Riverside Restaurant, Chiang Mai Thailand

eliz1130

My husband and I lived in Chiang Mai for over one year and have patronized many food establishments. The Riverside Restaurant is a "Farang" paradise. You will not see one local Thai person in this restaurant. Good reason!! We too are Farangs but live here permanently. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers. When receiving our food (burgers) it was so big we could hardly believe it as in Thailand (as we know we live here) beef is rare. After taking our first bite, I had to spit it out. What ever they put in it put filler in it was horrible. I would recommend "Mike's Hamburgers" in Chiang Mai to anyone. This was totally repulsive. I brought all of the two hamburgers home less 2 bites to our cat. I asked for the manager and he reassured us that it was all beef with a few spices. No dice!! I advice anyone not to go to the Riverside Restaurant in Chiang Mai, nice view but that is what you pay for. There are many wonderful restaurants. Watch the locals and follow them as that is where the good food is!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't had any specific problems with the food other than it's pretty average considering the insane prices - tho I guess the entertainment is pretty good.

Also, I have seen thai's there, but it's so expensive that only high society snobby types (both phalang and thai) go there - which are exactly the people I don't want to hang out with and the reason why I hate going there.

My husband and I lived in Chiang Mai for over one year and have patronized many food establishments. The Riverside Restaurant is a "Farang" paradise. You will not see one local Thai person in this restaurant. Good reason!! We too are Farangs but live here permanently. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers. When receiving our food (burgers) it was so big we could hardly believe it as in Thailand (as we know we live here) beef is rare. After taking our first bite, I had to spit it out. What ever they put in it put filler in it was horrible. I would recommend "Mike's Hamburgers" in Chiang Mai to anyone. This was totally repulsive. I brought all of the two hamburgers home less 2 bites to our cat. I asked for the manager and he reassured us that it was all beef with a few spices. No dice!! I advice anyone not to go to the Riverside Restaurant in Chiang Mai, nice view but that is what you pay for. There are many wonderful restaurants. Watch the locals and follow them as that is where the good food is!!!!!!!!!!!

Since when has beef been rare in Thailand. For someone who reckons they live here you say some pretty silly things in this thread.

I guess they'll manage to get by without your patronage. They've been struggling to survive for the past 25 years, maybe they can last another quarter century.

No river views or live music at Mikes.

The Riverside is one of the most sucessful Restaurants in CM...every weekend it is heaving with locals. I have spent the last 2 New Year's Eve's there and have had the most wonderful time.

However I did order a Burger there which I returned ..I just don't eat their burgers anymore, their Pepper Steak is excellent :o

I can't speak to Riversides hamburgers, as I've never eaten any farang food there. Their Thai food is delicious however, which I hadn't expected the first time I went there. I'd say the customer mix is about 50/50 Thai/ farang. Maybe a few more Thai. Good food, good prices, good view. Oh, speaking of the Good View, which is next door; it's not too good. Are you sure that's not where you ate? If so I might find your comments more credible.

I love Riverside because they're exceptionally consistent, and nice environment, good for taking guests on their first day in town. And if you care to open your eyes you will notice it's packed with Thais, especially on weekends.

nuff said.

Back to your croissants, madame.

Edited by chanchao

I agree with the last post (excuse the pun..!) The Riverside is consistantly excellent for both Thai food, good service and good entertainment. I also would put the Thai clientele at more than 50% on most days. I have eaten there for over 15 years, and have never been disappointed, except when they were so full, I couldn't get a table..! The poster of this thread had better stick to McDonald's, or wherever, as it he is obviously way out of his class in a place like that..?

Riverside is good, not great, but pretty good, for the money. Goodview is overpriced, usually crowded. I prefer Brasserie personally for price, food, and ambience. They're all popular, I would say mostly with good reason. I wouldn't get a burger at any one of them.

why would you eat a burger at the riverside in the first place? tom yum goong, you bet :o and agree with chanchao that its one nice place to take guests on their first visits here. many of my guests never fail to have a good time at riverside. although good view is absolutely popular with people from bangkok. but too noisy for my taste.

I have eaten at the River Side it's OK but I think over priced for what you get and I am not in a rush to get back there.

Now I do like to eat out and one place I like is cheap and the food is good. Its called the Chi Tung Kung Ten (ชายทุ่งกุ้งเต้น) you will need to ask a local the way it's not to far from Laguna Homes from the main entrance turn right over the + roads and it's on the right a couple of km down the road.

Happy Eating Graham

The times I've been on Riverside over the years, on any given night it's about 10-30% Thai and the remainder farang. As it happens I was there for the first time in over a year just two nights ago.

Most of their Thai food is surprisingly good for an establishment with so many foreigners. I especially like their 'phlaa nuea' (spicy beef salad).

The price level is not extreme either, in view of the location and overall standard. Just about right for most people - they would not keep getting customers otherwise. It's true you can get food of the same quality cheaper at other places, but you don't only pay for the food, you pay for the location as well.

I haven't tried their Western food yet so I don't know what it's like.

