Pad Thai?

Hadrian1

When I live in Thailand I used to visit Siam Square fairly often. This was around 8 years ago. I used to get a noodle type dish from some ladies who used to have a street stall not far from DK's book-shop. Their noodle dish was very popular and often had a lot of people queing. I remember that there was 'chicken feet' included in the dish which at the beginning I thought was some kind of squid. I used to ask for the dish without them once I found out. I am sure that they used egg noodles to make the dish but my memory is a bit sketchy. Anybody know the stall I mean? Was the dish Pad Thai or something else? I think Pad Thai is always made with rice noodles? If it wasn't Pad Thai what was it and could I have the recipee? It was lovely. Are they still selling the food there? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

When I live in Thailand I used to visit Siam Square fairly often. This was around 8 years ago. I used to get a noodle type dish from some ladies who used to have a street stall not far from DK's book-shop. Their noodle dish was very popular and often had a lot of people queing. I remember that there was 'chicken feet' included in the dish which at the beginning I thought was some kind of squid. I used to ask for the dish without them once I found out. I am sure that they used egg noodles to make the dish but my memory is a bit sketchy. Anybody know the stall I mean? Was the dish Pad Thai or something else? I think Pad Thai is always made with rice noodles? If it wasn't Pad Thai what was it and could I have the recipee? It was lovely. Are they still selling the food there? Thanks.

i am taking an educated guess now. it doesnt sound like pad thai ( i have never seen chicken feet in that), so it sounds more like gway tiaw, noodle soup, you can have it dry (heng) and it looks a bit like pad thai, or you can have it with the soup (naam)are they still selling the food there i have no idea.

can i have the recipe, sorry cant help, there must be at least 50,000 vendors in bangkok alone selling gway tiaw, and every one will taste different, sorry cant be of any further help.

Noodles and chicken feet.?

It sounds to me your talking about kanom jin, a southern province dish, very popular in bangkok as well. It is rice noodles as well though, mostly you can choose between 2-3 different sauces as topping.

regards

Timo

Thank you people for your replies. I can remember it was pretty hot spice-wise. It also had bit of fish....in there if I remember correctly. I don't think there was that much gravy. It was pretty dry. I think they used to provide that little bag with naam prik in it but I am not absolutely sure on that. A fork was sufficient to eat it so it was not broth-like. It came in one of those polystyrene cartons with a lid which you fold back. At the beginning I thought the chicken feet were something like squid but I later found out the truth and asked for that to be omitted. These ladies had a stall close to DK's in Siam Square and not far from the Hard Rock Cafe. They weren't there all day but would set up I think around the time that people finished work. Their dish was very popular judging by the people queing. Hopefully, somebody here will have seen this stall and will be able to confirm at some point.

" At the beginning I thought the chicken feet were something like squid but I later found out the truth and asked for that to be omitted. "

The only dish I know of where the chicken feet wouldn't clearly be chicken feet would be one where they have been deboned. Otherwise you're going to see the claw staring out at you - as it often does when used in Kahnom Jin - which of course is a dish from everywhere in Thailand, not just the South. In the North I only find this type of white, boiled chicken feet skin preparation to be used for Yam Woonsen. Mixed in with the bean thread noodles you might typically find shreds or slices of carrot, green onion, wood-ear mushroom, a few bits of boiled chopped pork, and the distinct herb pak kunchay - Chinese Celery. You can't miss this celery tatse.

Really you need to give alot more info. Was the dish clear, white, red ?? Dry or Wet, be more specific? What other ingredients can you remember? Were there black/brown chunks of blood in it (kanom jin, clear cut case)? How about taste, was it earthy (a curry) or was it sour like a Yam ? What color were the noodles ? Opaque - kanom jin? Clear - Woonsen? These few distinct details will make it very easy for us to help you identify it. I know your memory is fuzzy, but surely you remember more about the dish's looks and taste.

