Builders quotes!

stubuzz

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

You don't mention what other jobs are , so difficult to say if OK or not ,

and does builder supply the blocks , ect.

regards worgeordie

All jobs were priced individually for some reason. Builder supplies blocks.

Another job (not what I asked for- I asked to replace the sealing washers on the fixing bolts as some of them leak in heavy rain)

Replace fiberglass roofing sheets 14m2- 19,000bt

Perhaps he doesn't want the job.

We are building and face issues like this all the time. You didn't say where you were, but like, if he is busy then he's turning down good paying work to do your job then its understandable.

I got a guy atm, he gave me a price and I asked him how he got to that, he said, 7 days @ 2000B a day for his crew of 4 = 14K. I also thought it would take 7 days, the bonus is, if they work harder, which they are, they will finish in 5-6 days, and they get the bonus. He's a great guy and a great team, but it took a lot of time and luck to find him. Other guys that came asked for 60K for the same work, a few others came and asked for 10-15K but with less guys, and they couldn't even read the plan, which is a big problem here, builders that cant read a plan .. jeez.

If they were laying blocks it would be 80B/ m sqr, or thereabouts, render is 90-100B / m sq but you couldn't expect that on four rows of bricks. q-con are 36B each, a bag of cement 150B.

I would look for a guy on day rate. 500 for a tradesman, 400 for a laborer, 1000B for the boss who supplies lunch and fuel.

Thai builders are obsessed with "Mao" or price work. I used to do price work on big sites in London, it was reserved for the best guys after proving that they could do a good job on day rate. It would be an opportunity for good workers were rewarded with more money in a short time by working harder for long hours because the client wanted the job done fast. In Thailand, they think it's a right, a way to charge more for less work. Apparently, the work will be better if its on price, on day rate its slow and not good quality (not my words)

Edited by recom273

35 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps the quote was based on his assessment of your house to and from that what you were "worth"?

Back when I bought my house it needed several upgrades.It took me years to find a skilled honest neighborhood handyman.I know for a fact I paid over double the going rate for tile installation recommended by a neighbor.He f__ked me good.

I still don't talk to him.I use the same fellow for everything now and always tip him because I'm that grateful. You must be aware that there is the "farang" price and the price a local would pay.

I paid the farang price for several years..sheesh

Can not really talk about the job since specifications are not clear.  Will it include rendering, in Thai chap, painting, what steel reinforcing is included....?

Easy access or tight space? Both sides?

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Can not really talk about the job since specifications are not clear.  Will it include rendering, in Thai chap, painting, what steel reinforcing is included....?

Easy access or tight space? Both sides?

Easy access both sides no steel.

When I got quotations from my contractor, I made sure he separates work and material. And with the material I often asked exactly which material.

Especially the work was more expensive than I expected. But to be fair, when the first team which the contractor hired made a wall not 100% straight, the contractor had it removed and built from scratch again from another team without asking for more money.

Make sure you agree exactly on the work, payment conditions, and maybe what happens if the work is not does 100% to your satisfaction. It's not easy... 

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

I try and say, 1 worker B500/day tops,

Plasterers get about 650???? 

That's what I paid my guys because that's what they asked for

If they work for someone else about 1000 to 1100.

Edited by VocalNeal

12 hours ago, stubuzz said:

I asked to replace the sealing washers on the fixing bolts as some of them leak in heavy rain

I had that problem about 14 years ago, I did bother to replace the washers as I knew it wouldn’t work, they would just work loose or crush. The fix, that is still working, is to use bitumen backed aluminium squares then paint to match the roof.