Farang Baby, Born Thailnd, Travels On Nz Psprt

Alliecat

I did a read through of the forums but want to confirm this is till the case.

Provided you have documentation (Thai birth cert) and the child is under 7 yrs old it is straight forward for him to return into the Kingdom without a visa after being away for 6 weeks. He is just one years old now. We haven't needed to travel with him yet so just want to make sure we can get him back in....

Thanks in advance

Just to be clear, are both parents non-Thai nationals?

If so, I'd be careful, as visa rules inplemented last year have tripped some people up in your situation. They have been tripped up in so much as when the child has returned to Thailand, the child has been refused entry as they have stayed more than 180 days in one year on a 30 day entry stamp (new visa rules have been implemented to stop visa runners staying indefentely in Thailand).

I'm assuming if you are both non-Thai nationals, you are here legally with one of you with a work pemit and the non-working spouse on a non-immigrant 'O' Visa, with extensions of stay, etc, etc. If this is the case, on your next trip out of Thailand, you should go to the nearest Thai embassy or consulate and apply for a non-immigrant O visa for your child, on the basis of being the child of parents who are living and working in Thailand.

The non-O will allow your child to re-enter Thailand. At the end of the first 90 days, your child will be given an extension of stay for the remainder of the year, based on the fact that a parent is living here and working.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been told (by various internet sources) that children under 7 don't need a visa . . . that is, your child could get a tourist visa on entry, and even if it expires there are no fees or other consequences. That said, when we applied for a non-immigrant O visa for our two-year-old, no one at immigration said not to bother. She's always had the same visa I do.

As the pp said, it's no problem as long as one parent holds a proper visa.

relevant link of child not been given permission to enter as they were on a tourist visa and had exceeded 90 days in 180.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...113621&st=0

moral: to be 100% certain, get the child a non-immigrant O visa to re-enter the country, lest they not be allowed back in, as happened to the author of the link I gave you.