G Mail problem

NE1

I have been using my gmail account for a number of years , and I tried to send a mail today and received this..........

Mail Delivery Subsystem <mailer-daemon[at]googlemail.com>

11:24 (12 minutes ago)

to me
You no longer have access to ****[at]gmail.com. To send this email, choose a different ‘from’ address and try again. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en-GB

I clicked on the support link shown and it took me to a " google support page " that wanted my date of birth and verify with Credit Card (which dows not show a D.O.B.or a copy of my passport. Sounds highly suspicious.

Any body else had this recently ?

Screenshot_20230731_120204_Gallery.jpg

Edited by blackcab
Screenshot redacted

Yes, VERY suspicious. You never need to use a credit card to open a GMAIL acct. You've been hacked.

As an aside, I received a note today from GMAIL that any acct you haven't used in 2 years will be deleted starting in September. So, anyone who has a dormant GMAIL acct that doesn't want it deleted then you need to use it soon.

Just now, Farmerslife said:

It looks as if you may have entered your date of birth incorrectly or perhaps left it blank.

They have withdrawn your email account until you confirm that you are an adult and not a minor. 

I never have to enter my DOB. Just ID and password. Never had a problem.

2 minutes ago, HuskerDo2 said:

True. It does look odd but they do seem to be tightening up recently.

I also got the the same message that you did about dormant accounts.

6 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

True. It does look odd but they do seem to be tightening up recently.

I also got the the same message that you did about dormant accounts.

And not surprising, dormant accounts increase the time to process things. And no doubt there's millions of them.

I would suspect the response might be from the address you sent that email.  IE the email made it but destination a scam address or hacked and sent you that response.  Never, ever, click on a link in such a case.  

To prove just try to send to another address and have them advise you of receipt.

I found this on a Google search

Update your account to meet age requirements

To manage your own Google Account, you must meet the minimum age requirement for the country associated with your account.

If we have learned that you may not be old enough to manage your own account:

You’ll have 14 days to either set up supervision for your account or verify that you’re old enough to manage your account. During this grace period you can log in and use your account as normal.

If your account is through work, school, or another organization, your account may not be eligible for parental supervision. If that is the case, your account will be disabled immediately. You should contact your admin if you have questions.

If you choose not to set up supervision or verify you’re old enough to manage your account within 14 days, your account will be disabled and your account information will be deleted after 30 days.

Important: If your account is disabled, content you've published will be hidden. For example, YouTube videos you've created won't be visible while your account is disabled. If you re-enable your account it may take up to several days for your content to show up again.

Set up supervision for your account

If you're not old enough to manage your own account, you can have a parent use their Google Account to set up supervision so you can continue using your account. You have 14 days after you entered your birthdate to enable supervision before your account will be disabled. After your account is disabled, you have 30 days to enable supervision before your account will be deleted.

Tip: Supervision can't be set up for a Brand Account. You’ll need to delete or change who manages your Brand Account before you can set up supervision.

Verify you’re old enough to manage your account

If you meet the minimum age requirements, you can use a government ID to verify your age. You may also be able to verify your age with a credit card.

If you use a credit card, any temporary authorization will be fully refunded. If you upload a copy of your ID, your ID will be securely stored, won’t be made public, and will be deleted after your date of birth is successfully verified.

Important: After you sign in to your Google Account, you’ll get instructions on how to directly upload a valid ID or enter credit card information. Google will never ask you to provide this type of information in an email.

Use a government ID

Use a credit card

Check the status of your request

Download data from your account

If you’re waiting for your account to be re-enabled or you can’t re-enable your account, you may be able to download and save account data from some Google Services.

Within the first 14 days, you can sign in to your account and download your data.

If your account has been disabled, you may be able to download and save account data from some Google services.

Delete your Google Account

If you don't want to add supervision or verify your birthdate, you can choose to delete your Google Account before it is disabled.

Sorry, I should have highlighted this from the above text

3 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

After you sign in to your Google Account, you’ll get instructions on how to directly upload a valid ID or enter credit card information. Google will never ask you to provide this type of information in an email.

46 minutes ago, NE1 said:

I have been using my gmail account for a number of years , and I tried to send a mail today and received this..........

to me
You no longer have access to ****[at]gmail.com. To send this email, choose a different ‘from’ address and try again. Learn more at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/22370?hl=en-GB

I clicked on the support link shown and it took me to a " google support page " that wanted my date of birth and verify with Credit Card (which dows not show a D.O.B.or a copy of my passport. Sounds highly suspicious.

DELETE IT, do not open ANY links or attachments, or a virus or empty bank account could arrive.

53 minutes ago, NE1 said:

to me

Why not contact Google customer support and ask them?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NE1 said:

to me

If you are on a PC with a Windows operating system, go here: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts and open it with Notepad. Copy the contents and post it here if you like. The Hosts file is one common way of highjacking browsers.

6 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

No nor me. This is a message coming from Google support saying that I am not old enought to manage my account and they need some proof of age before they allow me to proceed.

Not bad , I have had this e mail address for possibly 15 years , and I am way over the required age for managing my own account.

6 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

It looks as if you may have entered your date of birth incorrectly or perhaps left it blank.

They have withdrawn your email account until you confirm that you are an adult and not a minor. 

I have been using the same account for 15 years or so.

Nothing has changed and the d.o.b. makes me over 50.

6 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

After you sign in to your Google Account, you’ll get instructions on how to directly upload a valid ID or enter credit card information. Google will never ask you to provide this type of information in an email.

They didn't , it was in their support system that this came about.

7 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Yes, VERY suspicious. You never need to use a credit card to open a GMAIL acct. You've been hacked.

As an aside, I received a note today from GMAIL that any acct you haven't used in 2 years will be deleted starting in September. So, anyone who has a dormant GMAIL acct that doesn't want it deleted then you need to use it soon.

What does using it include?

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Delete it, sign out, sign in then change your password.....

I can't change my password as my account has been suspended until they can sort out the age verification.