Riverside Restaurant, Chiang Mai Thailand

eliz1130

• 1 month later...

"I always had trouble talking to burgers too until I found out THEY'RE DEAD!"

Oh God! You don't gotta get on yer soapbox, now Wiz. If you want something more fresh where you taste the life, best order some laap diip. Mmmm!

We ordered 2 cheeseburgers.

After taking our first bite, I had to spit it out. What ever they put in it put filler in it was horrible.

Som Nam Na !

Only philistines order burgers in Thailand (Hello U-G :o )

The Riverside offers a good view and decent music. It's probably a good place where to take new comers. But I think that it's overpriced and overrated.

The Riverside offers a good view and decent music. It's probably a good place where to take new comers. But I think that it's overpriced and overrated.

Good summary. Until they start singing. Can't stand places where they need to use songsheets and go "choo choo" through the difficult syllables. I have my fave places but I'm keeping them secret... :o

Only philistines order burgers in Thailand (Hello U-G :D )

Only pretentious newbies stick to only eating Thai food! :o

Sometimes cold turkey gets me on the run

Then, I buy some good beef, carots, onions, thyme, laurel, two bottles of red wine, ... (a cook doesn't reveal all his secrets) and I fix some Boeuf Bourguigon. And it beats the merde out of a burger.

Edited by adjan jb

On the Forum Topics page, the smiley in front of this thread has changed from a grim face to a happy one. Who has the "power" to change it ? A mod or the OP ? Or is it the way the mods rate a thread ?

BTW, where is Eliz1130, the OP ?

Edited by adjan jb

My husband and I lived in Chiang Mai for over one year and have patronized many food establishments. The Riverside Restaurant is a "Farang" paradise. You will not see one local Thai person in this restaurant. Good reason!! We too are Farangs but live here permanently. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers. When receiving our food (burgers) it was so big we could hardly believe it as in Thailand (as we know we live here) beef is rare. After taking our first bite, I had to spit it out. What ever they put in it put filler in it was horrible. I would recommend "Mike's Hamburgers" in Chiang Mai to anyone. This was totally repulsive. I brought all of the two hamburgers home less 2 bites to our cat. I asked for the manager and he reassured us that it was all beef with a few spices. No dice!! I advice anyone not to go to the Riverside Restaurant in Chiang Mai, nice view but that is what you pay for. There are many wonderful restaurants. Watch the locals and follow them as that is where the good food is!!!!!!!!!!!

Whether you're a troll or not. I have to say you're a right muppet..Google it if you like..

The Riverside has become an icon in CM for a reason. One of them being it's ability to not attract the likes of you.

Their Thai food has always been superb ( as the same head Thai chef has been there since day one).. Mikes is fast food to eat when you have a minging hangover. The Riverside is somewhere to go when you want to "chill" and savour the moment. I hear theres a great burger waiting for you at the airport, please save it for the plane and just go straight to immigration. The sooner the better.. Sionara.. Don't spill the sauce on your shirt on the way home in the plane.. :D:o

BTW, where is Eliz1130, the OP ?

Eliz was a troll and has gone back under her bridge. :D

Maybe Nawarat Bridge. It's not too far from the Riverside. :D

More likely a missionary they don't seem to have much liking for local culture and demand hamburgers wherever they go. They should stick to the Dukes if they don't want to leave their comfort zone. :o

can never understand anyone wanting to eat a hamburger when there are so many alternative beautiful eating places in chiang mai with nice (food) to enjoy

Change of pace? I eat Thai food 90% of the time. Sometimes a burger, fish-and-chips, lasagna, or whatever sounds good.

can never understand anyone wanting to eat a hamburger when there are so many alternative beautiful eating places in chiang mai with nice (food) to enjoy

I can't understand your kind of thinking.

Don't you ever want to eat something simple like a bologna, tuna, liverworst or egg salad sandwich?

I love fine dining, but sometimes I want coldcuts, a hotdog or a burger, sometimes I want lobster, sometimes I want vegetarian food, a falafel, a baked potato and sour cream or a good steak.

Why limit ourselves when there are so many combinations and possibilities? :o

I can't understand your kind of thinking.

Don't you ever want to eat something simple like a bologna, tuna, liverworst or egg salad sandwich?

I love fine dining, but sometimes I want coldcuts, a hotdog or a burger, sometimes I want lobster, sometimes I want vegetarian food, a falafel, a baked potato and sour cream or a good steak.

Why limit ourselves when there are so many combinations and possibilities? :o

True, variety is the spicy of life.. :D

The Riverside is obviously doing something right it's very popular - it's got a good vibe. It is overpriced though and the service could be improved, in my opinon.

As for the OP's comment about the Thai's - last time I was there I was the only farang amongst a group of Thais.

Of course it's great to have choices here - as many as we can without CM developing into just another city ?

And the more Thai choices the better, and the more these are made accessible to visitors, and the more we try to exchange ideas about food with the local restaurants the better...

I think some people were just making the point that a hamburger might not be the best choice at a restaurant like Riverside. Fair enough.

Edited by WaiWai

Of course it's great to have choices here - as many as we can without CM developing into just another city.

I think some people were just making the point that a hamburger might not be the best choice at a restaurant like Riverside. Fair enough.

No, but they do a mean yam plaadook fuu (spicy catfish salad).. Awesome with a icy cold Beer Lao..