Some of us use big words,

that guard dogs can't decrypt,

others read and laugh aloud,

and just don't give a shipt.

But some of us wax eloquent,

they toil from dusk till dawn,

while those of us left speechless,

just use emoticons.

I dont recognize this bit of prose. Is it original or a paraphrasing? Either way, quite apropo.

It's not right that people should make money because they broke the law.

You would have to be a complete idiot not to be aware of what awaits you should you get caught smuggling drugs in LOS.

Easy money if you get away with it.....but if not !

Who does he think he is Ronnie Biggs???

Come on, read the story:

Although ten years have now passed, are you still in danger of being extradited back to Thailand?

It's worth saying that I was never convicted of the charge made; had not been caught with any drugs and strongly defended myself in court. Yet, from what I saw of the courts, I had no confidence in any acquittal. I'm sure my sentence would have been death – later reduced to life, I suppose, as Thailand hasn't executed anyone for drugs alone for many years.

You should realise that the judicial system in Thailand is "difficult".

What should he have done? Not escaped?

His book should be a great read.

Well someone on this post has already said that he wouldn't walk out if they left the gate open.What a hero it makes me want to get a signed poster of who ever it is {i don't think } Maybe he is another one of them S.A.S. or navy seals types that all seem to live in los.)One thing i am sure of is that this book will be a better read than any that rushdie has writen.The drugs issue is always the same though the small dealers are the ones that get caught.We also have to keep in mind that that the biggest drug deal ever to take place was when bush cut a deal with the war lords of afgan before he sent the troops in.{the war lords are the barons of the poppy fields that supply 83% of the worlds heroin } What should we do about that? I probley wont get a answer to it because it means that the right wing members on here would have to admit that they back a man that backs heroin dealers.Gungho to you all & long live the president of the U.S.A.D. {D-Drugs Ltd}

True; if it weren't for drugs we would still be listening to Mozart :o

And what would be wrong with that? Throw in some Beethoven for good measure and little Chopin and what more would we need. :D

The CIA And Cocaine

The cocaine trade continues to spawn eyebrow-raising alliances. Declassified documents now available at the CIA web site disclose that in the 1980s CIA operatives teamed up with cocaine dealers in the fight against Communism.

In 1979, the people of the small Central American country of Nicaragua overthrew the US-backed Samoza dictatorship. To the horror of US policy-makers, the Nicaraguans then elected a left-wing government.

Investigative journalist Richard Webb, in his book Dark Alliance first revealed how profits from cocaine sold in Los Angeles and Miami were used by the CIA to fund, and buy guns for the anti communist contra rebels.

Suitcases stuffed with coke-tainted US dollars were dispatched to Nicaragua to foment insurrection and civil war.

According to Internic records in 1998 the domain cocaine.com was registered in the name of the CIA.

Fact or fiction? Who knows?

Edited by tropo

Yep. Interesting stuff. I read drug production actually went up

after the Americans invaded. That's like saying Pattaya is a war

on prost... Never mind.

There is no 'war on drugs'. It's an excuse to attack human beings.

"GRRRRRrrrrr!"

Well someone on this post has already said that he wouldn't walk out if they left the gate open.What a hero it makes me want to get a signed poster of who ever it is {i don't think } Maybe he is another one of them S.A.S. or navy seals types that all seem to live in los.)One thing i am sure of is that this book will be a better read than any that rushdie has writen.The drugs issue is always the same though the small dealers are the ones that get caught.We also have to keep in mind that that the biggest drug deal ever to take place was when bush cut a deal with the war lords of afgan before he sent the troops in.{the war lords are the barons of the poppy fields that supply 83% of the worlds heroin } What should we do about that? I probley wont get a answer to it because it means that the right wing members on here would have to admit that they back a man that backs heroin dealers.Gungho to you all & long live the president of the U.S.A.D. {D-Drugs Ltd}

The C.I.A. And Heroin

A Nation Betrayed

The following is a transcript of the video, "a nation betrayed" (also published in a 1988 book).

It documents alleged CIA involvement in covert drug running activities. It was originally transcribed by Jim Burnes and has been reposted primarily by John Dinardo.

Lieutenant Colonel James 'Bo' Gritz is the most decorated Green Beret commander of the Vietnam Era. General William Westmoreland, in writing his memoirs, singled out Bo Gritz as the "American Soldier" for his exemplary courage in combat.

His outstanding ingenuity in recovering a highly secret black-box the Vietcong had taken from a crashed U2 spy plane. The feature films Rambo, Uncommon Valor, and Missing in Action were based in part upon his military experiences.

Colonel Bo Gritz At the American Liberty Lunch Club:

What I want to tell you very quickly is something that I feel is more heinous than the Bataan death march. Certainly it is of more concern to you as Americans than the Watergate.

