Digital Camera

macb

what's your views on the above it looks like I got to buy a new one ;

What about the Canon ixus ? I know its donw to what you want to do with pics etc, basically Weddings pics for Thai visa and family/general shots ;

Lets say I want to spend 10000 bht

One camera may suit one person but not another.

If I was looking for a new camera I would visit a site such as:- http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Go through the cameras in your price range and make a note of what you like.

Take yourself off to the camera shop and ask to see the cameras on your list.

Get the feel for each camera. Some will sit easier in your hands than others.

Compare each one before you make a final decision.

A shop in BKK where you can compare prices is:-http://www.fotofile.net/index.php?lang=en

Good luck!

One camera may suit one person but not another.

If I was looking for a new camera I would visit a site such as:- http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Go through the cameras in your price range and make a note of what you like.

Take yourself off to the camera shop and ask to see the cameras on your list.

Get the feel for each camera. Some will sit easier in your hands than others.

Compare each one before you make a final decision.

A shop in BKK where you can compare prices is:-http://www.fotofile.net/index.php?lang=en

Good luck!

Thanks for that will have a look at the sites

My Ricoh Caplio R5 has worked well over the past tree months and possibly a thousand photos.

Has a multi-shot feature that allows it to take up to 16consecutive images in about 2 seconds just by holding the shutter release button down

I'm also in the market for a new camera and appreciate the response. But right now I'm in europe; am I better off buying here, in Paris, for price and later models compared to Thaialnd?

Well I bought my Fuji in UK three yrs ago now its packed up, I am wondering if its something to do with the electricity which fluctuates and I had an adaptor as my charger was a three pin. I would suggest buying in Thailand, I had the same occurrence with the adapter on my lap top it was alos three pin with an adapter

I'm also in the market for a new camera and appreciate the response. But right now I'm in europe; am I better off buying here, in Paris, for price and later models compared to Thaialnd?

Well I bought my Fuji in UK three yrs ago now its packed up, I am wondering if its something to do with the electricity which fluctuates and I had an adaptor as my charger was a three pin. I would suggest buying in Thailand, I had the same occurrence with the adapter on my lap top it was alos three pin with an adapter

The good thing with the Sony CyberShot is the battery has to be taken out and charged in a seperate charger, so if the fluctuating current buggers up the battery/charger they are easily replaced without having to buy a new camera.

Totster :o

I was looking at the sony SLR and was abit put off by the $$? And was really considering the Cannon or Nikon. What are other peoples opinions?

how much is your budget? Well, for example for entry level you may want to consider Nikon D40 (6Mp), Nikon D40x (10Mp) or Canon 400D (8Mp). Price wise I would get the D40 as it is just as good as the D40x and 400D.

Be aware of which kind of memory cards are used in the cameras... The best way to get pictures to a computer is by removing the card and putting it into a usb card reader... many laptops have an SD slot already in them... The sony cameras all seem to use a sony proprietary "memory stick" which is a pain and only used in sony products... I think SD memory is the most compatible... If you use the SD memory think about getting a little cheap Palm device like the TX http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/index.html ... Pop the sd card from your camera into this and its like having a little pocket digial photo album to show Grandma your pictures...

I was looking at the sony SLR and was abit put off by the $$? And was really considering the Cannon or Nikon. What are other peoples opinions?

how much is your budget? Well, for example for entry level you may want to consider Nikon D40 (6Mp), Nikon D40x (10Mp) or Canon 400D (8Mp). Price wise I would get the D40 as it is just as good as the D40x and 400D.

Well the cheaper the better. But D40 was what I was leaning towards. How do the Lens compare between the Cannon and Nikon.

All my life I was told that Nikon lens were far better then Cannon. I have had a Cannon for 12 years by the way and I like the sturdy feel and it has always suited me fine.

Be aware of which kind of memory cards are used in the cameras... The best way to get pictures to a computer is by removing the card and putting it into a usb card reader... many laptops have an SD slot already in them... The sony cameras all seem to use a sony proprietary "memory stick" which is a pain and only used in sony products... I think SD memory is the most compatible... If you use the SD memory think about getting a little cheap Palm device like the TX http://www.palm.com/us/products/handhelds/tx/index.html ... Pop the sd card from your camera into this and its like having a little pocket digial photo album to show Grandma your pictures...

The Sony is easily connected to a PC via USB, and in my case with no extra software, it just connected as another drive. No need to even remove the Memory Stick.

In any case, an external memory card reader will be able to read the memory stick (duo/duo pro)...

There really is no need for it to be such a "pain"

totster :o

What shots are you most interested in making?

1)

Also, have you read any Digital camera books on function and composition? Ideas on many composition projects?

I have bought a couple of books and am currently researching which DSLR camera I want to buy. I am mainly interested in low light settings function because all the cameras seem to miss focus on those shots. It sounds like I am looking for a expensive fast shutter speed, constant flash, high ISO camera for this option in lieu of the standard canon and Nikon SLRs with their vast arrays of lenses. I'm not thrilled about the extra money I may fork out for the proper high volume fast memory card required.

