Income Letter for Marriage Visa question...

Hi All...I am organizing a marriage visa application up here in Sakhon Nakhon using the Declaration of Income letter from my embassy...my question, the wife rang immigration today and said they were fine with my Embassy Declaration as i had left them a copy last week which needed to be reviewed by the Chief...anyway, after my wife spoke with them she said they were also looking for some sort of monthly 40k baht documentation into my Thai bank account from overseas...so now i'm a bit confused because i understood that the Embassy income declaration would satisfy the money aspect of the visa application...anyways, i sure hope i can get some clarity before i return to the Immigration office next week...thanks in advance for any help...James

28 minutes ago, NZAMBOY said:

...anyway, after my wife spoke with them she said they were also looking for some sort of monthly 40k baht documentation into my Thai bank account from overseas...so now i'm a bit confused because i understood that the Embassy income declaration would satisfy the money aspect of the visa application.

Yes, you're right, the rule is 40k per month into your Thai account or a 'confirmation of income letter' from your embassy. (Presumably NZ) Not both.

Someone down there has got themselves confused, possibly the young recruits who run the reception nowadays. Go and have a chat with them. They are very reasonable folks in the S. N. office. I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

• Love It 1

13 hours ago, NZAMBOY said:

marriage visa application

Precisely what do you mean by this expression? An application for an annual extension of stay based on marriage? Or for the conversion of a visa-exempt or tourist visa entry into a non-O visa for marriage, for which the official requirements are clearly spelt out in the link below (section 7 is particularly relevant in the context of your specific query)?

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Is NZ one of the countries allowed and authorized to do letters?  Was the letter based on money going into a Thai bank account or one in NZ.

If it is based on a Thai account, then they may want to see it to believe it.  If NZ then take copies of your monthly statements with you

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

Is NZ one of the countries allowed and authorized to do letters?  Was the letter based on money going into a Thai bank account or one in NZ.

If it is based on a Thai account, then they may want to see it to believe it.  If NZ then take copies of your monthly statements with you

If having to prove it, then what is the point of submitting  "Declaration of Income" sworn document???

13 minutes ago, NZAMBOY said:

If having to prove it, then what is the point of submitting  "Declaration of Income" sworn document???

Have you been to immigration yet because for a 1 year extension of stay for marriage needs copies of a lot more than the declaration thing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just for clarification > I presume from what you wrote that you entered Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, and that you want to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  If that is indeed the case, the document that OJAS provided spells out the requirements for such application.

And to meet the financial requirements it is indeed EITHER 7.1 (Embassy issued Income statement) or 7.2 (Thai Bank statement showing 400K on a personal Thai bank-account). 

Probably some confusion/lost in translation issue by the Sakhon Nakhon Imm Officer, so do go there and have the issue clarified. 

Note: Do bring a printed copy of the Requirements document, but be aware that Imm Offices can add additional requirements on top of the official requirements.  But in your case it is a clear-cut 7.1 OR 7.2 clause that needs to be met, and not both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Someone down there has got themselves confused, possibly the young recruits who run the reception nowadays.

One time I arrived at my local office and when I spoke to such a young receptionist in English he just giggled. Very professional, having a receptionist who doesn't understand English working in a position where most of the people he needs to deal with know little or no Thai. And like who on another occasion there was a female IO wearing a rabbit ear headset.

• Like 1

I guess that the Embassy letter is the "Affidavit for marriage" in which you declare to have a certain "minimum income" to be able to marry in Thailand.

This "Affidavit" has no relation to the "Proof of income" from Immigration, which requires a declaration from an OFFICIAL INSTANCE IN THAILAND of a minimum income of 40,00 Baht or the sum of 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account.

The "Affidavit" is based on YOUR declarations, while the "Letter of Income" is a signed letter from a Bank director in Thailand.

Edited by Confuscious
Clarifiy
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Go to Laos.
seems like you are trying to provide an affidavit, instead of "proof" with a guaranty

A letter of guarantee from the local or overseas
Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension
of the Applicant not less than Baht 40,000/month and
show source of Income

to myself, this reads as if it applies to pensions you have paid into a home account
which you can also provide proof of source
they likely require this letter as the (uncheckable) proof means nothing without the guaranty
a letter from a Thai bank can be confirmed,
a printed off statement of your account in your home country cannot.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, NZAMBOY said:

From the Embassy:

Legalisation of documents

Legalisation is official confirmation that the signature of the civil servant that has signed a document, or the seal or stamp on the document, is legitimate.