What I'm talking about is something we found out in Burma (May 1987). We found it out from a man named Khun Sa. He is the recognized overlord of heroin in the world. Last year (1986) he sent 900 tons of opiates and heroin into the free world. This year it will be 1200 tons.

On video tape he said to us something that was most astounding: that US government officials have been and are now his biggest customers, and have been for the last twenty years.

We've been embracing organized crime. Now you've all looked and heard about Ollie North, about the Contras, about nobody knowing anything.

The general offered to stop the flow of opium and heroin into the free world. He was told by White House officials, "Bo, there's no one here that supports that."

His reply, "What? vice-president Bush has been appointed by president Reagan as the Number One policeman to control drug entry into the United States. How can you say there's no interest and no support when we bring back a video tape with a direct interview with a man who puts 900 tons of opium and heroin across into the free world every year and is willing to stop it?" And they said, "Bo, what can I tell you?"

"All I can say is there is no interest in doing that here."

Working as an agent for the Intelligence Support Activity (ISA) in the CIA, it was fine for Gritz to travel at great peril using false documents, as Ollie North and Bud McFarland did when they traveled to Iran on phony Irish passports.

On one occasion he was stopped by US customs at Seattle-Tacoma airport with four separate passports. He was quickly released when his intelligence contact in Washington confirmed his mission.

It was quite acceptable with the US government for Bo Gritz to travel at such great peril until he returned from Burma's infamous Golden Triangle on December of 1986 with information concerning with involvement of high-level US officials involved in large-scale drug trafficking in Southeast Asia.

His tremendous courage in refusing to back down to their threats has lead to his current indictment for misuse of a passport in order to keep him from getting this information to the American public.

In 1965 to 1975 there was one CIA man in Laos, his name was Shackley. He was involved the narcotics business. And we know that Shackley used one civilian to organize trafficking. His civilian name was Santos Trafficante.

He was the organizer of trafficking for Shackley. This was financed by Richard Armitage who stayed in Vietnam. After the Vietnam war Richard Armitage was a prominent trafficker in Bangkok.

Between 1975 to 1979 he was a very active trafficker in Bangkok. He was one of the embassy employees. Then after that in 1979 he quit from embassy and then he established a company name the Far East Trading company.

Then he used the name of his company under the table for drug trafficking. He then used the drug money to support the Lao anti-Communist troops.

I don't think it makes a hoot who you vote for President. The same people are gonna run this country.

Fact or Fiction? Maybe it's time to find out.

"GRRRRRrrrrr!"

It's a vicious cycle - Escalating the "war on drugs" makes the comodity more valuable thereby making drug production far more profitable.

If there never was a "war on drugs" to begin with, who'd be interested in pushing them? They'd be so cheap no one would even bother, but as you said, it gives "concerned" governments unlimited power to do as they please.

Edited by tropo

"GRRRRRrrrrr!"

It's a vicious cycle - Escalating the "war on drugs" makes the comidity more valuable thereby making drug production far more profitable.

If there never was a "war on drugs" to begin with, who'd be interested in pushing them? They'd be so cheap no one would even bother.

Yup. Pretty simple. Supply and demand. If only I could criminalize home-ownership............

There's more than enough dipsticks out there that think this knob is a hero that he'll probably sell quite a few copies. Hope he didn't use too many big words for that lot. :o

well if it comes my way, ill read it, or some of it, then make my mind up!

:D:D:D

OMG! That is classic! To quote cdnvics post, being disparaging of those that will read that book & then to say you will... Hilarious!

You were aiming for irony - right? :bah:

I see we have a plethora of erudite scholars here. :D

According to a recent report on the Taksin/Man City deal in the UK's Guardian newspaper, an extradition treaty exists between the UK and Thailand. Are the Thai authorities pressing for his return?

It seems a fair number of British villains are nicked here and returned. Surely, it must be time for Thailand to call in a favour or are they just hoping he'll appear at a book signing in Asia Books?

Its quite an old extradition treaty between the UK and Thailand.

Have the Thai's asked for him back?

Its quite an old extradition treaty between the UK and Thailand.

Have the Thai's asked for him back?

Here, in his interview the man himself will answer your questions.

Although ten years have now passed, are you still in danger of being extradited back to Thailand?

It's worth saying that I was never convicted of the charge made; had not been caught with any drugs and strongly defended myself in court. Yet, from what I saw of the courts, I had no confidence in any acquittal. I'm sure my sentence would have been death and later reduced to life, I suppose, as Thailand hasn't executed anyone for drugs alone for many years.

As I was unconvicted, the Interpol warrant issued was for the escape alone. Extradition laws are complex. Those agreements only allow whoever is extradited to be tried for the particular thing on the warrant. No old or new charges added. Some years ago the Danish police questioned and detained me on another matter. The Thai authorities were informed that I was held, yet made no request. Possibly because EU law does not allow extradition on capital charges.

