What are some better cost-effective solutions to keep Australian mobile service active just to receive OTP codes?

Douglas123

It has become pretty much universally mandatory now to use OTP codes as a security login feature. I need to keep an Australian mobile number active just so I can receive SMS OTP code from time to time so I can login to government and other financial services back in Australia.

Optus used to have some fairly decent long term plans before the COVID epidemic that would not have the service expire for a long period (even if your credit was expired). Seems like that all has changed now and I suspect blatant profiteering has become norm since login security with OTP has become so normalized now.

Right now I am using an Optus Prepaid Long Expiry plan where I can top up $10 AUD every 45 days to keep the service active. My friend (expat too) has it even worse where they can not even access this plan and are on the Optus Prepaid Flex and getting done dirty being forced to topup and have credits expiring in a couple of days. We tried to move them to the long expiry plan but it seems impossible. I talk to Optus support and they just seem to deny it even though i am able to find the evidence here https://www.optus.com.au/shop/cis/Mobile?subGroup=Prepaid+Mobile

I have investigating porting the number to another carrier but it seems that they are not any better and will need me to be in Australia for it to happen. Feeling a bit frustrated about it TBH. I heard about VOIP options with Google Voice, Zoom and such but it seems like they are setup for US citizens and also often charge more monthly costs than the Australian telcos.

Is there any good options out there or should I just resign to the fact to keep smiling and take it as they bend me over? 

I no longer have an Oz mobile number - for over a decade now. I just use my Thai mobile number + email address. Never had a problem with OTP or dealing with Oz government agencies or banks, whether by email or phone.

But I'm not all that tech-savvy so perhaps I've missed out on problems.

Thanks for the comment. Some of the services such as Citibank have let me change to thai number so that works fine but I am fairly sure some others (e.g. my.gov.au) will only accept Oz number unfortunately.

I honestly would wash my hands clean with Australian telcos if I could.

• Thumbs Up 1

same problem with trying to log into banks etc america....i am being told by t mobile that i can reduce my current plan to cheapest for $10 a month and be able to send/ receive texts to usa phones but no phone calls..hope it will work...

i want to keep my usa t mobile number for future use but want a thai number when in thailand......

who knows with phone companies as sure is hard to get a straight answer from them...

Aldi Mobile, top up once per year with the minimum top up amount of $15. You can use the top ups to buy a monthly plan when visiting Oz. If you travel a lot it may not work everywhere, for example it didn't work for me in Albania. I have 2 Aldi Sims, one is spare in case I lose my phone.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Aldi Mobile, top up once per year with the minimum top up amount of $15. You can use the top ups to buy a monthly plan when visiting Oz. If you travel a lot it may not work everywhere, for example it didn't work for me in Albania. I have 2 Aldi Sims, one is spare in case I lose my phone.

Yep

Aldi for me as well.

https://www.aldimobile.com.au/collections/payg

17 minutes ago, Douglas123 said:

Thanks for the comment. Some of the services such as Citibank have let me change to thai number so that works fine but I am fairly sure some others (e.g. my.gov.au) will only accept Oz number unfortunately.

I honestly would wash my hands clean with Australian telcos if I could.

Mygov is easier to use with the Mygovid app, once set up you can use it with the fingerprint on your phone. From recollection it scans your passport and driving licence to verify identity.  Can be used on 2 phones so you can have a backup.

ALDI sounds great! I guess the only problem I will have with that is the MNP process. The telcos I have spoke with so far have advised me that I need to do the process in Australia as it will reject my application when doing it from overseas. 

Can anyone confirm that with ALDI? I guess a VPN service probably will not resolve that issue either.

24 minutes ago, Douglas123 said:

ALDI sounds great! I guess the only problem I will have with that is the MNP process. The telcos I have spoke with so far have advised me that I need to do the process in Australia as it will reject my application when doing it from overseas. 

Can anyone confirm that with ALDI? I guess a VPN service probably will not resolve that issue either.

I suggest you talk with ALDI.

Like others, I have found the one year period to be far better than other telcos in Oz. Very easy to top up online too, when I want to extend my expiry date.

• Like 1

Have the same prob with UK bank whom i already have an account with, offering 4+% interest transferred 10k AUD now find I can't open that type of account without a UK phone number for the OPT code.  so now getting zero instead of 1.3% interest I was getting in OZ :saai:

I did amaysim for a year and only ever got junk calls. I've used Vodafone for years. Just turn off data and on international roaming. When I'm back in Australia get free credits when do monthly. Data not used increases. Free calls and SMS, and 100 minutes overseas free each month. No problem receiving those OTP's.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2023 at 10:55 AM, MAF666 said:

I have had a Skype Sydney number for some years.

instantly get the codes on whatever device I am on.

Friends and family can call me wherever I am for the cost of a local call.

I realise this is over a month old, but I'm in the same position as the OP, and looking for a solution to the receiving SMS quandary.  Skype would seem to be ideal, but everything I've seen on the Microsoft site, and various forums, says that you can only receive SMS's on a US number.  Can you confirm that you are able to receive SMS's sent from Australia on your Australian Skype number?

Otherwise, I'll be getting an Aldi sim on my next visit later this year.

image.png.b5a77590319b7def11a4558d8b0f0a37.png

image.png.733be067c593d9507eda7510ea5e0f8a.png