Type of license for scooters

On 5/2/2023 at 2:05 PM, scubascuba3 said:

If you have an IDP the box will be ticked for motorbikes, this is used to get you the thai licence 

If the person issuing the IDP in his home country knows what they are doing the motorbike box won't be ticked.

52 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If the person issuing the IDP in his home country knows what they are doing the motorbike box won't be ticked.

What country are you referring to? In UK if someone had a motorcycle only licence usually 150cc and below that box would be ticked

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

What country are you referring to? In UK if someone had a motorcycle only licence usually 150cc and below that box would be ticked

Definitely Germany, and I assume basically every other country as well.

If the motorbike box on the IDP is checked it implies that the holder my ride any size of motorbike. If OP may only ride bikes up to 125cc in the UK, why should he be allowed to ride a 1000cc bike abroad?

4 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

Definitely Germany, and I assume basically every other country as well.

If the motorbike box on the IDP is checked it implies that the holder my ride any size of motorbike. If OP may only ride bikes up to 125cc in the UK, why should he be allowed to ride a 1000cc bike abroad?

From what I remember being able to ride a bike up to 125cc is associated with having a full UK DL for a car. 

If you want ride bigger cc bikes a test has to be taken.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

From what I remember being able to ride a bike up to 125cc is associated with having a full UK DL for a car. 

remember the CBT training which allows riding a motorbike under 125 or 150? presumably they would have a licence just for that?

The UK can issue an IDP from both the 1949 treaty (one year validity) and the 1968 treaty (three year validity). The endorsements for motorcycles and scooters are different.

The IDP (1949) has only one category for motorcycles and covers all sizes.

The IDP (1968) has two categories. One for small bikes (scooters/mopeds) and a different category that covers bikes of any size.

When Thailand ratified the 1968 treaty they registered a reservation that says they do not recognize the small bike category.

https://treaties.un.org/pages/ViewDetailsIII.aspx?src=TREATY&mtdsg_no=XI-B-19&chapter=11

Thailand
       "Thailand will not be bound by article 52 of this Convention.
       "Thailand will consider mopeds as motor-cycles."

Reservation and declaration made upon signature and confirmed upon ratification:
       “The Government of the Kingdom of Thailand […] declares that, in accordance with paragraph 1 of Article 54 of the Convention, the Kingdom of Thailand does not consider itself bound by Article 52 of this Convention.”

“[I]n accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 54 of the Convention, the Kingdom of Thailand declares that, for the purposes of the application of this Convention, it treats mopeds as motor cycles (Article 1 (n))”.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

remember the CBT training which allows riding a motorbike under 125 or 150? presumably they would have a licence just for that?

UK has different rules for different ages in vehicle driving licencing it's quite complex these days.

In UK my son on his 16th birthday did the composory CBT test on the 50cc bike he was only allowed to ride.

After 1 year could ride a 125 and was required to to take a a bike test within the 2 year period of riding a 125cc.

After passing test he could have restricted 650 forget how long for. 

His first unrestricted the R6 then bought a full power Suzuki GSXR750.

Went to 1000 R1 and bought a new R1 when they brought out the lastest model. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

it is 50cc 

39 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

The UK can issue an IDP from both the 1949 treaty (one year validity) and the 1968 treaty (three year validity). The endorsements for motorcycles and scooters are different.

The IDP (1949) has only one category for motorcycles and covers all sizes.

The IDP (1968) has two categories. One for small bikes (scooters/mopeds) and a different category that covers bikes of any size.

When Thailand ratified the 1968 treaty they registered a reservation that says they do not recognize the small bike category.

https://treaties.un.org/pages/ViewDetailsIII.aspx?src=TREATY&mtdsg_no=XI-B-19&chapter=11

Thailand
       "Thailand will not be bound by article 52 of this Convention.
       "Thailand will consider mopeds as motor-cycles."

Reservation and declaration made upon signature and confirmed upon ratification:
       “The Government of the Kingdom of Thailand […] declares that, in accordance with paragraph 1 of Article 54 of the Convention, the Kingdom of Thailand does not consider itself bound by Article 52 of this Convention.”

“[I]n accordance with paragraph 2 of Article 54 of the Convention, the Kingdom of Thailand declares that, for the purposes of the application of this Convention, it treats mopeds as motor cycles (Article 1 (n))”.

Got my 2 Thai licences car and motorcycle just producing a UK full DL our local DLT doesn't require IDP for issuing Thai DL's as all the details of what you are licensed for are in English.

I heard some DLT's still insist on producing IDP with UK DL.

Same with police in some places if you use your home DL while on hols.

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Quite simply if you have never taken a motor bike test, then guess what, You Don't Have a M/C  license, got it now!

Ive never taken a test in Thailand but I do have a licence.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 10:38 PM, FriendlyFarang said:

I got an IDP last fall in the U.S.  I haven't had a motorcycle endorsement for years but I told the IDP guy I had a lifetime Thai motorcycle license, so he checked both car and bike. 

• Thumbs Up 1