Airbnb sees strong international travel rebound in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg
Bangkok, pictured, is the top destination of choice for global travellers on Airbnb

By TTG Asia

Airbnb’s latest data revealed that bookings in Thailand on Airbnb more than doubled last year from 2020, with Bangkok emerging as the top destination of choice for global travellers on Airbnb.

The capital city was listed as the number one trending destination globally for Airbnb guests in 3Q2022, and number five on Airbnb’s list of top trending global travel spots in 2023.

Bangkok was the top most booked Thai destination on Airbnb in 2022, closely followed by Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Koh Samui. Driving this strong momentum are travellers from the US, with other top countries and regions of origin from the UK, Europe, and Asia-Pacific including South Korea, Australia, and China.

The resurgence in China outbound travel from 4Q2022 has been instrumental to the rebound in international travellers in Thailand, and continues to be a bright spot for the country this year.

As more people travel to reconnect with loved ones, group travel in Thailand on Airbnb surged over 300% year-on-year in 2022. This comes as family travel on the global platform increased 60% in 2022 compared to pre-pandemic, with more families booking Airbnb stays for their value and space. Nearly 90% of Airbnb stays have kitchens, 25% have three bedrooms or more, and more than a million have cribs for small children.

Full story: https://www.ttgasia.com/2023/03/24/airbnb-sees-strong-international-travel-rebound-in-thailand/

ttgasia-logo.png
-- © Copyright TTG ASIA 2023-03-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

There lies the problem with Airbnb host allowing it to happen

I once rented out a house, via an agent... to a man that came to visit alone

then I found 7-9 people moving in, where I thought a normal family of 4 would come...

as long as they paid the rent and left the house in the same state they rented, and paid the utilities...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, khunano said:

Indeed it is! Just stayed in two different Airbnbs in Hua Hin, both places displayed this sign 55520230324_182928.thumb.jpg.058a3b571bc5ac49f2b364b0ac59a746.jpg

There is an easy workaround if you want to be 100% legal. Make a 1 month rental contract, then cancel the contract after whatever number of days the guests want to stay.

Edited by JoseThailand
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, khunano said:

Indeed it is! Just stayed in two different Airbnbs in Hua Hin, both places displayed this sign 55520230324_182928.thumb.jpg.058a3b571bc5ac49f2b364b0ac59a746.jpg

and yet you stayed there and post for all to see how you broke the law...ha ha ha, how funny...unless you happen to be an owner in the building that does not want to have a gang of tourists coming and going, clogging elevators and pools, turning your building into a sex hotel, and generally upsetting the vibe of an owner occupied building

airbnb should be sued as they know damn well they enable breaking the local laws but all they want is the green...and people who book illegal airbnb should be kicked out. 555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woke up this morning to find half a dozen emails from AirBnB confrming my booking on the 28th April for Dark Skies Hideaway in Texas, Vickie is the host - slight problem - I never made the booking. Tried contacting AB to get it cancelled (and find out HOW the booking was made) and contacted Vickie - who was unhelpful. AFAIK there is no way they can the money out of me (I hope).....

I had recently made a flight booking on Trip.com - coincidence?

Edited by nglodnig

15 hours ago, john donson said:

And I thought airbnb was illegal if not 30 days contract ?

my understanding is that short-term rentals are 'legal' if the dwelling has four rooms or less, eg. a house or a villa. in that case the property owner can apply for an exemption under the Hotels Act.

this somewhat convoluted article attempts to explain it. other articles I've read say much the same and they all seem to waffle on like this one. bullet points would be simpler.

https://www.thethailandlife.com/airbnb-thailand

Edited by Lemsta69

21 hours ago, webfact said:

The capital city was listed as the number one trending destination globally for Airbnb guests in 3Q2022, and number five on Airbnb’s list of top trending global travel spots in 2023.

Bangkok the smog city?

14 hours ago, khunano said:

Depending on the price relative to other options my guess is some people might rent for one month even though they only stay in it for 2-3 weeks. 

10 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

my understanding is that short-term rentals are 'legal' if the dwelling has four rooms or less, eg. a house or a villa. in that case the property owner can apply for an exemption under the Hotels Act.

this somewhat convoluted article attempts to explain it. other articles I've read say much the same and they all seem to waffle on like this one. bullet points would be simpler.

https://www.thethailandlife.com/airbnb-thailand

In a nutshell effectively what the court ruled is that in the case of condos, the number of rooms for letting purposes must be taken as the whole building, irrespective of what is individually owned.

14 hours ago, pomchop said:

and yet you stayed there and post for all to see how you broke the law...ha ha ha, how funny...unless you happen to be an owner in the building that does not want to have a gang of tourists coming and going, clogging elevators and pools, turning your building into a sex hotel, and generally upsetting the vibe of an owner occupied building

airbnb should be sued as they know damn well they enable breaking the local laws but all they want is the green...and people who book illegal airbnb should be kicked out. 555

Calm down buddy don't get yourself all worked up.

14 hours ago, pomchop said:

Time to grow up.

It is not Airbnb at fault, it is the developers building too many condos with insufficient viable customers. Empty units have been sold off to the wrong people hoping to make money renting them out.

Nothing new in that. Back in the 80s unsold timeshare on the Costa Del Fortune was offered to all the major holiday companies in Europe. Those that had bought and paid were having their "vibe" disrupted by intoxicated Europeans partying all night long.

Every chance that some that partied the night away are now sitting in condos complaining.