Good View I don't particularly like (too slick for me). The Brasserie has good live music, but I was so unimpressed with their Thai food last time I went there about 1 year ago that I haven't returned since.

The times I've been on Riverside over the years, on any given night it's about 10-30% Thai and the remainder farang.

Not sure about that one at all: 10-30% Thais & the remainder farang on any given night?

What planet are we on there - not the Chiang Mai Riverside!

What do you drink or smoke before going "on Riverside" MS?

I don't know why a person would go to the Riverside and order A BURGER that said I have always had good to excellent food their. Nice to have a meal at the place which might be said to orginated a 'type of restaurant' here in CM

By the way OP I like Mikes too but recently whenever I order they change my order to a large fries. I want a burger and fries and they repeat back to me Burger and large fries. No that is not what I said I want a burger and freaking tamada fries :o They do this with all orders and to all customers. I can only assume employees are instructed to do this. It is not totally annoying yet, when it is I'm gone.

The times I've been on Riverside over the years, on any given night it's about 10-30% Thai and the remainder farang.

Not sure about that one at all: 10-30% Thais & the remainder farang on any given night?

Even the Mods (Peace Be Upon Them) have their flaws David. I know it's hard to believe but it's true.

Not a fan of the Riverside...but it's because they are not a fan of mine! So it is personal. Putting that aside, I have celebrated my 16th, 18th, 19th, 21st and one or two other birthdays there over the years (may sound sad, but we didn't have much choice here in Chiang Mai in those days). It is a local landmark and consistently successful. Got to admire them for that.

This is such a ridiculous post that I can only assume that it is a fake---it reads like the OP has never been there. Riverside is not a great restuarant but it is a good one, and with a excellent location. I have found the food surprisingly good, and I have certainly seen many, many Thais there. Since the OP put their (fake?) message into the title of the post, there should be a case for the moderators to edit the title. Otherwise, people browsing the forum may see that only and not read the responses (all of which appear to defend the Riverside) and thus get the wrong impression.

Moderators please consider editing the title of the post.

Thanks, Neil

Just reporting what I saw - two nights ago it was about 10% Thais and the rest farang, and on earlier occasions there have been more Thais.

If you venture into the upstairs section with the bar, farthest away from Nawarat bridge, you might even notice that on occasion, the number of Thais is equal to the number of foreigners - without adding any intoxicating substances.

Ah yes, I missed a preposition in that previous post too - thanks for pointing that out. In case it was too difficult to figure out which one I meant, it should have been 'to'. :o

Just reporting what I saw - two nights ago it was about 10% Thais and the rest farang, and on earlier occasions there have been more Thais.

If you venture into the upstairs section with the bar, farthest away from Nawarat bridge, you might even notice that on occasion, the number of Thais is equal to the number of foreigners - without adding any intoxicating substances.

Ah yes, I missed a preposition in that previous post too - thanks for pointing that out. In case it was too difficult to figure out which one I meant, it should have been 'to'. :o

if not mistaken, there are more thais on weekends. so different views from different people. depends on which part of the week you went there.

What are you on about woman ! .."beef is rare in Thailand"

If thats ther case god knows what ive been eating!

Or were you meaning that the beef is cooked rare?

Anyhow.....did the cats enjoy???

I can't speak to Riversides hamburgers, as I've never eaten any farang food there. Their Thai food is delicious however, which I hadn't expected the first time I went there. I'd say the customer mix is about 50/50 Thai/ farang. Maybe a few more Thai. Good food, good prices, good view. Oh, speaking of the Good View, which is next door; it's not too good. Are you sure that's not where you ate? If so I might find your comments more credible.

I always had trouble talking to burgers too until I found out THEY'RE DEAD! :o

Edited by Wizzard of Oz

Riverside is good, not great, but pretty good, for the money. Goodview is overpriced, usually crowded. I prefer Brasserie personally for price, food, and ambience. They're all popular, I would say mostly with good reason. I wouldn't get a burger at any one of them.

maybe for you (we are spoilt thou arent we) but I happened to have some friends from NZ over last year, and took them there for a night out, they treated us as they stayed at our house. When the bill came they couldnt believe it and questioned whether we got it mixed up with someone elses as it was really cheap. They still talk about it when I speak to them.

I like Riverside for the live music, the bar could be bigger thou as it can get crowded, even on week days.

Brassiere has been quiet thou when we've been.

OP probably needs to go back to Riverside and order something else. Maybe uwind first with a bottle of mekong eatdrink007.gif

then come back here and report what she experienced, if she can remember :o

I always had trouble talking to burgers too until I found out THEY'RE DEAD! :o

The problem is, I never really wanted to get a computer till I could get one like they have on Star Trek. I could just think something or say it and the computer would do the rest. Unfortunately we seem locked in the high tech dark ages and I often have problems with the thinking>>>writing>>>typing. Thanks for your forbearance.

perhaps you pay for a bit of cat food too :o

eliz has disappeared, a case of post n run, perhaps we are all too harsh on this member. whacky024.gif