issue of Tourist visas by Savannakhet consulate 2023?

Is the Thai consulate at Savannakhet doing tourist visas" (single entry)

Can someone give a clear concise answer? 

I last got one in 2018 - and everyone had to show proof on 20k baht but they were still being issued

So - is it possible to get one there or have they stopped issuing them completely?

It is totally possible to get a tourist visa in Savannakhet, IF you don't have an extensive entry/stay history in your passport.

If you milked 2+ years of covid extensions, have a b/s, back door ED or volunteer visa or took two free visa exempt entries last year and then the two this year already, you may run in to problems.

They also appear to be a "one and done" consulate, if you have a previous recent tourist visa you can't get another one.

They tightened up because they were being hit hard by the visa run companies and some Mondays there'd be over 300 people in line.

You definitely show the funds in a bank account like it says on the website as well.

Word has it Vientiane (which requires à booked online appt to get in the gate, and more stringent requirements) doesn't care about previous entry stay history as much of at all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

It is totally possible to get a tourist visa in Savannakhet, IF you don't have an extensive entry/stay history in your passport.

If you milked 2+ years of covid extensions, have a b/s, back door ED or volunteer visa or took two free visa exempt entries last year and then the two this year already, you may run in to problems.

They also appear to be a "one and done" consulate, if you have a previous recent tourist visa you can't get another one.

They tightened up because they were being hit hard by the visa run companies and some Mondays there'd be over 300 people in line.

You definitely show the funds in a bank account like it says on the website as well.

Word has it Vientiane (which requires à booked online appt to get in the gate, and more stringent requirements) doesn't care about previous entry stay history as much of at all

THanks

I like Savannakhet and next time I get a tourist visa, I would like to get it from there - I have only had one tourist visa, that was in 2018. Previously they were all B visas.

• Like 1

Over the last couple of months, Savannakhet has become much more strict in handing out tourist visas. One guideline they use is to refuse a tourist visa if you have spent more than 90 days out of the previous six months in Thailand as a tourist.

Savannakhet used to be just about the best consulate in the region for getting tourist visas. No more.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Here's my prediction. Before the end of the year Savannakhet will introduce an appointment system.

I am going there on holiday soon and went to book a hotel which includes a Monday night, and both the Aura and Avalon are fully booked.

THat would be rather sad.I lived and worked in Savannakhet and there was a good atmosphere at the consulate thee. They helped me out with my B visa in Thailand above and beyond. I wonder if the chap in charge has changed.

18 minutes ago, kwilco said:

THat would be rather sad.I lived and worked in Savannakhet and there was a good atmosphere at the consulate thee. They helped me out with my B visa in Thailand above and beyond. I wonder if the chap in charge has changed.

I think they are still good guys. The problem is that they were completely swamped by visa run groups taking long stay tourists for tourist visas. They were unable to cope, and something had to change. They did not go the same route as Penang (which simply refuses to process any more than the first so many people in the queue). Instead, they elected to deter long stay tourists from using the consulate. I do not think they wanted to do this but, short of tripling the number of staff, what else could they do?

I always used to drive into Savannakhet and stay for a few days - As I can't see the point of frantically running in and out of Laos.

For a while I worked there and spent a fair bit of time running people into town to get photocopies of their bank books etc. or internet statements.

But I just like to make a holiday of it.

I think most people who go there don't actually have to do it in 2 days but they just got it in their head they must.

Most of the time I was changing B visas but I did get a tourist visa there once.

the region around Savannakhet is really quite beautiful

On 6/1/2023 at 10:40 PM, Tod Daniels said:

Sometimes a good thing becomes a bad thing once its posted on a forum !

Used to be a breeze there...can see why they tightened up...that queue would be a nightmare in the heat !

Edited by freedomnow

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

I always used to drive into Savannakhet and stay for a few days - As I can't see the point of frantically running in and out of Laos.

For a while I worked there and spent a fair bit of time running people into town to get photocopies of their bank books etc. or internet statements.

But I just like to make a holiday of it.

I think most people who go there don't actually have to do it in 2 days but they just got it in their head they must.

Most of the time I was changing B visas but I did get a tourist visa there once.

the region around Savannakhet is really quite beautiful

I liked Pakse..always made a point of going down there if going to savana..and then the bolaven plateau is just behind it..coffee land....

Edited by freedomnow

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

Sometimes a good thing becomes a bad thing once its posted on a forum !

Used to be a breeze there...can see why they tightened up...that queue would be a nightmare in the heat !

I never used to queue much - I'd go well after they's opened and the queue would be down to half a dozen people.

3 hours ago, freedomnow said:

I liked Pakse..always made a point of going down there if going to savana..and then the bolaven plateau is just behind it..coffee land....

I"ve driven almost eveywhee in Laos except Pakse.

On 6/3/2023 at 8:36 AM, DrJack54 said:

H.C.M.C 

Requires appointment. 

Correct and when I was exploring this option last February/March, the earliest available appointment was always 3-4 weeks away. Not a good option for the last-minute sort unless you don't mind a few weeks in Saigon (visa permitting).

• 7 months later...
On 6/4/2023 at 2:50 AM, stratocaster said:

I should be on holiday there in the next couple of days. I have a good Laos friend who does a bit of Thai visa agency work so will post on the latest news on my return.

So is there an update?

What is the situation as of now? (13/01/24)

PS - What is HCMC?

Edited by kwilco