Immigration Help Required

Hi,

I am an Indian. 30 yrs, MBA from an accredited US Univ, 7 years of work experience. I would like to move to Thailand permenantly. If you can advise me practically how i can do this. I have read all the materials regarding Thai immigration. I fit in none. One option that i could see was come on 3 month visit, find a job and and convert to job visa. Isthis practical? Or there are any other legal ways?

thanks

Added later

Its not a desperate situation

I have a very cushy job in middle east. But SE Asia is a growth area. Would like to migrate. A lot of Indians in thiland have recommended it.

Hi Joseph,

I am really interested as to why you have chosen Thailand.

The Indian community that has "Immigrated" here

did so many years ago and have Thai Nationality.

You do not seem to fall into any category

that will enable you to Immigrate here.

But then your Indian contacts may know better.

I am sorry to say I have got the impression

from several indigenous Thais that their Indian

brothers are not well regarded. I wonder if other

members will confirm this...

I would have thought that ethnic Indians would

be aware of this - have none of your contacts

mentioned this?

I have been aware of Indians visiting Thailand

being totally accepted as individuals ...

but you might wish to consider whether you

wish to be a part of a group that is not really liked.

I just thought you should know ...

Very Sincerely

Roger

Hi Joseph,

I am really interested as to why you have chosen Thailand.

The Indian community that has "Immigrated" here

did so many years ago and have Thai Nationality.

You do not seem to fall into any category

that will enable you to Immigrate here.

But then your Indian contacts may know better.

I am sorry to say I have got the impression

from several indigenous Thais that their Indian

brothers are not well regarded. I wonder if other

members will confirm this...

I would have thought that ethnic Indians would

be aware of this - have none of your contacts

mentioned this?

I have been aware of Indians visiting Thailand

being totally accepted as individuals ...

but you might wish to consider whether you

wish to be a part of a group that is not really liked.

I just thought you should know ...

Very Sincerely

Roger

I think that Roger's observations here a valid. The matter of moving here should be canvassed with people in the Indian community in Thailand.

Infact immigrants are never taken kindly. Anywhere. I am currently in Middle East. This region is temperory stop for all nationalities. make money and get out. After that they like to settle somewhere else. For me My options are my own country, i.e, India. Else US/UK etc which are standart plate for desperates. I wish to do something different , not out of compulsion but out of choice. I have an MBA in international business. SE ASIA/India/China is the future. I could be in India. But as my country opens we need to be abroad and mix with different cultures to facilitate familirasation between cultures and interoperability. Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand have been most friendly to India. Most of the Indian crowd is headed for Singapore, i wish to head to Thiland so as to increase our representation in Thiland. I have a Vietnamese girlfriend and shortly we are going to be wed. Both Vietnam and Thiland are close. Thats another advantage. Its more of my global outlook.

Joseph

If India is on your shortlist, it is a multiple choice in itself.

Kerala is not the place to be -

rampant unemployment of highly qualified

graduates was highlighted on BBC just this

morning.(International Companies being wary

of Communist influences)

Mumbai & Bangalore are obviously booming ...

Not sure what will happen to IT in Hyderabad

now that Naidu has been pushed out.

Some global companies have

made a Regional base in Chennai.

I always thought that most Indians in Singapore

were Tamil - (Singapore's current President is Tamil)

- is that a wrong impression?

But I think it wise to try & understand the root of

the Indigenous-Thai's, anti Indian-Thai attitude,

before making your home in Thailand.

I don't think it is racist or just anti Immigrant.

There seems to be a lack of trust.

I wish you success

Roger (English)

:o Now you are really spooking me. If the anti-india sentiment is that high, I have to be there. But advice me if i can come there on visit visa, find a job can i switch over to a work visa?

How long have you been in the middle east and what is your visa status there ? Is there a Thai Embassy/Consulate where you are at ?

:o Now you are really spooking me.  If the anti-india sentiment is that high, I have to be there. But advice me if i can come there on visit visa, find a job can i switch over to a work visa?

Joseph,

I did not write "Anti-India"

I wrote "Anti Indian-Thai" meaning

anti Indians with Thai Nationality.

If you are in UAE then I am told there

is a Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi.

You may wish to be aware - Citizens of the

Indian Sub Continent who

visit ***Countries surrounding / close to Thailand

are unable to get Thai Visas in those Countries.

