New Acer Laptop

NewGuy

I just got a new acer laptop, to replace an old HP model. Oi! What a mess. To reduce agro I tried to transfer my Firefox (with duckduckgo) to the new pc. Oops. Now I have a modified Bing browser with bizarre bookmarks on both units. Ouch! 

i should have reached out before I did all this, but I was too competent, haha.

Is there a way to fix my old and my new pc?

I probably screeed up. I tried following procedures to migrate firefox to the new unit. I’ve been using duckduckgo for a long time and like it. Now on my old unit my bookmarks are screwed up, same with new unit. My duckduckgo doesn’t come up on either without work. On next reboot, duckduckgo is gone again. Bing is always there.

I hate Bing and want it to go away.

1 hour ago, proton said:

Had a top of the range Acer lasted 3 years with repairs, HP did not last that long, crap brands

My 10 year old HP Pavilion is still operating without issue.  Only time opened was to upgrade to an SSD. 

16 hours ago, NewGuy said:

I just got a new acer laptop, to replace an old HP model. Oi! What a mess. To reduce agro I tried to transfer my Firefox (with duckduckgo) to the new pc. Oops. Now I have a modified Bing browser with bizarre bookmarks on both units. Ouch! 

What is described is nothing to do with the brand or make of laptop.

It is only a browser app, basically nothing to transfer from another laptop.

Just install firefox from their website on the new notebook and configure/set the search engine to the one you want in the browser settings to google, bing or duckduckgo.

Edited by freeworld
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, NewGuy said:

It’s unclear as to what you were trying to do. Eliminate DuckDuckGo from the discussion. It’s not an issue. Do you mean that you had Bookmarks/Favourites to transfer?

Duckduckgo is part of it, from my point of view. 

My old pc was configured well with firefox, duckduckgo was its search engine, the firefox bookmarks were fine.

I should have just installed firefox on the new pc and manually added bookmarks (entering them one-by-one), and done a better job with procedures to make duckduckgo the constant search engine (without google or bing ever coming up).

What I did was to follow firefox procedures to sync the old ff setup/bookmarks to the new pc.  After trying to do so my bookmarks have been changed/screwed up on both units. Ugh. I will have to work to remove Google search engine as a default (overriding, somehow, the duckduckgo default I set up).

I’m a dufus. My google issue was because, after install, the ff default book mark was Google. I removed it.  As for the bookmarks, before I was shown only ones I’d used for the last while. Now I have bookmarks going back decades, haha. When I’ve got nothing to do I’ll review them.

44 minutes ago, NewGuy said:

I’m a dufus. My google issue was because, after install, the ff default book mark was Google. I removed it.  As for the bookmarks, before I was shown only ones I’d used for the last while. Now I have bookmarks going back decades, haha. When I’ve got nothing to do I’ll review them.

don't stress ....  you'll get there in the end.  download FF on the new Acer,  download Duckduckgo if it's not built into the FF web browser ,  then import bookmarks,  then go to settings and have duckduckgo.com as you selection for search engine.   Then have a cold beer ....    haha

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1

I got the ACER PREDATOR HELIOS NEO 16 PHN16-71-71EE (OBSIDIAN BLACK), although I’ve hardly gamed in years, it caught my attention. The SSD is only 512, a step down for me. It looks great. 

since I spend most of my time on an iPad, I have yet to bump into Acer poop. What should I loose?

1 hour ago, topt said:

We are not in the mobile forum.................:whistling:

It's related if you read the post.

????.

Just suggesting not to waist money buying a new laptop when Samsung Ultra with the Dex app works just like a laptop.