NE Thai company producing floating homes - Thais and foreigners ordering "Hobbit" dwellings

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that business was booming for a Khon Kaen, NE Thailand, company that is producing made to order floating homes.

The media called them Hobbit houses.

The floating homes and larger restaurants known as "phae" in Thai are proving popular with both Thais and foreigners.

Pong Hingkok, 58, the owner of Sapsiri 2019 Co Ltd in Hua Thung sub-district showed the media his production facility that is on 10 rai of land.

The floating homes have three meter wide tubes called HDPE.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Purdey said:

I would like to know if foreigners can park these anywhere without issues with police and land department. There's no land so you would think you could get away with it, but there will always be a catch.

Visa/ your home address?

29 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

As I recall, the anchored homestead lay beyond Thailand's sovereign territory - exceeding 12 nautical miles. But floated within Thailand's Economic Zone. Legally according to Thai authorities, it's location violated Thailand's EZ because residents could catch seafood from the homestead within the EZ that would belong to Thailand as a natural resource. 

Also note as I recall, the homestead was owned by a married couple - Thai wife and foreign husband. So there was some ambiguity as to violation of the EZ, ie., by foreigners.

Also that the homestead that was floated out to sea by a Thai boat/tug and legally manufactured in plain view in Thailand. The couple had advertised selling and creating a "neighborhood" of similar homesteads for the same area. Again potentially disturbing Thailand's economic interests without permission.

Regardless, I believe that the Thai Navy unilaterally removed the homestead (to protect Thailand's sovereignty which was not at issue?).  But I don't think anyone was prosecuted.

So then the floating Hobbit rafts will be allowed......is that your point.  I know there are actual floating villages in some places, but no true Houseboat communities outside of the ones I know of in the US.

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So then the floating Hobbit rafts will be allowed......is that your point.  I know there are actual floating villages in some places, but no true Houseboat communities outside of the ones I know of in the US.

"A community not a commodity, a property developer is trying to remove Chelsea houseboats".

Home of Chelsea Houseboats | Chelsea Reach Boatowners' Association (chelseaboats.co.uk)

8 hours ago, nglodnig said:

The last bit is easy - you're on the sea remember?

Not necessarily on the sea but on water.

It is NOT OK to pump untreated sewage into the water, especially right where you live. You will have waste toilet water complete with its contents which smell and will stick to any surface. Grey water from the washing machine plus water from washing, cleaning your teeth and from having a shower.

It would all need to be treated and pumped to a septic tank on land, which will need emptying at least once or twice a year.