Asanha Bucha Day - No One Ever Seems to Know What Day Is For!

Neeranam

Every year, around this time, I ask people what the Buddhist holiday is and inevitably most people say it is the day Buddha was Born/died. 

Do you know what the holiday next week is for? 

I have an interest in this one as I've been to the place where the thing happened. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And the next day is Buddhist Lent. He got around eh?

Good job they don't have public holidays in UK, and in Thailand for non-Budds,  for every religion's leader's birthday, christening (do the Muslims have that?) conception, circumcision, trial and execution. 

Yes I know, and most all things about TH.  It would show myself as ignorant, if not, and something I don't wear well. 

I personally would consider it very arrogant not to know, and don't want to be that person either.  Quite rude actually, to not enlighten one's self, especially as a guest.

Helps avoiding being disrespectfully, whether you believe or not in local customs & culture.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:35 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Here is a clear and concise answer to the main question posed in the OP:

"‘Asahna Bucha’ Day, also known as ‘Asalha Puja,’ or ‘Dhamma’ Day, depending on which region you’re observing it in, is a Buddhist festival celebrated on the full moon of the eighth lunar month. Usually, this falls in July of every year. This religious festival honors the Buddha and commemorates his first-ever sermon and the establishment of the Buddha’s ‘sangha’ — known as the ‘Four Noble Truths.’

‘Dukkha’ (suffering), ‘tanhā’ (craving), ‘nibbāna’ (the state beyond the challenges mentioned), and the eight-fold path, which is the route to ‘nirvana,’ make up the noble truths. Buddha’s sermon in which he outlined these teachings became known to his followers as the setting in motion of the “Dhamma,” which is a crucial concept with multiple meanings in the Theravada Buddhist faith.

This first sermon, which outlines Buddha’s first structured discourse following his enlightenment, contains the essence of all his subsequent teachings. After he delivered his sermon leaving his followers speechless and contemplating, one of the participants requested to be a disciple. Buddha granted him that honor and, in doing so, established the first order of monks."

https://nationaltoday.com/asahna-bucha-day/#:~:text='Asahna Bucha' Day%2C also,in July of every year.

Good, concise explanation. Also perhaps worth mentioning that the crowd supposedly gathered spontaneously.

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I went to Sarnath 30 years ago and highly recommend all Buddhists to go there. 

interestingly, most Thais don't want to go to India. 

16 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My wife has expressed interest. I would love it as well, though my traveling days may be behind me after three strokes.

My thesis was on the development of Hinayana Buddhism especially in Burma, even though I now get my “ Buchas” mixed up. ????

One of my primary reasons for coming to Thailand was to research an ancillary paper, and fell in love with my initial guide/translator.????

Edited by Kwaibill
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

My wife has expressed interest. I would love it as well, though my traveling days may be behind me after three strokes.

My thesis was on the development of Hinayana Buddhism especially in Burma, even though I now get my “ Buchas” mixed up. ????

One of my primary reasons for coming to Thailand was to research an ancillary paper, and fell in love with my initial guide/translator.????

Interesting, I came here initially for a meditation retreat, although I am not not a Buddhist. I also did a Mahayana retreat in Northern India, which was awesome, even meeting HH the Dalai Lama at the end. 

Sarnath, Gaya, Lumpini(now in Nepal), Kushinigar, I think are the 4 sites. Wish I'd gone to Gaya. 

• Love It 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:29 AM, Neeranam said:

Interesting, I came here initially for a meditation retreat, although I am not not a Buddhist. I also did a Mahayana retreat in Northern India, which was awesome, even meeting HH the Dalai Lama at the end. 

Sarnath, Gaya, Lumpini(now in Nepal), Kushinigar, I think are the 4 sites. Wish I'd gone to Gaya. 

Wow. Lucky dude to meet the Lama.

On 7/28/2023 at 4:42 AM, Sheryl said:

the most important one-- comes on a full moon day in May or June.

Gamma Globulin, in all his vast knowledge, just said that it comes in July, which it didn't this year. 

What did the people worship, celebrate before old B came along. And was he born and died on the same date,  a la Wm Shakespeare?

4 hours ago, Kwaibill said:

Wow. Lucky dude to meet the Lama.

An amazing experience. After shaking his hand, I felt like a knew everything, well for a couple of days. It felt actually like some kind of drug.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/27/2023 at 7:15 PM, KhunLA said:

I personally would consider it very arrogant not to know, and don't want to be that person either.  Quite rude actually, to not enlighten one's self, especially as a guest.

I know what you mean but I don't know about Christian holidays in the UK.  

Looking at a list, I don't know what the following are:-

• Shrove Tuesday. 
  • Ash Wednesday. ...
  • Lent. ...
  • Palm Sunday. ...
  • Ascension Day. ...
  • All Saints' Day.
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

• Shrove Tuesday. 
  • Ash Wednesday. ...
  • Lent. ...
  • Palm Sunday. ...
  • Ascension Day. ...
  • All Saints' Day.

You state;

"I know what you mean but I don't know about Christian holidays in the UK."

But then you list the following Christian Holidays by stating;

"Looking at a list, I don't know what the following are:-

Shrove Tuesday. 

Ash Wednesday. ...

Lent. ...

Palm Sunday. ...

Ascension Day. ...

All Saints' Day."

Since you seem to not know what they are and then seem to indicate that you do actually know at least about their inclusion in the Christian Calendar this little bit of advice may seem superfluous in this situation but I will give it anyway!

If in doubt try Google before making a total pratt of yourself!

11 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Gamma Globulin, in all his vast knowledge, just said that it comes in July, which it didn't this year. 

What did the people worship, celebrate before old B came along. And was he born and died on the same date,  a la Wm Shakespeare?

Legend has it that his birth, enlightenment and death all occurred kn the same day: full moon day of the month if Veshaka in thd old Indian lunar calendar. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

• Shrove Tuesday. 
  • Ash Wednesday. ...
  • Lent. ...
  • Palm Sunday. ...
  • Ascension Day. ...
  • All Saints' Day.

I used to know them.  Catholics having more than mine (Protestant), as most friends were Catholic, and I spent as much time in their church as mine.  

Mine as a youngin', Sunday school, learning all the, now, silly stories, then stopped going.  As adult, Catholic Church with wife & friends during holiday.  Even received communion ... I'm going to hell ????

Now, I pretty much chuckle during Christion holidays, if I even notice them.  Usually if mentioned in news.  I equate them to voodoo magic ceremonies now ???? 

Boggles my mine that people follow or should say, be controlled by religion.  Following the teachings of someone, learning to be a moral person is fine, if you need, but the other silliness ... nah, I'll give that a pass.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I used to know them.  Catholics having more than mine (Protestant), as most friends were Catholic, and I spent as much time in their church as mine.  

Mine as a youngin', Sunday school, learning all the, now, silly stories, then stopped going.  As adult, Catholic Church with wife & friends during holiday.  Even received communion ... I'm going to hell ????

Now, I pretty much chuckle during Christion holidays, if I even notice them.  Usually if mentioned in news.  I equate them to voodoo magic ceremonies now ???? 

Where I grew up, Glasgow, whether Protestant or Catholic was a big deal. We were encouraged not to mix, and actually now I understand to some degree why, well it was more an Irish thing with some of my relatives from the Western Isles. They weren't happy when I was given an Irish middle name or when my sister married a Catholic. 

i rebelled against Christianity but now I'm being drawn to some of Christ's great teachings. The stories we were told are mostly symbolic,IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 1