Phnom Penh Info For First Visit

hsoa

Can anyone offer suggestions for staying in Phnom Penh? I will be there for about 2 weeks on this first visit, arriving at the airport.

A 55 year old man, I have visited Thailand numerous times on a restricted budget. Toilet and shower down the hall is fine with me. USD 15 per night is the top of my budget for lodgings. A/C nice but not absolutely necessary. To ensure reasonable quiet, it is a priority to be not too far from shops and markets but away from a busy street.

Where can I find such a place in PP? What area of the city? Any specific recommendations for a guesthouse or hotel are welcome.

Thanks for your contribution.

Central Market area is a good place to stay. It's kind of the old Phnom Penh.

Near Sorya shopping centre is Street 81. Lots of guesthouse on that street and nearby.

Also off street 130 is Happiness Inn 1.

Another good area is the streets south of Orussey market. It's quiet at night. Market worth a visit. Has everything you need. Also street markets  mainly food there but not near the hotels. Hotels in this area are about $10 and up in high season.

If having trouble communicating ask for Capitol Bus office.

It's low season now. If you look on one of the hotel booking websites you can get an idea of what's available. Many hotels are 50% off. I wouldn't book though because you may find next door is a construction site. Noisy and dangerous.