7 White Elephants Of The World.

Well as a past resident of the island of Oahu I am going to have to nominate the H3 Freeway. It is only 15 miles long, took over a decade to build at a pricetag of $1.3 billion. If I remember right when it was opened back in the late 90s, that made it the most costly interstate on a per distance basis.

The 'new' 7 wonders of the world seems to have pricked many people's interest. On the whole I agree with the 7 choices. However, I would have thought Stonehenge was more important than Christ in Rio.

What about the 7 white elephants of the world. The more pointless, wasteful and self indulgent the better.

I'd like to nominate The Millenium Dome in London. 1.2 BILLION POUNDS of public money spent on a project to get Tony Blair's in lights.

Central World has to be in the running. A huge, almost empty, monolith to over spending.

didnt the labour party actually inherit the project from the Tories?

"Peace In The Middle East"

Oh maybe we are still working on it :o or they maybe they deserve a chance to work it out for themseleves. Could peace even be considered a Possession?

Ok then, the Superconducting Super Collider (SSC). :D

"The closing of the SSC held drastic ramifications for the southern part of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, and resulted in a mild recession made most evident in those parts of Dallas which lay south of the Trinity River. At the time the project was cancelled, 22.5 km (14 miles) of tunnel and 17 shafts to the surface were already dug and nearly 2 billion dollars had already been spent on the massive facility."

*j*

I'd like to nominate The Millenium Dome in London. 1.2 BILLION POUNDS of public money spent on a project to get Tony Blair's in lights.

Peanuts compared to what is tossed into the bottomless Euro coffers by the UK year-in, year-out. Only the pissy little members benefit from that sham set up. :o Some of the original exhibits in The Dome were alright - the Chill Out Room :D - although, granted, 800- a billion quid on a glorified tent was a bit steep.

Here's a few more famous white elephants

• 2 weeks later...

Come check out superhighway between Lamphun and Chinag Mai. It seems they forgot where they put the steel and tried to build some underpasses without it. After three years the people have been told that it seem to be working fine as long as you use the cut-offs and turn-arounds.

Back in my home town of Los Angeles the city put 500 million into a school built on an earthquake fault and a site of naturally venting, underground methane gas. It was completed and now stands empty. The city called it the Belmont Learning Complex. White elephants and government officials make happy couples.

It looks gray to me :D "Austhaied" and welcome back BTW. :o

Kan Win :D

Thanks Kan, it's good to be home again. That building was once white believe it or not, but due to Bangers (and mash) heavy carbon monoxide emissions, it's now grey.. :D :D

United Nations

Taxpayer funded Global Warming "initiatives"

Eurotunnel (I love it. I use it. It's a technological marvel. But will it ever be profitable?)

Any number of early round draft picks in US professional sports.

Boston's Big Dig