Thai birth certificate

Hello All,

I am trying to wrap my head around the process to get a Thai birth certificate/passport for my son from the Thai embassy in Washington DC. Background is that I am British, My wife is a Thai National (born in Phitsanulok) and we live in (and my son was born in) North Carolina.

Has anyone been through the process of obtaining a Thai birth cert for a child born outside Thailand? 

Thanks,

Don't people only ever have one birth certificate? If the child was born in the US, presumably he has a US birth certificate. I doubt you'll be able to get another one for him.

Thai citizenship and a passport should be doable though. I'm not American but I'd guess it would be done via the Thai embassy/consulate in the states. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

A lot of bs from posters. There is a process to get your child a Thai birth  certificate, actually a report of birth. The Washington DC Embassy web site explains the process and has the documents you must use. Just look at the Consulate area for the information. Did this for three kids myself.

Thanks @asiaexpat

I've read all the instructions on the Thai consulate website, could you please help me out with a couple of questions?

1. My son has a North Carolina birth cert which does not mention his birth weight. Did you have this issue, Did you need to get his birth weight certified?

2. Did you add your children to a Tabien Baan or did you do it later?

3. Did you manage to apply for the passport at the same time as the birth cert please?

Thanks,

17 minutes ago, asiaexpat said:

A lot of bs from posters. There is a process to get your child a Thai birth  certificate, actually a report of birth. The Washington DC Embassy web site explains the process and has the documents you must use. Just look at the Consulate area for the information. Did this for three kids myself.

Maybe something has been lost in translation, but a "birth certificate" is record from the hospital where the birth took place.  What you got for your 3 kids was something different.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Maybe something has been lost in translation, but a "birth certificate" is record from the hospital where the birth took place.  What you got for your 3 kids was something different.

The Thai embassy website says that I need to apply for, "A Thai Birth certificate" - https://thaiembdc.org/thai-birth-certificate-english-thai/

I want a Thai passport for my son and according to the Thai government, I need a Thai birth certificate for him to get the passport.  Their rules I guess.

Edited by capin

5 minutes ago, capin said:

The Thai embassy website says that I need to apply for, "A Thai Birth certificate" - https://thaiembdc.org/thai-birth-certificate-english-thai/

I want a Thai passport for my son and according to the Thai government, I need a Thai birth certificate for him to get the passport.  Their rules I guess.

As I say, probably lost in translation or peculiarly Thai! 

7 minutes ago, capin said:

You will get a Thai birth record

After that your family in Thailand has to bring the child in the Tabien Baan ( House Book)

then he /she is assigned a Thai national citizenship number.

For a minor who wishes to apply for a Thai PP, needs a 13 digit Thai citizenship number + certified copy of Tabien Baan.

Good luck

• Like 1

7 hours ago, capin said:

Thanks @asiaexpat

I've read all the instructions on the Thai consulate website, could you please help me out with a couple of questions?

1. My son has a North Carolina birth cert which does not mention his birth weight. Did you have this issue, Did you need to get his birth weight certified?

2. Did you add your children to a Tabien Baan or did you do it later?

3. Did you manage to apply for the passport at the same time as the birth cert please?

Thanks,

I looked at the web page to which you gave a link in a later post.

1. You must give a copy of the  hospital's birth report, which apparently is supposed to show the child's weight.

2. The first entry of a child to a house registration book can only be made by presenting the child's Thai birth certificate.

3. The website says that the application for the Thai birth certificate must be made online.

36 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I looked at the web page to which you gave a link in a later post.

1. You must give a copy of the  hospital's birth report, which apparently is supposed to show the child's weight.

2. The first entry of a child to a house registration book can only be made by presenting the child's Thai birth certificate.

3. The website says that the application for the Thai birth certificate must be made online.

Thanks. I think number 1 is going to be an issue - asking a US (well actually any) hospital to provide something outside a very stringent set of services they provide is aways going to be challenging.

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

In the UK the report from the hospital is not the birth certificate. I took my son's hospital record to the local borough registrar who registered the birth and provided the "UK birth certificate". This, in English, was taken to the Thai Embassy, London who provided the "Thai birth certificate" (used to add to Blue Tabian Baan and to get Thai ID card). Thai Passport was issued by Thai Embassy in London before ever being added to Tabien Baan or travelling to Thailand on Thai passport at age 3 months.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Wrong

This has already been discussed and resolved.  Thailand requires a certificate of birth in order to process Thai citizenship. A "Thai birth certificate", however, is a certificate of a birth in Thailand. My son (who is British and not Thai) has one as he was born in Thailand. 

16 hours ago, asiaexpat said:

100% correct. Start by contacting the Washington DC embassy (website) where you'll get contact info and probably instructions.  Have fun. Getting my son's US certificate was a blast... not.  But, it's doable.