It was pretty dry. There wasn't a gravy and it wasn't a broth. I thought that the noodles were the egg variety and not clear. It did have the sour taste and was pretty hot. I am almost certain that the women used to open a pack and then soak the noodles for a while and then you could specify what they put into it or not.....in my case the de-boned chicken feet. I am sure there squid and shrimps were in it too. There was definitely no blood in it. I don't like that kind of stuff. But would chicken feet be mixed with sea-food? One day I will go back there just to look for them and find out for sure. Thanks for trying to guess from my poor recolletion.

Edited by Hadrian1

its called 'yum'...yum can be made in many different varieties....the chicken feet in your case is referred to as 'yum lep meu nah'

a combination of different ingredients, would be called 'roumit'....soaking the noodles is what finally gave your description away, its vermicelli.

its easy to make....for the actual liquid used to flavor it, you have to mix the liquid ingredients together first then add to the vermicelli and other ingredients.

its called 'yum'...yum can be made in many different varieties....the chicken feet in your case is referred to as 'yum lep meu nah'

a combination of different ingredients, would be called 'roumit'....soaking the noodles is what finally gave your description away, its vermicelli.

its easy to make....for the actual liquid used to flavor it, you have to mix the liquid ingredients together first then add to the vermicelli and other ingredients.

Is this yum dish a dryish dish? If my memory serves me correct, the noodles were in small packets. One packet for a portion. Do you have a recipee for yum? Thanks for your reply.

Ok, so now we're getting more details. It's likely you either had Yam Woonsen or Yam Mama by another's guess. Egg noodles are yellow. Bean noodles start kind of opaque and then turn clear. They also have a distinct tenderness to them when you bite them. Noodles for Mama come from instant Ramen packets and look like little curly yellow bricks. You would know them by their cheap food look. Woonsen come in a bundle the way you wrap an electric cord for a vaccuum cleaner - like a series of long concentric ovals. Usually for yam the ladies will open the top and pour water right in tot the see-thru bag and let the noodles soak for just a minute or two, then they're ready. Basically your experience with a Yam will be hot, sour, and salty. The salad itself is a balnce of colors and textures. Mama is not really so elegant and is flavored 90% by the little packet of flavor powder that comes with the ramen noodles. You'd likley know right away if you ate ramen from the lady. I'd bet my money that you ate yam woon sen - google's got a ton of recipes. It's super easy to make too.

I'll attach two cr@ppy pictures of it I found on the internet maybe this'll help. THough they lack details, you can get a good feel for all the fun stuff and colors that are in Yam. Notice the tomatoes, also another key ingredient, though not always necessary.

post-34348-1185807091_thumb.jpg

post-34348-1185807111_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I think we are getting somewhere. As I mentioned earlier, I thought the woman opened a pack for the noodles.....It therefore sounds like yam mama? Is the packet of flavour put in the water used to boil the noodles or sprinkled on top? If I remember correctly, she used to but the dry noodles in a sieve like utensil and then soak. I just cant remember if a posder was poured on top. Thank you anyway, I think I am pretty close to identifying it now. :o

Something I found:

/www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3215

Edited by sbk

lemon/lime juice

fish sauce

sugar

crushed peppers

to flavor, use more lemon/lime juice than anything else.

soak the vermicelli in a bowl of water for about 5 minutes...then very quickly submerge the vermicelli in boiling water for about 15-20 seconds ONLY.

mix the above ingredients first, then mix them together with the noodles and other ingredients....

tomatoes, cilantro/parsley, onion, ground pork(boiled), even hot dog slices, seafood is best used.

• 2 weeks later...
Noodles and chicken feet.?

It sounds to me your talking about kanom jin, a southern province dish, very popular in bangkok as well. It is rice noodles as well though, mostly you can choose between 2-3 different sauces as topping.

regards

Timo

I thought kanom jin was a generic term for chinese snacks. Never seen that one though. Chickens feet, no thanks. Chickens Arse? "No sweetheart, I'm full, you have it"

:o

• 4 weeks later...
I thought kanom jin was a generic term for chinese snacks.

I did as well when I first heard about it from my teacher at AUA. She took us to a khanom jiin place and we were all geared up to eat pastries and sweet things... but it turned out to be a restaurant with large clay pots containing various dishes to be eaten with cold white fermented noodles and raw veggies; for example red or green curry, naam yaa and naam ngiaow.