Wimbledon!

Venus Williams has recaptured the Wimbledon title, guess she wasn't as "past it" as she seemed :o

Wimbledon lifts Venus to great heights

Sat Jul 7, 2007 7:26PM BST

By Martyn Herman

LONDON (Reuters) - Summertime arrived apologetically late at Wimbledon on Saturday just as Venus Williams burst once again from the shadows to walk off with the silverware.

As she did two years ago when she came in at number 14, the imposing American made a mockery of a low seeding to prove that, when fit and healthy, not many can tame her on grass courts.

Photo

The spirited Marion Bartoli tried her best but ultimately the French 18th seed was ill-equipped to deny the 27-year-old Williams a fourth Wimbledon title, losing 6-4 6-1.

"I feel fantastic. My sixth slam... I want some more," said Williams, who began the year ranked 48th in the world and missed the Australian Open with a wrist injury.

Her younger sister Serena, who was watching from the stands, won that Australian Open ranked 81st and Venus said her achievement there spurred her for Wimbledon.

"When I saw her win in Australia I knew I could do it. We love each other and inspire each other like that," Venus, whose last grand slam title came here two years ago, said.

Uk Reuters continued here

Venus Williams has recaptured the Wimbledon title, guess she wasn't as "past it" as she seemed :o
Wimbledon lifts Venus to great heights

Sat Jul 7, 2007 7:26PM BST

By Martyn Herman

LONDON (Reuters) - Summertime arrived apologetically late at Wimbledon on Saturday just as Venus Williams burst once again from the shadows to walk off with the silverware.

As she did two years ago when she came in at number 14, the imposing American made a mockery of a low seeding to prove that, when fit and healthy, not many can tame her on grass courts.

Photo

The spirited Marion Bartoli tried her best but ultimately the French 18th seed was ill-equipped to deny the 27-year-old Williams a fourth Wimbledon title, losing 6-4 6-1.

"I feel fantastic. My sixth slam... I want some more," said Williams, who began the year ranked 48th in the world and missed the Australian Open with a wrist injury.

Her younger sister Serena, who was watching from the stands, won that Australian Open ranked 81st and Venus said her achievement there spurred her for Wimbledon.

"When I saw her win in Australia I knew I could do it. We love each other and inspire each other like that," Venus, whose last grand slam title came here two years ago, said.

Uk Reuters continued here

Venus Williams again proves that she is a superior athlete. Seems like whenever she really wants to win something badly enough, she can pull it off. Curious though how she would have done against Henin!