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

At jeapordy of doxxing myself. My son was born in the UK in 2003. He got a UK birth certificate. We took that to the Thai Embassy in Queensgate in London and they got him a Thai birth certificate. He was then issued with a Thai passport in the UK after already having been issued a British passport. Once in Thailand, he was added to the Blue Tabien Baan for the family home on a visit there a few months later. Since, and now at age of 19yrs, he has been issued a Thai ID card within Thailand.

IMO the Thai Embassy should arrange Thai birth certificate for your child as he has a Thai mother.

You're a champ @soi3eddie!

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As I say, probably lost in translation or peculiarly Thai! 

If you qualify a person can have a birth certificate from more than one country, period.  They are documents that acknowledge the birth of a child no matter where they were born. Credit to your argument though, my son's says, "Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America".  I'm sure Thailand will not be the same.

At the end of the day, it's his USA birth certificate.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

Thai's born overseas go through life with two birth certificates. Their foreign one, and a Thai one issued by the Thai embassy in the country of their birth. It literally is a birth certificate (as opposed to what others have said here). It is just slightly different format to the ones issued in Thailand. You can read about it here. 

https://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-citizenship-when-born-overseas/ 

• Thumbs Up 1

My Daughter born in Fife, Scotland,  U.K has a UK Birth Cert and a Thai Birth Cert issued by the Embassy in London.

She maintains a Thai Passport, next trip to London in 2025 ????. I think her ID card has expired. She still uses maiden name, as though you can renew the ID card (last time we looked) via the Embassy, you would have to go to the local office in Thailand to get the first one, or to amend it (which the daughter does not want to do).  Her Son, now 3 years, is Blonde/Blue eyes, could perhaps ask for Thai Birth Cert/passport, but reckon he would still get dual pricing!

My son  now 15 (born in Phitsanulok) has Thai birth Cert, and British Birth Cert, as I registered his Birth at the Embassy a month after he was born (Don't know if the British Embassy still offers the service?) and as well as the Embassy issued Cert, I can (and he will be able to) order further copies from "People of Scotland" Registrar.

• Love It 1

Hi Capin,

I’m very familiar in applying a birth certificate when father or mother has the Thai Nationality.

I was born in Indonesia and lived all my life in the Netherlands. My mum is Thai and I applied for a thai birth certificate for myself and all my brothers and sisters. We are in the age of 60-72 when we applied.

Last year my children (age 28 and 32) applied and got their Thai ID and passport since I got the Thai Nationality.

The procedure is the same for all countries. I will explain to you step by step how I did it.

1. There is an application form on the website of the Thai Embassy you need to fill out.

2. You need to have the original (American birth certificate) of your child. You don’t need to know the official weight or birthtime of your child from the hospital. Just fill in a logical weight and or time.

3. Marriage certificate of you and your wife.

4. Your passport.

5. The Thai ID of your wife.

6. Tabien baan where your wife is registered.

7. Now you need to legalize nr 2, 3, 4 first to have the Thai Embassy accept these docs as being legitimate.

8. After legalizing these documents, you just make an appointment with the Thai Embassy and bring in the application form and all the other mentioned docs.

9. They will send all docs to Bangkok and after maybe 6 weeks they have the Thai Birthcertificate for your child.

10. Depending on the age of your child they will issue Thai ID card for him. If not, you have to go to the Amphoe where your wife has her Tabien Baan from. Same thing for his passport…

If you have any questions, let me know

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/30/2023 at 8:03 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Thailand might call it a Birth Certificate, but the US translates it to Certificate of birth of Thai citizen abroad. If your son was born in North Carolina but has a Thai national mother you should be able to get the paperwork to prove his Thai citizenship from a Thailand consulate. It would have to be done in person with the three of you (closest I think is in NYC) and I don't know how they handle the lack of a tambian baan (i.e. house registration) as presumably the child does not have one unless he lived in Thailand for a while say with your wife/family. Good luck!

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

I have nearly completed the process - maybe this will help someone else in the future.

The birth cert was acquired via post from the Thai Consulate in Washington DC. The consulate a bit slow but very helpful, They wanted quite a lot of information from us, The difficult info to get was certification of the hospital my son was born in and his birth weight.

For the Thai passports, we had to apply online and then attend appointments in person. We stayed a couple of days in the Normandy hotel, Its a great location and not too bad value for Washington and a short walk to the consulate. My wife's Thai passport was expiring so we arranged appointments at 10:30 for wife and 11:00 for son. We only had to pay the $31 postage once and they will put both passports in the same envelope.

No Tabien Baan was needed for my son but he will not be able to renew his passport until he has his name in a Tabien Baan.

Thanks for everyone for the comments/help.

• Thumbs Up 1