Chadchart Imposes Quadruple Ban This Songkran

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said preparations are underway to celebrate Songkran next month but a quadruple ban is being imposed with this being no sale and consumption of alcohol, using high-pressure water guns, smearing powder and wearing revealing clothes,

Back flip will come tomorrow.

Back flip.gif

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK Governor Chadchart Sittipunt said preparations are underway to celebrate Songkran next month but a quadruple ban is being imposed with this being no sale and consumption of alcohol, using high-pressure water guns, smearing powder and wearing revealing clothes, Naewna newspaper said.

Sounds reasonable, but one would need a definition of revealing clothes. Is it nipples and/or kitten outline?

Edited by KiChakayan

I'm no fan of the mutant horror that now impersonates Songkhran, but it doesn't seem a very good idea, vis-a-vis tourist expectations, to effectively cancel just about everything that has become it's "substance".

Seems likely there will be more than a few foreign tourists saying "what the ****!" on the interweb and telling their mates not to bother next year.

Perhaps not such a great move coming hot on the heels of well advertised, alleged, threats to Chinese tourists.

Well is he only speaking about his fiefdom of Bangkok?

And even so who is he going to enlist to enforce his fanciful notions? - the lacklustre brown shirts? (who on normal, non manic, days can't even get plastic hats on motorcyclist's heads with any degree of effectiveness).

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I've been all over Thailand and it appears very similar everywhere. Lao Khao, pick-up trucks, horrible music, soaking each other with water and silly shirts.

My apologies for not making it clear.

I was talking about the family Songkran as practised in rural Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I've been all over Thailand and it appears very similar everywhere. Lao Khao, pick-up trucks, horrible music, soaking each other with water and silly shirts.

And that, is exactly what Songkran means to millions of Thais. After 4 years, surely Chadchart should know that. TBH Songkran in central Bangkok is pretty <deleted> poor IMO. Better out in the suburbs such as Khlong Luang etc. The most fun Songkrans I experienced were down in Nakhon Si Thammarat. Total chaos!

• Thumbs Up 1

Songkran has its disadvantages, and it can get out of hand.  BUT closing Cowboy, Patpong and NANA as well as all the other bars, is going a little overboard.

I am actually none of the power-drinking crowd has caught that,  

There will still be water fights in designated areas.

There will still be the girls with tops so wet you can see their bras.

there will not be the girls running around in bikini tops or just their bras or sheer shorts.

MOST IMPORTANTLY THERE WILL BE NO ALCOHOL SALES DURING THE SONGKRAN TIME PERIOD.  Therefore like I sid ther willbe no NAN plaza no soi Cowboy and no pp as well as any other bars in the Bangkok region.

How many of yo guys can go 3 days with no bubbly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... the pseudo puritanism continues.... 

I think he is trying to appease the crowd against drunk driving and the wild out-of-control times at Patpong and Kao san as well as the traditional thai people that do not like the water splashing.

The big problem is that he is killing the bar business and sending all the bar girls back home.

14 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

I think he is trying to appease the crowd against drunk driving

What crowd against drunk driving ??..... isn’t that the issue in Thailand, that there is no ‘crowd’ against drunk driving ???....  it seems the only time people are against drunk driving here is when they are impacted by it !!!... 

and the wild out-of-control times at Patpong and Kao san

The general public only find out about that when a few katoeys get photographed with their norks out and the police and puritanical officials generate far more publicity about how it brings Thailand into disrepute !!! 

as well as the traditional thai people that do not like the water splashing.

The traditional thai’s who do not like water splashing are not going to be in these area’s anyway... 

but.. its seems they may not want others enjoying themselves water spashing as it was done 100 years ago !! 

The big problem is that he is killing the bar business and sending all the bar girls back home.

Completely suffocating it...   as if they haven’t struggled enough with Songkran !!!

Bar’s are a major attraction for many tourists to Thailand...  I don't know why they are so readily targeted.... the bars and businesses such as this need support.. they get the opposite. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Last couple of years been nice in the village .. but expect this year will be drink feast and 

blaring music all day for 5-7 days… 

Enjoy! Get in the party mood...