Modern computers, reformatting how do you get system, Windows etc back

Kenny202

had a few virus alerts yesterday and computer started melting down. Huawei notebook about 2 years old. I was busy most of the night moving critical files and folders over to Google drive. Anyway I think I have isolated and deleted the virus (I hope) and everything ok this morning.

I was just wondering, in the old days you would receive an image disk with your new computer with system, windows, office etc to set your computer up the way it was when you bought it should you need to format and start again. What happens these days? How do you get all your stuff back and computer back to factory / in the shop settings?  

3 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I was just wondering, in the old days you would receive an image disk with your new computer with system, windows, office etc to set your computer up the way it was when you bought it should you need to format and start again. What happens these days? How do you get all your stuff back and computer back to factory / in the shop settings?  

Legit windows

Normally the install files are on a hidden partition.

Fake windows

No hidden partition.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Legit windows

Normally the install files are on a hidden partition.

Fake windows

No hidden partition.

Sorry, no.

Lots of original Windows installations don't have a hidden partition and installation files. A connection to the internet is all you need to get the newest version, officially. 

• Like 2

I did go and have a look at my settings and there is a reset computer setting. Everything on the computer including Windows and Office should be legit.....I bought it new and that's what is on there now. Good to know, hopefully I wont need to use it ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I did go and have a look at my settings and there is a reset computer setting. Everything on the computer including Windows and Office should be legit.....I bought it new and that's what is on there now. Good to know, hopefully I wont need to use it ????

Be aware that if you reset, your Office program will disappear. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sorry, no.

Lots of original Windows installations don't have a hidden partition and installation files. A connection to the internet is all you need to get the newest version, officially. 

But you don’t need an Internet connection to reset the PC..

44 minutes ago, NextG said:

But you don’t need an Internet connection to reset the PC..

It's some time ago that I did that. In principle you don't need internet to reset it. But it might be useful in case Windows checks for new drivers and other updates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And if you have a license then you can download it again from MS for free.

Indeed. Though they should choose the option to keep their personal files when doing the Reset. 

Just now, NextG said:

Indeed. Though they should choose the option to keep their personal files when doing the Reset. 

Windows has several reset options, including keeping personal files.

But in case of a virus I would save all personal files to an external device and then do a factory reset - just to be sure.

And then, first thing, install all the updates including AV updates and only then copy the personal files back. 

While we are at it, cam any of you guys recommend a good "zero knowledge" Cloud storage company. One where any of my data or information will not be sold on to advertisers etc. 200gb would be enough for me. Preferably one that works like dropbox where it integrates like another drive on your computer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Be aware that if you reset, your Office program will disappear. 

If only the Office app disappears and not the files associated with it the OP should be OK as the app can be reloaded again.

Hopefully the OP has moved all those files to a separate external HDD. 

Just now, billd766 said:

If only the Office app disappears and not the files associated with it the OP should be OK as the app can be reloaded again.

Hopefully the OP has moved all those files to a separate external HDD. 

OMF and I covered that extensively earlier. 

Download and create a bootable installation of windows using MS tool from their website.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

Plug usb into the pc and enter bios to select usb as the priority boot device.

Reboot and follow the installation instructions. You can delete/format all the partitions for a new installation.

All in all, installation and windows config will take about 1 hr.

For such a newish pc I would think the windows licence is stored in the bios and its already recognised/activated by MS during windows installation.

If you want to reset bios to factory settings, enter bios and reset save then reboot the pc.

Edited by freeworld

21 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

While we are at it, cam any of you guys recommend a good "zero knowledge" Cloud storage company. One where any of my data or information will not be sold on to advertisers etc. 200gb would be enough for me. Preferably one that works like dropbox where it integrates like another drive on your computer

Not too sure what zero knowledge is .. all cloud companies are going to mine your data, that’s why they are free.

If you want privacy then you need to setup your own, then there is nextcloud, https://nextcloud.com which is an open-source alternative. You could do this on a vps or even a small computer of your own at a remote location or on your home network.

I run a nextcloud server at home, I just sync folders like Dropbox, I can access files remotely, for example documents for immigration, they have a whole suite of phone apps.

I don’t pay too much attention to the development but I now see they do have companies offering managed servers, you can get 1GB free here https://www.hosting.de/nextcloud/managed-nextcloud/

• Thanks 1