They are advised to apply for them in their

Home Country. But I am told this does not apply

to Thai Embassy in Middle East Countries.

But that is why you need to enquire.

(***Indian Sub Continent Citizens Resident in those

Countries can apply)

It might not be of help - but Indian Passport holders

are entitled to a 15 day Visa on Arrival.

(this does not apply to all citizens of the Sub Continent).

Roger

Added Later

I have just re-read your Original Post.

A tourist Visa is valid for a visit of two months

(NOT three months) but it is valid for arrival in

the Kingdom from 3 months from its date of issue.

As you say you are working in Middle East

for 7 years you should be able to apply for visit

visa where you are - if there is an Embassy.

Sorry I have no Work Visa / Work Permit expeience

- I am on a Retirement visa.

Coming from the middle east, I'm sure Joseph has experienced 'anti' feeling in probably a much more agressive way than he would ever get in Thailand. I lived there for a period and was amazed at the attitude of most arabs to the indian workers.

As for the Thia attitude, as has been mentioned before we will all be falangs no matter what we do. I say go for it, it can't be any worse than where you are now and despite any negative comments here we all love the place and living here (except britainmal, don't read any of his ramblings).

Coming from the middle east, I'm sure Joseph has experienced 'anti' feeling in probably a much more agressive way than he would ever get in Thailand. I lived there for a period and was amazed at the attitude of most arabs to the indian workers.

As for the Thia attitude, as has been mentioned before we will all be falangs no matter what we do. I say go for it, it can't be any worse than where you are now and despite any negative comments here we all love the place and living here (except britainmal, don't read any of his ramblings).

Sorry Simey,

You are just not aware of the situation

Dr PP has already confirmed what I wrote.

Thais do not call Indians "Farang"

Thais call Indians "Kaek" this is well

documented in other threads.

(And I understand there are reasons for this term)

I love Thailand - that is why I am here

otherwise I would leave. (I am not into

moaning about a situation - I would get up and go

if I did not enjoy being here)

And I agree with you - I think Joseph should "go for it".

I have many Indian friends, some have visited Thailand

and have made good friendships with Thais after getting

aquainted on a Personal level.

But I just thought that Joseph deserved to be told of

the situation here about which

you seem to be completely ignorant.

Roger

To all,

1)Indians are not hated in Arab World. We are discriminated.

2)What is Kaek?

3) Thanks all for concern.

4) I will be in mumbai for holidays. I can apply from there? I work in Dubai.

5) Now this question has not been answered so i ask again " if i come on 2 month visa (visit), find a job, can i turn it into work visa?

Yeah Joseph you can always turn a tourist visa into a working visa within thailand if you can find a job here.No need to go anywhere.

About Kaek,the word KAEK is used to describe south asian nationalities.It's a kind of discrimination.Thais don't like KAEKS.The reason,because usually the kaeks are poor,dirty and not handsome.What thais love is a Farang (white skin guys from all western world and USA),because they usually are wealthy,clean(not all of them) and handsome (or white)looking.Thais are usually the same skin colour as south asian countries,that's why they love white colour.or easier to say,the thais are under a deep inferiority complex if compared to Farangs.That's why they like Farangs for their (wealth,cleanliness and skin colour) and dislike (discriminate) KAEKS because they are poorer,dirtier and blacker than the thais.(There are a lot of Indians and sub asian citizens who come here to find cheap jobs and ending selling cerials and peanuts).In short,Thai is a nation under deep inferiority complex from the western countries.Once Thailand was very poor and worst than even the south asian countries,now they are better than them,but the mentality is still worst.Their country might have progressed a bit,but their mentality is not yet.Hope u can understand.

Joseph,if you are a good looking indian with white skin,thais will still like u.Don't worry,Just don't tell them that u are KAEK.lie about your nationality and u will prevail.U know Hrithik Roshan?If he comes to thailand,and tells thai people that he is french,or italian or any western country,HE WILL BE LOVED.but once he tells he's from indian,his half of the votes will go away all in a sudden.Clear Yet? hahahaha

To all,

1)Indians are not hated in Arab World. We are discriminated.

2)What is Kaek?

3) Thanks all for concern.

4) I will be in mumbai for holidays. I can apply from there? I work in Dubai.

5) Now this question has not been answered so i ask again " if i come on 2 month visa (visit), find a job, can i turn it into work visa?

