Samui municipality and Surat Thai governor to be sued over landfill pollution

snoop1130

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

On July 18th, the Nakhon Si Thammarat Administrative Court ordered the Samui municipality, the mayor and the governor of Surat Thani to dispose of the garbage, get rid of the foul smell emanating it and treat the waste water leaking out within 180 days. They are also to report to the court on the progress of the disposal efforts every 30 days.

Wow... justice for a change.

10 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Didn't the Japanese government donae an incinerator years ago?  

12 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Yes they did.

Unfortunately, there was no budget to maintain it. ????

I was told a foreign engineer who was experienced in repairing incinerators, offered to fix it a few years ago, but his offer was turned down. Perhaps for the reason mentioned by Tropicalevo.

The only other option I can see might be to transport the rubbish by barge to a mainland incinerator.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, phetphet said:

I was told a foreign engineer who was experienced in repairing incinerators, offered to fix it a few years ago, but his offer was turned down. Perhaps for the reason mentioned by Tropicalevo.

The only other option I can see might be to transport the rubbish by barge to a mainland incinerator.

Thought they did so, probably they "forgot" something.

Now how are they are going to handle it, as the sea is very close by.

On 7/28/2023 at 9:09 AM, phetphet said:

they started doing this a while back. Unfortunately very early on in the project a barge/ship with the rubbish on board sunk and it seems to have ended there.

• Like 1

The big trading companies like 7-11, Lotus, Big C, Makro should be obliged by law to take back their plastic packaging waste on the islands and bring it back to the mainland for recycling. For this purpose, collection containers should be set up. The delivery vehicles could then take the garbage back with them on the way back to the mainland.

• Confused 1