Despite all that, I live carefully. My email address is London, but I reside in a jurisdiction whose judges are unlikely to send me to Asia.

Edited by tropo

Thanks Tropo

I do not know if its actual EU law or an individuals countries but yes they will not extradite if the suspect is to face capital punishment (as a min - some countries do not even extradite among themselves in the EU or must have changed very recently).

If the Thai's want him though all they have to do is say he wil not face capital punishment but a maxterm of life - the UK would then extradite him all other things being equal.

The Thai's probably have no evidence after all this time.

There is still the Interpol warrent out for the Aussie (but born in the UK) girl whose ather paid 40k USD bail and sh ran. She was on the FBI's top 10 most wanted list and its beleived she is hiding in Greece.

Autobiographies by outlaws are generally ghost written, usually for the very good reason the would be author is semi-literate and ill educated, and for that reason I tend to avoid them since originality of narrative is seldom on offer. Having said that, content can be quite pacy and they do help to pass a pleasant hour or two when one finds oneself captive ( on a plane or tedious terminal that is ).

The indignant ranting by the sanctimonious of the fora was only to be expected but given the opportunity I suppose I may read this particular potboiler since the Thai dimension is there and consequently of some interest.

Quite how the hang 'em high brigade reconcile their censorship on the grounds the protagonist is a drug dealer is beyond me. Most of them will have quite happily read the tales of 'derring do'by the CIA mercenaries let loose in Laos without a twinge of affected queasy conscience despite the well documented fact that that war was financed through heroin dealing facilitated by Air America.

Never mind, who needs all those shades of grey when you live in that world painted so starkly in black and white?

Deity (insert your own) save us from the self righteous pseudo-intellingentsia! :o

November Rain, i suggest you re-read your responses posted in this and many other threads before throwing about the term self righteous.

Autobiographies by outlaws are generally ghost written, usually for the very good reason the would be author is semi-literate and ill educated, and for that reason I tend to avoid them since originality of narrative is seldom on offer. Having said that, content can be quite pacy and they do help to pass a pleasant hour or two when one finds oneself captive ( on a plane or tedious terminal that is ).

The indignant ranting by the sanctimonious of the fora was only to be expected but given the opportunity I suppose I may read this particular potboiler since the Thai dimension is there and consequently of some interest.

Quite how the hang 'em high brigade reconcile their censorship on the grounds the protagonist is a drug dealer is beyond me. Most of them will have quite happily read the tales of 'derring do'by the CIA mercenaries let loose in Laos without a twinge of affected queasy conscience despite the well documented fact that that war was financed through heroin dealing facilitated by Air America.

Never mind, who needs all those shades of grey when you live in that world painted so starkly in black and white?

Deity (insert your own) save us from the self righteous pseudo-intellingentsia! :o

November Rain, i suggest you re-read your responses posted in this and many other threads before throwing about the term self righteous.

Why? Are you suggesting that because I'm in a glass house, I can't throw stones? :D Better take steps to shut up half the members of the forum, then... :D:D

Why? Are you suggesting that because I'm in a glass house, I can't throw stones? :D Better take steps to shut up half the members of the forum, then... :D:D

NR,

that made me smile. On this we agree.

There's more than enough dipsticks out there that think this knob is a hero that he'll probably sell quite a few copies. Hope he didn't use too many big words for that lot. :o

OMG! That is classic! To quote cdnvics post, being disparaging of those that will read that book & then to say you will... Hilarious!

You were aiming for irony - right? :D

why do you say that? does it mean im a bad or thick person if i want to read a book about anything?

if i read an article in the papers about peter sutcliffe would that mean im thick?

so if cdnvics post said you must read it november rain, you would? or you would be stupid or somthing?

how can you learn anything by going around with that attitude?

if you read my post again its a stament not saying anything positve or negative about the book, but the freedom of ill browse it and maybe read if i want?

that old saying of judging a book by its cover seems very appropiate here!

if i were you cdnvics i would read the book, and then your comments on it would be more knowalgdable (im glad i spelt that right) as you are now, you know nothing it is your attitude that is making you a dipstick (your post)

ill leave it with you, be nice if ya agreed with me on this, but i doubt that very mutch!

In my view posters positions are driven more by not wishing to contribute money to the 'author', rather than the book, or for that matter his right to write it.

Having scanned it some while ago in Asia Books, and not wishing to turn the shop into a library, my view was that it was factually questionable {the remand centre is not 'Bangkok Hilton'}, the life style he bought himself while there was hardly the stuff of Papillon, and his money allowed him to purchase his 'way out', through forged documents from 'Chinatown'.

It also didn't strike me as terribly readable, so for that reason, as well as not wishing to add to his retirement fund, I'll not be buying it.