Hi Joseph,

If you are in Dubai, it would be worth your while

to phone the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi to confirm that they can

approve a Two Month Tourist Visa for an Indian Passport holder.

Thailand has a Consulate in Mumbai.

I was with two Indian friends who

got two month Tourist Visa there

within 24 hours - but that was a few

years ago.

Kaek - I do not claim to be an expert on this.

But it was explained to me by Thai friends:

Kaek means Indian whereas Farang

means Westerner.

A Sri Lankan is called Sri Lankan Kaek

Pakistani - Pakistani Kaek etc.

Kaek can be translated to "Visitor"

and was meant to be an insult

that the person should leave not stay.

I do not accept anything that sas_cars

says about looks / apperance.

As I understand it the Indians with Thai

nationality had money and were money

lenders in times gone by. Somehow they

got the reputation for not being trusted.

The Hindu Temple in Silom Road and the

Sikh Temple in Pahurat are both

called "Wat Kaek"

I will leave it to more qualified posters

to guide you on jobs / work visas/permits

Roger

Joseph,

Hope this helps

Roger

United Arab Emirates, Royal Thai Embassy

Villa No.1, Plot No. 341 West 14/1, Al Rowdah, P.O. Box 47466, Abu Dhabi

Tel: +97 12 453 991, 431 279, 432 554

Fax: +97 12 458 687

Royal Thai Consulate-General

Malabar View, 4th Floor, 33 Dr. Purandare Marg

Chowpatty Sea Face,

Mumbai 400-007

Tel. (91-22) 2 3631404, 2 3640888, 2 3678050

Fax. (91-22) 2 3632417

E-mail: [email protected]

joseph ,i agree with roger . my understanding of the word kaek is visitor , one of those terms which has been used for so long it becomes part of the language.(as has farang, for white men ) many thais feel a little weary of indians because of the indian money lenders , but dont let that stop your plans . take some things you read on this forum with a pinch of salt !! some people talk out of their <deleted> :o

sas_cars,

Thanks for the clarification. Then i will try to implement the idea of comming there are search for work and then change visa.

I am dark skinned, yet attractive. My vietnamese girlfriend liked me in first look (although she admitted she was sceptical too in dating a dark skinned guy :o ). Philipino dames too. Philipino men working in my company prefer working with me than others. We face similar problems in India too where fair skinned people look down on dark skinned. India movies and media too focus on fair skin than dark.

Roger13,

(and possom) I appreciate that you have been trying to cushion the impact. But thanks , its a realty and its even in India as explained above. Thanks for the adresses. I will try to check out.

What are the chances of finding a job there and what can be the starting salary?

dont' worry joseph.What i can assure you is that you will feel much more freedom and dignity than in Dubai.I understand about how do the arabs look down indians and pakistani workers.At least in thailand it's not the case,you can always find many thais smiling at you and wanna make friends with u.and who knows,if u come here,you can switch from your vietnamese gf to a thai gf. :o

I think it's not much difficult to find a job if u r a highly qualified guy,i don't know about finding job procedure coz i m self employed.But i know from my indian friend that the salary for an indian highly qualified such as in IT or management is ranging from 25-30K baht in a high profile company.But usually the indians are given the preference in the IT jobs in Thailand.Wish u good luck

:o My Vie Gf stays.

Thanks mate.

Now except thai visa + Ticket, please give me local rates for following

1) Stay at a low end hotel for two days.

2) Two months payng guest kind of arrangement. I mean single room ith toilet and bath room. Will i get it, how much will it cost?

3) Food expences (not a hevy eater)

4)Local means of transport. Which are they and how much they cost. So that i don't get drenched or sweat to office for interview.

5) General prices for soaps/detergents/ other things

6) Mobile phone connection. How much it cost initially for a pre paid connection and whats the tarrif?

7) How much news papers cost?

8)Do recruitment agencies charge fees?

9) Internet cafe charges.

10) And all i need to know.

:o My Vie Gf stays.

Thanks mate.

Now except thai visa + Ticket, please give me local rates for following

1) Stay at a low end hotel for two days.

2) Two months payng guest kind of arrangement. I mean single room ith toilet and bath room. Will i get it, how much will it cost?

3) Food expences (not a hevy eater)

4)Local means of transport. Which are they and how much they cost. So that i don't get drenched or sweat to office for interview.

