US expatriate residing in Thailand arrested after allegedly threatening US senators and Marines

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/05/30/politics/us-expatriate-arrested-allegedly-threatening-us-senators/index.html

An American living abroad was arrested last week on a charge of threatening US senators and political groups over the number of unsolicited political emails he was receiving, the Justice Department announced Tuesday.

Eric Charles Welton, who has lived in Thailand for more than a decade, allegedly made multiple threatening calls from overseas in 2021 to the offices of North Carolina Republican Sen. Thom Tillis and then-Sen. Richard Burr, according to court documents.

Welton, 51, was arrested Thursday at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as he returned to the United States from overseas, according to the Justice Department.

Edited by metisdead
27. You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Only post a link, the headline and three sentences from the article. Content in the public domain is limited to the same restrictions.

4 minutes ago, BangkokHank said:

All of that - just for some unwanted emails? Couldn't he flag them as spam - and have the problem taken care of by his email provider? Or, worst case, just delete them?

That's why his response can be classified as INSANE.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is why back around the "Yes We can" days I decided this would be my political party from now on

Or at least until "none of the Above" is added to voting Ballots

Edited by metisdead
Trolling meme removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the sharpest spoon in the drawer.

I guess his Thai wife was denied a visa back in 2021, at the Chiang Mai Consulate, and that set him off. The Marines were guards there.

He also may have/had cancer?

WELTON asserted, "But it ends, it ends. I'm getting a little bit of the cancers upon me, you know, so I don't give a <deleted> anymore. The idea of a suicide vest means I don't have to go through chemotherapy." 

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nced.191669/gov.uscourts.nced.191669.1.0.pdf