Warning of water shortage from effects of El Niño from July

snoop1130

6F6545A2-A21D-4DAE-A7ED-F68278D754CF.png

People in Thailand are being advised to brace for the effects of the El Niño weather phenomenon from July until September, which could see a reduced amount of rainfall, by as much as 10% compared to last year, depending the severity of the weather condition, according to Somkuan Tonjan, director of the Central Weather Forecast subdivision of the Thai Meteorological Department.

Temperatures haves increased since the beginning of this year, with Mueang district of Tak having peaked at 44.6oC, which is equivalent to the temperature recorded in 2016.

He predicted that the coming months will be even warmer,due to fewer rainy days this year, with the rainy season expected to end in August. If there are one or two tropical storms, he said that the amount of rainfall this year may be 5% less than last year, as he warned that Thailand will experience a water shortage as levels in the country’s reservoirs are expected to drop sharply.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/warning-of-water-shortage-from-effects-of-el-nino-from-july/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-06-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

"which could see a reduced amount of rainfall, ..... by as much as 10%..... compared to last year"

That's it, 10%.   Last year was heavier, longer than average rainfall for us, so 1 reckon, we won't even notice it.    This year, just started, and a wee bit late.   But solid dark overcast and expect some rain this week.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He predicted that the coming months will be even warmer,due to fewer rainy days this year, with the rainy season expected to end in August. If there are one or two tropical storms, he said that the amount of rainfall this year may be 5% less than last year, as he warned that Thailand will experience a water shortage as levels in the country’s reservoirs are expected to drop sharply.

Water management in Thailand has a history of being miss managed... feast or famine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

And Thais do not seem to appreciate any need to conserve water, my Mrs wastes it without thinking. Mind you she does not think of conservation where the electricity is concerned either, I will pay!

Mine was the same. She thought nothing of dumping 20 liters of cold water, just to fill up 10 liters of hot, so that she could use 2 liters of it and leave the rest to go cold. 

Doesn't that 'I will pay' thing bother you? That's what drove a wedge between me and my ex in the end, because I couldn't stand that attitude.

• Thumbs Up 2

We could get the same yearly amount of rain, but in larger amounts causing floods. With the increase in sea levels this decreases the salt levels, which makes more evaporation and more rain. All we can do is just get use to heat waves and floods. We have completely screwed up the weather system on our planet, and will have to live with the huge Exstream's that this will bring.