Temple incident: Monk prompts killing of dog in Chiang Mai causes public outrage

webfact

image.jpeg

A shocking incident at a temple in Saming Nuea, Chiang Mai, saw the temple’s leading monk command a follower to shoot and kill a dog, according to an anonymous source on July 17. This graphic scenario, caught on video, has stirred public outrage for the cruel treatment of the animal and raised questions about monk conduct and regulations surrounding firearm possession.

The alarming video footage of the temple incident reveals the alleged monk, supposedly the temple’s abbot, entering a hut while saying, “Shoot it, shoot it to death.” Immediately afterwards, the sound of four gunshots can be heard, suspected to have been discharged by a disciple obeying the senior monk’s orders.

The complainant then shared an image of the slain dog, a bullet wound clearly visible on its leg and mid-back before the animal finally succumbed. The complainant expressed ignorance about why the monk exhibited such dissatisfaction and ordered the follower to shoot the monk’s dog.

by Samantha Rose

Photo courtesy of 123rf.com

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/monk-prompts-killing-of-dog-in-chiang-mai-public-outrage-and-calls-for-investigation-ensue-2

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-07-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

The complainant expressed ignorance about why the monk exhibited such dissatisfaction and ordered the follower to shoot the monk’s dog.

Why do monks have a gun??? Thai Buddhism??? ????

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, George Bowman said:

Throughout the years at the local temple, I have seen large packs of dogs that create havoc and a few that love to bite the locals.

It is not a one sided story.

We have all seen the way that some dogs defend their territory and themselves.

The one that I have seen many times is when some young people on motorbikes try and kick a sleeping dog as they drive past it.

Guess what. When the dog sees a bike, it goes for the feet of the people on it!

According to some folk, it is the dog's fault.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I've never seen or heard of people doing that.

I was in an outdoor noodle shop one time in a village up north. I saw this kid around 7-10 years old eating his noodles and watching this dog sleeping in the sun. After the kid finished his noodles he walked over to the dog quietly and soccer kicked it in the stomach as hard as he could; needless to say the dog ran off howling. I told my wife this could be one of the reasons some dogs bite people, bad history with humans.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Dogs here are not just a bite hazard and a noise problem, but also a traffic issue - have seen 2 motorbike accidents just outside our house caused by dogs attacking the riders, also one accident on the road with one man down injured and a dog looking dead. Lost count of how many dogs i have hit with the car - they just walk or run in front of you as if you are not there - by the time they move they are already in your blind spot in front of the bonnet. Usually just a nudge to get them moving (you cannot always see them) but did get one run straight into my car radiator grill and cause damage. It survived.

And of course the litter problem. Bins knocked over and contents spread everywhere. Finally, pets and domestic livestock killed.

An annual dog barbeque should be held in every village!

On 7/19/2023 at 6:49 AM, webfact said:

stirred public outrage for the cruel treatment of the animal and raised questions about monk conduct

On 7/19/2023 at 6:49 AM, webfact said:

The complainant expressed ignorance about why the monk exhibited such dissatisfaction and ordered the follower to shoot the monk’s dog.

Isn't it strange how foreigners know more about the reality of some elements of Thai culture than some Thais do?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1