5) General prices for soaps/detergents/ other things

6) Mobile phone connection. How much it cost initially for a pre paid connection and whats the tarrif?

7) How much news papers cost?

8)Do recruitment agencies charge fees?

9) Internet cafe charges.

10) And all i need to know.

now answers to your questions 1 by 1

1,You can find a more than adequate hotel/guest house for 500Baht/night anywhere in the city,you land at the bkk airport,just tell the taxi driver and he will take you to there

2,different area different rent for a single room,but u can easily find a good room for 5000B/month.

3,Food is cheap,you won't eat more than 100Baht/day

4,Buses,taxes,rickshaws,sky train,motorcycle taxis are widely available,the cheapest of them is Bus.there are airconditioned buses available for 10-15Baht/trip .Rickshaws and motorcycle taxis are roughly as expensive.But they are used for shorter rides.say 2 or 3 km rides chariging from 10-30 Baht.sky train is also available but it's not serving all of the city.Taxi is the most expensive of them it's meter starting from 35Baht as soon as u enter it.

5,Soaps,detergents are the same price as in India.

6,Mobile phone prepaid connection is very very cheap.You can buy a prepaid SIMCARD just for 250/300 Baht,due to large competition in this field.Incoming free,outgoing usually 5Baht/min.to anywhere in the country.flat rate charges.

7,an english newspaper costs about 10-15 Baht

8,I don't know about recruitment agencies

9,Internet cafe depends on the area,usually 30B/hour in business areas.

10,Now u know everything already,don't u :D

If he is really an Indian, he won't believe what the members are telling him. I suspect a troller. He talks about his Indian friends in Muang Thai, but still seeks his advice here.

Hi Doc ...

And what about sas_cars?

He doesn't mention the Subway opened last week.

For Bht 5,000 you can get a Two Roomed Apartment

with a Bathroom (near Ladprao & Ratchadapisek

Subway stations - half way between Downtown & Airport)

And the Bangkok Post & Nation English daily

newspapers cost Bht 20 each.

Roger

Joseph,

Yes Paying Guest kind of arrangement is available in Banglok.

Rooms could be Bht 2,000 - 2,500 in Downtown

although a Foreigner might be asked for more.

Hope you are not a Troll ...

I don't know about anti-Indian prejudice in Bangkok, but I can't imagine that it is worse (for a middle-class professional) than it was in Singapore.

My Singaporean colleagues were absolute batsards towards their Indian colleagues. It was ironic that Indian staff, and students, gravitated to to this representative of their former oppressors to get a fair hearing!!

Joseph,

Hope this helps

Roger

United Arab Emirates, Royal Thai Embassy

Villa No.1, Plot No. 341 West 14/1, Al Rowdah, P.O. Box 47466, Abu Dhabi

Tel: +97 12 453 991, 431 279, 432 554

Fax: +97 12 458 687

Royal Thai Consulate-General

Malabar View, 4th Floor, 33 Dr. Purandare Marg

Chowpatty Sea Face,

Mumbai 400-007

Tel. (91-22) 2 3631404, 2 3640888, 2 3678050

Fax. (91-22) 2 3632417

E-mail: [email protected]

An Indian can only get a visa in India or another country where he holds permanent residency. A non convertible, non extendable 15 day tourist visa can be applied for on arrival at Bkk airport, but issue requires the applicant to show an outbound airticket within 15 days.

I am not so sure if the advise helps to talk to members of the (Thai) Indian societies.

I know many, both in the tailoring and in real estate and trading. Seems to me they do oppose each other, family against family and than within the same family each other again.

How would a newcomer be able to be helped?

Let me not answere anyone who suspects me as troll. Suspisions are personal emotions. You will have to deal with it.

Now i am in touch with my Indian friend for 1) Helipng me out in finding a decent paying guest 2) Finding a job 3) I confirmed the words farang anf kayak (spell). He assures me Thai's are very friendly people. It largely depends upon me on how i want thai's to perceive me as. Also the kind of geniunness thats been showered in this forum to my querries, i am greatfull for that.

Lets let that case.

I have sufficient information. I am moving to Mumbai in some days. I have an interview with a reputed Indian company which exports world wide. If i get it,( I am looking for Managerial position in exports), i will choose SE ASIA. I hope i get it. Else its next ticket to Thiland in 30 days time. If god wishes, i make it to Thailand, i would like to meet some of you gracious members.