Timing belts/chains cars Thailand

Mansell

I suspect the manual for periodic maintenance only covers the first 90,000 kms. Hence the dealership quandary.

My Suzuki has 96,000 so I'm in the same boat. Luckily? my nearest dealer switched to Ford so I'll have to go to a local guy recommended by some of my friends.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, digbeth said:

They're correct that there is no timing belt on the Ciaz, it uses timing chain, which should last longer than 100,000km

maybe the don't understand what chain means

Yes the swift has a timing chain. No need to change it as one would do with a belt. 

Timing Chain  โซ่เพลาลูกเบี้ยว

Timing belt  สายพานเพลาลูกเบี้ยว

Timing chains should last longer than 100k.

I had a similar difficult discussion at my Mazda dealer/service at 140k.

Now I have a handwritten notice on the bill saying 180000 km.

I have not made the effort to decipher handwritten text :biggrin:

You could do a last try with your dealer and then follow advice for a "farang friendly" garage. I know that there are such in the Pattaya area. Was too lazy to go there on last visit.

timingchain.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

FYI. Timing belt in Thai is สายพาน,Si-Pan ,and that is the Thai word for almost any drive belt, but must garages should know what you are on about. 

Timing chain in Thai  is โซ Sor, no confusion as they is only one chain in a car/pickup engine.

As has been said chains as they run in oil will last a lot longer than a belt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Suzuki Thailand lists service schedule up to 150,000 km....

none of the listed periodical services mention a timing belt change.

Yeah, I'm thinking the mechanics are likely confused as I've never heard of an engine requiring a timing chain replacement at 100k km. Even 100k miles would be considered conservative. I was under the impression they last 100's of thousands of km these days and aren't changed unless there are signs of impending failure. It could be a Suzuki thing but if it were I'd imagine the Suzuki mechanics would have figured out what OP was wanting done.

I've quite a bit of experience in the motor industry through our long-established car sales and service business in the UK.  The Suzuki K-series engines are about as bullet-proof as it gets. Provided oil changes are not neglected the timing chain should last the life of the engine - 200k km or more.

The important thing on your car is to look after the Jatco CVT7 transmission. Change fluid every 30k km and be sure to use the latest spec CVT fluid - DO NOT use 'universal' CVT fluids. Also change the pick up screen AND the paper filter element (which often gets overlooked).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, mran66 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_K_engine#K12B

Suzuki K engine is used in Ciaz and Swift and is indeed a chain engine, thus the reaction in shop if you try to convince them to chain the belt.

I guess practically lasts for life in regular oil changes done properly.

Sometimes, chains can be noisy too, when worn out.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:34 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Timing Chain  โซ่เพลาลูกเบี้ยว

Timing belt  สายพานเพลาลูกเบี้ยว

โซ่ราวลิ้น for timing chain

and

สายพานราวลิ้น for the timing belt is more widely used lingo

ลูกเบี้ยว is correct word for cam but it is not used in this context

สายพานหน้าเครื่อง is for all the serpentine belts in front of the engine, alternator, starter, a/c compressor

• Like 2