The enbassy will only legalise that your signature is legitimate.
NOT your declaration.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, NZAMBOY said:

OP, you missed this post from @OJAS....

"Precisely what do you mean by this expression? An application for an annual extension of stay based on marriage? Or for the conversion of a visa-exempt or tourist visa entry into a non-O visa for marriage,...." 

Answer that question and you will receive more accurate replies. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NZAMBOY said:

In your case you might, in practice, only need to provide proof to Immigration in the form of evidence provided to your home country embassy as required to issue their letter. No big deal, I would have thought!

In the meantime, we're still awaiting your clarification as to whether it's actually a non-O visa conversion from your local office that you're after, or an annual extension of stay.????

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Confuscious said:

I guess that the Embassy letter is the "Affidavit for marriage" in which you declare to have a certain "minimum income" to be able to marry in Thailand.

Not necessarily so. The Embassy letter in the OP's case might take the form of a confirmation of monthly income as based on supporting evidence provided by the applicant (as was certainly the case for us Brits before our "beloved" Embassy pulled the plug on their income confirmation service a few years ago).

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Confuscious said:

From the Embassy:

Legalisation of documents

Legalisation is official confirmation that the signature of the civil servant that has signed a document, or the seal or stamp on the document, is legitimate.

The enbassy will only legalise that your signature is legitimate.
NOT your declaration.

Which Embassy? May not necessarily be the same as the OP's!

On 3/30/2023 at 10:17 AM, NZAMBOY said:

The problem was that different countries just accepted what they were told. Remember that you are dealing with Thai immigration always better to have everything. Also if using a Thai bank I don't think if you have the bank stuff you need the letter 

11 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The problem was that different countries just accepted what they were told. Remember that you are dealing with Thai immigration always better to have everything. Also if using a Thai bank I don't think if you have the bank stuff you need the letter 

I'll butt in again like it or not, all the OP really needs to to do is go to the Thai immigration office covering the province he is going stay and they will tell him what copies of paperwork he needs to get a 1 year extension to stay in Thailand for marriage, this thread has become a joke. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I'll butt in again like it or not, all the OP really needs to to do is go to the Thai immigration office covering the province he is going stay and they will tell him what copies of paperwork he needs to get a 1 year extension to stay in Thailand for marriage, this thread has become a joke. 

It's only a joke due to OP almost zero engagement.

Happens ofen.

If he had provided clear details when asked by experienced posters he may have received answers. 

He provided sfa.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's only a joke due to OP almost zero engagement.

Happens ofen.

If he had provided clear details when asked by experienced posters he may have received answers. 

He provided sfa.

exactly. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Out of general interest, it is really the case that a retired man cannot use a pension confirmation from his Embassy, which he has done for 15 years, for his annual application if he changes his visa status from a retirement visa to a married visa, but then have to deposit THB 400xxx even if his pension confirmation shows more than three times that sum and the pension proof is issued by one of the countries from which Thai immigration still accepts pension confirmation/income letter! Btw, personally, I'm not going to change my visa status, but if the above is the case, "those in brown" have lost my last bit of respect that was left.

Felt

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Out of general interest, it is really the case that a retired man cannot use a pension confirmation from his Embassy, which he has done for 15 years, for his annual application if he changes his visa status from a retirement visa to a married visa, but then have to deposit THB 400xxx even if his pension confirmation shows more than three times that sum and the pension proof is issued by one of the countries from which Thai immigration still accepts pension confirmation/income letter! Btw, personally, I'm not going to change my visa status, but if the above is the case, "those in brown" have lost my last bit of respect that was left.

Felt

Before you condem people for doing there job go along to your local immigration office and talk through with an officer your money situation and what they will be satisfied with you showing them earnings whatever to approve your stay. 

I'm sure when UK embassy dump UK people staying here the Thai immigration excepted another way to show income.

Edited by Kwasaki

12 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Before you condem people for doing there job go along to your local immigration office and talk through with an officer your money situation and what they will be satisfied with you showing them earnings whatever to approve your stay. 

I'm sure when UK embassy dump UK people staying here the Thai immigration excepted another way to show income.

General interest is not about me.  ???? Do not Condemn  like all the other posts on this forum. Well look at it the way you want but a public department /organisation include their laws which not can tolerate critic will never move forward.

Felt????

• Haha 1