Bangkok bank internet banking --- adding a new 3rd party funds recipient.

5davidhen1

So from your post it's clear that Bangkok Bank still allows online banking to be done on a laptop.

Not so with SCB. I tried logging in a week ago only to find I could not locate the username/password field. Only then did I see a notification that from 14th July online banking can only be done from a mobile device such as a 'smart' phone, or presumably, a tablet.

Looks like I'll have to change to Bangkok Bank.

EDIT: Ah, ok I just saw there's already a thread on this.

Edited by mike_rad
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/31/2023 at 4:30 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

It quickly became clear that the reason for my "failure" was that I had been entering the entire a/c number, whereas one only needs to enter THE LAST 3 CHARACTERS. Nowhere on the transfers screen was this mentioned, and I informed the bank of this anomaly using their messaging facility.

For a recent one of mine it was characters 5,6 and 7 of 9 which were designated as "x" in the SMS.  The same layout could be seen on the iBanking screen eg 1234xxx89 so although not explicit it wasn't hard to work out what was required.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

It quickly became clear that the reason for my "failure" was that I had been entering the entire a/c number, whereas one only needs to enter THE LAST 3 CHARACTERS. Nowhere on the transfers screen was this mentioned, and I informed the bank of this anomaly using their messaging facility.

OP, i had exactly the same problem. Nowhere does it say they only want the last three digits. I had to visit my BB local branch.

Why oh why we are not made aware of this requirement is beyond me but hey TIT lol

On 7/31/2023 at 1:19 PM, mike_rad said:

So from your post it's clear that Bangkok Bank still allows online banking to be done on a laptop.

Not so with SCB. I tried logging in a week ago only to find I could not locate the username/password field. Only then did I see a notification that from 14th July online banking can only be done from a mobile device such as a 'smart' phone, or presumably, a tablet.

Looks like I'll have to change to Bangkok Bank.

EDIT: Ah, ok I just saw there's already a thread on this.

Pretty sure most Thai banks are shutting down internet.

I spoke with a Aussie actuary last weekend & he reckons that apps are now ruling the world.

Guess we have to adjust.????????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 7/31/2023 at 10:30 AM, 5davidhen1 said:

Some of you may find the following helpful:

When I tried to add a new 3rd party recipient to whom I wished to transfer funds, I was instructed to check my phone for a OTP and enter the OTP and the 3rd party's a/c number EXACTLY the same as the one showing up on my phone, onto the website.

After many failed attempts and receipt of continual error message "incorrect information, please ensure that you enter the recipient's a/c number EXACTLY as shown", I conceded defeat.

I took my laptop to my Bangkok bank branch on Jomtien second road, where the very kind security guard commenced inputting info' onto the bank's website. I watched him very closely as I needed to see where I was going wrong. It quickly became clear that the reason for my "failure" was that I had been entering the entire a/c number, whereas one only needs to enter THE LAST 3 CHARACTERS. Nowhere on the transfers screen was this mentioned, and I informed the bank of this anomaly using their messaging facility.

I should add that the aforementioned security guard has helped me with other problems in the past, saving me the hassle of queueing to see someone else. He is a very kind and helpful person, and is a great asset to the bank.

I had the same problem, once, for 30 seconds.

Thanks for the tip.

Here's another one that's not so obvious: when pouring from a bottle remove the cap first. See how much better that works?

I'd been breaking the necks off the bottles for several years before a convenience store clerk clued me in.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2023 at 10:49 AM, mike_rad said:

Bangkok Bank can be accessed via a PC, which is the same as a laptop but a bit smaller, if using Windows 8, 10 or 11, or a Mac. And of course, via their phone app.

4 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

I spoke with a Aussie actuary last weekend & he reckons that apps are now ruling the world.

You have been alerted/warned.????????

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

My main problem with that development is:  How do you download banking transactions to put into a spreadsheet or financial software like Quicken from a cell phone?

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?  I've only heard of two that are doing that...SCB and KTB.  Which others are doing it?

Watch this spot.

Got it.  No others have indicated that they will be jumping on the bandwagon, that's what i thought.

3 minutes ago, wpcoe said:

My main problem with that development is:  How do you download banking transactions to put into a spreadsheet or financial software like Quicken from a cell phone?

Agreed. Unfortunately, your, and my main problems are not the banks problems.

Internet will disappear.

Simples as we are forced to play the banks game.

Apps will rule (until the next incarnation).????????

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Agreed. Unfortunately, your, and my main problems are not the banks problems.

Internet will disappear.

Simples as we are forced to play the banks game.

Apps will rule (until the next incarnation).????????

I plan to close my two SCB accounts on my trip to Thailand this month.  I will keep my (one) Bangkok Bank account since, at least for now, I can still download transactions.

I originally only had one SCB account in Pattaya, but opened a second one when I lived in Hua Hin.  Then I opened a Bangkok Bank account when they still allowed simple (ACH) transfers of money from the USA.  It's overdue that I simplify things, so thanks, SCB, for persuading me to close your accounts.

• Thumbs Up 1