Cement mixer plows into ordination parade in NE - three dead, many injuries - driver fled scene

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Three dead, multiple injuries

Daily News reported on a serious accident in the north east of Thailand when a cement mixer collided with a vehicle that was part of an ordination parade, then hit another truck and ended up in a roadside ditch.

The driver fled the scene in the confusion as rescue personnel attended to the dead and people with injuries.

The carnage resulted in the death of three women named as Thawin, Sopha and Suban.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

One died at the scene and two were pronounced dead in Cheun Chom Hospital.

The accident happened on the Chiang Yeun to Klong Yai Road in Kutpladuk sub-district of Mahasarakham yesterday.

Thirteen people were injured with some transferred to hospitals in Mahasarakham and Khon Kaen.

Witnesses said that the cement mixer lost control at a bend and hit the vehicle in the parade then another truck.

Police are hunting for the driver who fled the scene.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-03-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

RIP to all, but how many exactly were illegally traveling (standing) in the back of the truck, no real excuse for the cement truck to hit them, but I've seen these parades, all standing, playing drums etc. dancing about, and hogging the road, causing tailbacks. just saying. :coffee1:

Yes, I've seen it many times and I'm minded to ask whether front and rear' markers' had been posted to warn approaching traffic of the slow moving parade. These kind of accidents rarely result from one factor alone.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Witnesses said that the cement mixer lost control at a bend and hit the vehicle in the parade then another truck.

Police are hunting for the driver who fled the scene.

I don’t understand why the driver fled the scene. It’s obvious he wasn’t at fault as it seems the cement mixer lost control all by itself. 

• Haha 2

All these comments about who did what and what was missing to ensure the safety of people completely miss the point. 
This is Thailand, the unconquerable nation that has never been ruled by Westerners, they do it their way so don’t bring your “elf and safety “ here, nobody listens.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

RIP to all, but how many exactly were illegally traveling (standing) in the back of the truck, no real excuse for the cement truck to hit them, but I've seen these parades, all standing, playing drums etc. dancing about, and hogging the road, causing tailbacks. just saying. :coffee1:

The cement truck looks as though it will carry 9 cubic metres so the all up weight would be 22.5 tons of concrete, plus the weight of the truck, say another 5 or 6 tons.

The problem as I see it, was NOT the people standing in the trucks, but the stupid concrete truck driver, who was most probably driving recklessly and too fast, IMO.

That was proved as the truck driver did a runner.

• Like 2