Regards

In my view posters positions are driven more by not wishing to contribute money to the 'author', rather than the book, or for that matter his right to write it.

Having scanned it some while ago in Asia Books, and not wishing to turn the shop into a library, my view was that it was factually questionable {the remand centre is not 'Bangkok Hilton'}, the life style he bought himself while there was hardly the stuff of Papillon, and his money allowed him to purchase his 'way out', through forged documents from 'Chinatown'.

It also didn't strike me as terribly readable, so for that reason, as well as not wishing to add to his retirement fund, I'll not be buying it.

Regards

I think there are a lot that are factually questionable in this genre to say the least :o

Warren Fellow's - "Damage Done" or "12,000 Days" depending on the market

Colin Martins "Welcome to hel_l" was not exactly straight up

Christopher Parnells - about Indo but in that great line of "It woz not me guv" books - "Hells Prisoner"

The God Squadders ones are even worse - aye right pet sure you found god

The only one I found a bit credible and honest was Sandra Gregory, "Forget yuo had a daughter" at least she admitted her guilt and apologised

As a by the by did Stephen Leather not dramatise the guy's escape in one of his books - I know he uses some sources to create fiction ie Private Dancer, Tunnel Rats and the scouse drug dealer in Dublin too I think

why do you say that? does it mean im a bad or thick person if i want to read a book about anything?

if i read an article in the papers about peter sutcliffe would that mean im thick?

so if cdnvics post said you must read it november rain, you would? or you would be stupid or somthing?

if you read my post again its a stament not saying anything positve or negative about the book, but the freedom of ill browse it and maybe read if i want?

if i were you cdnvics i would read the book, and then your comments on it would be more knowalgdable (im glad i spelt that right) as you are now, you know nothing it is your attitude that is making you a dipstick (your post)

ill leave it with you, be nice if ya agreed with me on this, but i doubt that very mutch!

I wasn't laughing because you wanted to read the book. I was laughing because you quoted a post saying that anyone who would read it was a few bricks short of a load, and then said you would read it. Actually, I genuinely did at least half think you were being ironic.

If you hadn't quoted vic's post, I would never have commented on yours.

As you were obviously being serious, I apologise for any offence caused. :D

I wasn't laughing because you wanted to read the book. I was laughing because you quoted a post saying that anyone who would read it was a few bricks short of a load, and then said you would read it. Actually, I genuinely did at least half think you were being ironic.

no need to appogise at all, just yours and my view.

tell you what, well go 50/50 (dutch) on book, and whoever reads it first gets a hieniken at the next thaiviasa meeting! deal?

no need to appogise at all, just yours and my view.

tell you what, well go 50/50 (dutch) on book, and whoever reads it first gets a hieniken at the next thaiviasa meeting! deal?

Well, I still don't want to put money in the author's pocket, but I certainly won't object to the Heineken - so, how about you buy the book & read it, then I'll buy you a beer & you can tell me what you thought of the book. OK?

Regards

I think there are a lot that are factually questionable in this genre to say the least :o

Christopher Parnells - about Indo but in that great line of "It woz not me guv" books - "Hells Prisoner"

The only one I found a bit credible and honest was Sandra Gregory, "Forget yuo had a daughter" at least she admitted her guilt and apologised

As a by the by did Stephen Leather not dramatise the guy's escape in one of his books - I know he uses some sources to create fiction ie Private Dancer, Tunnel Rats and the scouse drug dealer in Dublin too I think

Chris Parnell has the scars to prove it....his book is reasonably factual... compared to others I have read.

Regards

Chris Parnell has the scars to prove it....his book is reasonably factual... compared to others I have read.

Not saying it would not be a very rough hole - they all claim (the Aussies ) to be innocent

At least Sandra Gregory puts her hands up, admists stupidity, apologises to the Thai people, lectured to schoolkids on the badness of drugs and went to Oxford and got a 2.1

I bought it the other day and finished it just before i put out the lights to go to sleep, couldn't put it down. Cracking read, for what it is. It's got the John Rambo seal of approval....

good man, now that is a perfect answear, someone reads it and gives an opinion, rather than giving an opinion without seeing it!

now if you take this book to the next tv pub meet, and lend it to a few people, who dont want to "line his pockets" theres no reason to think of, why they should not browse it, or even read it, esspecially after you gave it a good write up!!!!

maybe im wrong again, maybe some people will not look at it on principle!

well im qouted as bieng a "dipstick for wanting to read it", so read it, i must! and make myselfe a bigger one (if possible)

btw john rambo, can i borrow it first, cos im biggest cheap charlie i know! :o

After all the debate, I have decided to buy it and have a look it. I will post my comments on it when I have read it.

I hope that by purchasing this book I am not now classed as a dipstick. :o