Transferring large amounts from Australia (CBA) to Thailand (SCB) What's to know?

Up to now I've only done small transfers under $10K via OFX, but I'm considering selling the apartment I own in Perth and will need to transfer around $300K after the sale, so is this difficult to do? What's involved?

There is no difficulty in doing what you what you to do.

The difficulty is in obtaining the best financial outcome to match your circumstances.

You need to post more details about your circumstances if you want a more complete recommendation.

The process to achieve the transfer is not that important.

A lot of posters on this forum use Wise for the transfer.

I personally know of someone who previously used OFX and are now using Wise for transfers.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, LosLobo said:

There is no difficulty in doing what you what you to do.

The difficulty is in obtaining the best financial outcome to match your circumstances.

You need to post more details about your circumstances if you want a more complete recommendation.

The process to achieve the transfer is not that important.

A lot of posters on this forum use Wise for the transfer.

I personally know of someone who previously used OFX and are now using Wise for transfers.

Thanks for your reply. I'll check Wise. As for more details about my circumstances, well what more do you need? Aussie citizen, I have Aussie bank account, when I sell the flat I'll have approx $aud 300K paid into my CBA account and I want to know the easiest, fastest, least complicated way to get that money into my Thailand bank.

16 minutes ago, grain said:

Thanks for your reply. I'll check Wise. As for more details about my circumstances, well what more do you need? Aussie citizen, I have Aussie bank account, when I sell the flat I'll have approx $aud 300K paid into my CBA account and I want to know the easiest, fastest, least complicated way to get that money into my Thailand bank.

You are just repeating the info that we already know.

What type of visa do you have?

What do you need the full 300k in Thailand for.

Do you have much experience in Thailand? 

Will you ever need to repatriate any of the 300k?

Etc

All these will affect the content of my response.....

Edited by LosLobo
16 hours ago, LosLobo said:

You are just repeating the info that we already know.

What type of visa do you have?

What do you need the full 300k in Thailand for.

Do you have much experience in Thailand? 

Will you ever need to repatriate any of the 300k?

Etc

All these will affect the content of my response.....

I've lived in Thailand for many years, on retirement ext. The money will be used for living expenses in Thailand, I could consider buying a condo too, and I won't repatriate any of it. What I want to know doesn't really concern the Thailand end but the Australia end. Are there regulations about that amount, special forms/declarations, will their be deductions in Australia?

There may be tax implications from selling your property, such as Capital Gains Tax.

If you are living in Thailand now you may have lost your Australian residency status and be subject to higher tax for this.

Cash from sale of this property may be able to put into your Super which may have some advantages.

Suggest you may need expert advice here.

Transfer entities need to report overseas transfer transactions over 10k to Austrac.

How you answer questions from the provider when you do the transfer may affect the coding in Thai banks of the transaction.

This may affect Thai Immigration's acceptance of funds when applyíng for some Non O visas & extensions.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Like 1
On 3/20/2023 at 6:27 AM, grain said:

I've lived in Thailand for many years, on retirement ext. The money will be used for living expenses in Thailand, I could consider buying a condo too,

Why not just transfer the money for living expenses as you it. Same with the condo.  When you have settled on a property, transfer that amount.

Why do you think you need to move the lot to Thailand, and what benefit would you achieve by doing so?