Thai school conducts mass drug testing: Is it a violation of student rights?

webfact

image.jpeg

A Thai school recently conducted a mass urine drug testing initiative for its entire student body, causing online debate as netizens clashed over whether this practice constituted a violation of the students’ rights.

The school, local authorities, and health officials collaborated on the project to ensure a drug-free environment. The school is located in the town of Tha Rong in Wichian Buri district of the northern Phetchabun province.

A photograph showed a group of students from the school lining up for the urine drug testing. The photo was posted with the hashtag “#DifferentAngleCoin” on a Facebook page called Return-Official. The post also questioned whether the large-scale drug testing, aimed at 1,600 students, could be considered an infringement upon their rights, or should instead be performed confidentially for high-risk students only.

Following the post, netizens engaged in heated debates, with some agreeing with the necessity of the tests, while others argued against its appropriateness and suggested that only at-risk students should be tested.

by Tara Abhasaku

Top Photo by Khaosod.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/northern-thailand/school-conducts-mass-drug-testing-is-it-a-violation-of-student-rights

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

A fine example of how the do-gooders  believe everything is against peoples rights,  they've stuffed most countries up with there nonsense so why not Thailand.

Kids go to school to learn and get an education,   not partake in drug use so if they are it needs attention.

An AMD at the front door so they don't bring in weapons would be a better idea.

2 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Driving from Bangkok to NE @ 22:00 all cars were directed to parking lot of rest station for piss tests….long lines going in the toilet …

This one’s outrageous....   just being ‘forced to pi$$ on the spot’ or I’m not permitted to drive any further would see me having a proper dummy spit....  Fortunately its not something I’ve encountered in Thailand while driving. I’ve had my taxi stopped once and was asked to get out and provide a ’sample’, I refused and told the Policeman that such testing on the street is illegal, they weren’t having that, so I ended up having to use the ‘phone a friend’ option and was on my way.... 

There are too many people in Thailand in positions of power who have no knowledge or understanding of their own laws and basic individual rights - Thailand handles such matters in an incredibly clumsy manner which would see legal action taken in many other countries. 

Subjecting children / students to such testing most certainly is a violation of children's individual rights - the whole idea is utterly outrageous. 

IF those same students are found outside of school disturbing the peace etc or providing reason / cause for such testing then go ahead - but to come into a school and impose such testing on students is a complete and total violation. 

I can highlight that such testing would never happen at international schools... Why ???.... because the school knows very well that any action would be an imposition on of the students rights and parents would take legal action. 

Sadly, this is where the underprivileged can become down-trodden by those attempting sweeping action to prevent individual problems. 

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

A fine example of how the do-gooders  believe everything is against peoples rights,  they've stuffed most countries up with there nonsense so why not Thailand.

Kids go to school to learn and get an education,   not partake in drug use so if they are it needs attention.

This is against peoples rights....  There are laws about this (and no, I won’t post a link which states drug testing students is a violation of rights). 

IF your son was made to pi$$ in front of adults to provide a drugs test and you were happy about that situation there would be a strong argument to suggest you have failed as a parent. 

• Like 1

Well well well, If there's a drug problem at the school , Yes the students who are suspects   should be drug tested  Not the whole lot that's Not right in my book. 

A school isn't a jail or is it?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Well well well, If there's a drug problem at the school , Yes the students who are suspects   should be drug tested  Not the whole lot that's Not right in my book. 

A school isn't a jail or is it?

Again, that shouldn’t be for the school to decide and impose drugs tests. 

This would be a matter for the police outside of school grounds.

IF teachers, suspected some students of illegal drug use, that should be reported to the police, who then involve the parents and request that the children are tested under legal means. 

This is simply laziness - a blanket policy because it's easier for the police but at the cost of the freedom and rights of minors. 

• Like 1

most folks won't like what I say but if laws were strict then there would not be this drug and criminal problem worldwide.  Conscription, discipline,  and teach the young that cannabis and any use of drugs are wrong.  Singapore has the correct approach ....  how many drug addicts and low lifes do you see there.   none.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

most folks won't like what I say but if laws were strict then there would not be this drug and criminal problem worldwide.  Conscription, discipline,  and teach the young that cannabis and any use of drugs are wrong.  Singapore has the correct approach ....  how many drug addicts and low lifes do you see there.   none.

But are the robots happy?

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is against peoples rights....  There are laws about this (and no, I won’t post a link which states drug testing students is a violation of rights). 

IF your son was made to pi$$ in front of adults to provide a drugs test and you were happy about that situation there would be a strong argument to suggest you have failed as a parent. 

there's nothing wrong with taking a drug test to ensure kids at school are not consuming illegal substances.

It's done in the work place in many countries,  it does not violate any human right ....  the world needs less dogooders and more of just get the damn job done type people.

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, steven100 said:

there's nothing wrong with taking a drug test to ensure kids at school are not consuming illegal substances.

It's done in the work place in many countries,  it does not violate any human right ....  the world needs less dogooders and more of just get the damn job done type people.

dogooders , those are the ones checking upon it. Control, control, you go to rehabilitation camp to get clean? Like Ugurs have to do to become Chinese?

Wait for the time you have to go to immigration for 90 day report and every time you need to be checked on drugs and give some blood for additional tests. They make your visa depending on it.