Recommendations for sight-seeing places in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai

Y Chang

I will be traveling to Chiang Mai and possibly Chiang Rai with a friend, who is a very seasoned traveler.  He has been to many different places in Asia, Africa, South America, Australia and Europe.  This will be the first time for the both of us to visit Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai and I hope to take him to places that will feel unique and memorable to him.  I came up with the sight-seeing and activity list below.  For those who are locals or familiar with the Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai area, please let me know if any of the places on the list are worth (or not worth) going, and kindly include a brief reason why.  And further, if there are any "must visit" places that are missing from the list, please let me know.  (Please note that we are more interested in scenic places and less interested in temples.)

Chiang Mai Chiang Rai
Doi Ang Knang Doi Tung
Maetang Doi Mea Salong
Doi Inthanon National Park Golden Triangle
Kew Mae Pan Trail Singha Park
Pha Chor Canyon White Temple (Wat Rong Khun)
Royal Park Rajapruek Blue Temple (Wat Rong Suea Ten)
Bhubing Palace (near Doi Pui) Mae Fah Luang Art and Cultural Park (Rai Mae Fah Luang)
Queen Sirikit Botanic Garden Cooking class with market tour (Suwannee)
Elephant Nature Park Huay Mak Lium Hot Spring
Cooking class with market tour Choui Fong Tea
San Kamphaeng Hot Springs Kok River boat cruises
Lung Det Tea Plantation  

We also want to visit some hill tribes.  As I understand, there are many in the Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai hill areas, like the Hmong, Karen, Palong, Lisu, Lawa, Padaung, Lahu, and Akha.  Which one should we pick?

Finally, we will need to rent a car with a driver to take us around.  Any recommendation on a reliable transportation service company?

Look forward to some good suggestions!