologicals, botanicals and chemicals. 

A better way is to cultivate the soil biology, which effectively mines these substances from the mineral soil and rock, and cycles nutrients without the need for so much input of expensive fertilizers. See Soil Food Web and Regenerative Ag literature and videos. 

Thanks for taking time to make such a helpful response.

From your definitions I’m looking for micro nutrients, which I’ve found in a foliant fertilizer.

I suffer a chronic lung disease and therefore I am reluctant to use any aerosol dispensing method no matter what the MSDS says.

I agree entirely on soil improvement and will post later on my on going composting project which this year has produced 7m^3 of compost and I hope to at least double that next year.

Again, thank you for your informative post.