With my current camera Fujifil S7000, I usually just take movies for this setting and make photo grabs when shooting movie. Realizing this, I also use Everio digital HDD camera. Not the best for pics but better than missing those moments.

The end result is: I will read and research which camera is best then I will see if I can practice and achieve shots for my desired setting. If I cannot, maybe I don't need an expensive D SLR collecting dust. Maybe I'll just settle on more video options

The other interest I had was to give a camera to the mom of one little girl to use for daily pics of the family. I thought buying for this interest was easy. I thought I'd just go in a shop and buy a cheap $200 camera and be done with it. No!! You need to balance $ spent with options

Even so, it was easy. After looking at the options, I just bought a Sony T100.

Day 1 of the Sony T100, having read idea about creating a slo motion movie with vast pics, I took over 1000 3M shots and used the LCD (which is large for the camera size) for focus, practice and playback.

Summary:

The LCD is big for the size.

The slide show playback options are brilliant.

The battery lasts hellolongasstime. Its rechargable (3-4 hours ) After hours of use, I am still near 100% battery full.

Standard 1 gig card is decent; however 4 gig and 8 gig card will allow more pics and more video time. It does have option to find into USB (you need the accessory) and there is also accesory to use a memory stick adaptor for other memory reading format.

Very easy instructions. Easy to use.

Great multishot function - did not freeze up (3Mpxel)

I was pleased and then I saw a option in a photobulletin board about "Picasso style pics" using 2-3 LCD screens (so, actually a 4th camera is needed). hmmm.. sounds like fun

Then I bought a second T100 the next day along with a Sony photo printer and ZEN Vision W. The Zen Vision W is like a big screened i pod - 30 gigs of storage with a 4" color LCD screen. I bought 8 gig memory card with spare battery (now I think I don't need the spare battery).

Day 2, More experimentation with multi shots - slo mo picture movies (slideshows). I put the camera mode to high iso, vivid color ,3M and anti blur, no shake. What amazed me was: I was in a car travelling 40-60 miles per hour down the highway while I was taking shots from the backseat with the window rolled down. I was ecstatic with the pictures being generated at that speed (little blur from speed or shaking - bumpy ride). Great color from the Thai roadside and trucks against a plush green mosaic !! Then I put the slideshow of the shots on. BRILLIANT!!! You become an instant artist!!! No more going down to the coffee house and spewing bad poetry; just hook your T100 up to the LCD television and put your creation into one of 5 slideshow options. Complete with music.

The night time pictures in the house just don't turn up in focus unless you ask somebody to pose. Good luck!! I was dissappointed. After the multi picks in the day, I was hoping for magic at night. It just doesn't happen.

So I switched to movie mode and it works great for movies. Movies at night - that's how it is.

Price: I bought my Sony T100 cameras in Singapore. They came with some freebies like a carrying pouch, 1 gig memory device and neck strap. $S 699 at the Sony store in Wisma Atria and $S 645 at Fairdinkuns 3rd floor Orchard Towers.

I am to use the Zen Vision and SOny printer today. will give review soon.

The Sony is easily connected to a PC via USB, and in my case with no extra software, it just connected as another drive. No need to even remove the Memory Stick.

In any case, an external memory card reader will be able to read the memory stick (duo/duo pro)...

There really is no need for it to be such a "pain"

totster :o

tots can you send me a pm with cost and model mate

My suggestions as follows:

If you're a pro or serious amateur and have 50,000 baht (or more) to spend - Nikon D200. No contest really. Extra batteries, best quality lens and SB800 will add another 50-70,000 baht.

If you're an amateur and want a nice lens selection and the best automatic metering, Nikon D40X. A steal at 25,000 baht or so, with a decent kit lens and you're good to go.

For an everyday pocket snapshot camera, any Casio Exilm. Around 12,000 for a 700 or higher series.

Almost certainly an obsolete or technically ignorant question, but just to be sure......

I work with apple mac computor/laptop. Does that need consideration in choice of digital camera - compatibility in downloads or slots in ibook etc?

The Sony Picture Station DPP FP70

In Thailand, there is no need to buy yourself a home printer. 4 baht/color copy of 4X6 at the stores. How do those guys make money?? Same quality of print.

Perhaps I need to find a use for this printer on my job now. Like Developing a training certificate with the person's picture. Then laminating it .

The pictures are overcoated for protection and don't smudge. That's the good thing. Much better than the standard pictures generated from the standard inkjets and laserjets. No waiting for the ink to dry.

Using the Sony T100 for grabbing shots from the video during home night shots does not give high quality pictures. Most are blurred and dark, too warm. The shots were small sized 47 kb on average - not good for 4X6 photos or displaying as a slideshow on a big screen tv.

Which brings us to TV review of photos. I am looking for a TV to view the photos and videos to be taken. It is evident that a fast response time is required. And small file size pictures do not look quite as good on 42"+ screens vs. the 2-4" LCD screens. Shoot as big a file as you can.

Well I went into Big 'C' Surin today had a look at all the Cameras and decided on another Fujifilm but got a later one A800 8.3 mega pixels, if my mate gets my other fixed in pattaya then I will give it to the missus to use

thanks for the input guys