Taking My Girl To Canada

I'm American. Want to go to Canada to research setting up a business and second home. Would like to take my Thai girlfriend with me if possible.

Is this possible?

I was told for England its like a 90% Visa approval rate. Same for Canada? Any info appreciate.

Thx

I'm American. Want to go to Canada to research setting up a business and second home. Would like to take my Thai girlfriend with me if possible.

Is this possible?

I was told for England its like a 90% Visa approval rate. Same for Canada? Any info appreciate.

Thx

You need to provide way more info than that. What's her situation in Thailand? Has she travelled outside Thailand before? Has she gone to the US with you yet? What reasons are you giving the Canadian embassy about your intentions?

You need to provide way more info than that. What's her situation in Thailand? Has she travelled outside Thailand before? Has she gone to the US with you yet? What reasons are you giving the Canadian embassy about your intentions?

K sorry

She has a University degree, works for her sisters company. She used to own a business in Thailand for several years but it folded a year or so ago. She is 26, speaks good english, not fluent but strong conversational. She has not gone to the US with me and I'm intimidated to even try and get her a Visa, sounds very hard.

She has travelled a lot outside of Thailand. I've been with her to Hong Kong, Macau and Shanghai and she has been to Australia and Singapore, probably other places as well.

I don't know what I'm going to tell the embassy. Whatever is best w/out lying, to have the best chance of getting her a Visa.

She wont be working or looking for work there, she'll just be a tourist. I haven't even looked into my own Visa situation yet...ahh the beauty of being American, look it up the night before on the internet and get on the plane.

I'd just tell them you want to take a holiday together to Canada. Her previous trips outside Thailand will act as a good reference providing she hasn't overstayed. Be sure to have letters from her employer stating that she is employed, and that she is expected to return to work. Have a rough trip itinerary in mind just in case they ask what your plans are.

As for your visa for Canada, you don't need one. A valid drivers licence and birth certificate are all that's required but a passport will make everyone feel better. :o

Is this possible?

Thx

This is only hearsay. I have heard from a lot of younger, unmarried Thai ladies (working in banks, offices, realestate, etc) that it is extremely difficult to get a visa for Canada. They do not know why.

Being American, if you can get her into the USA, then it may be easier to get her into Canada from the USA. However, just be wary that once she is not allowed into Canada, it would be almost impossible the next time. If you are near the Canada/USA border, a road trip into Canada may be the easier way.

Good luck.

If you are near the Canada/USA border, a road trip into Canada may be the easier way.

Good luck.

Showing up at the border with no visa will get you turned away. All this tricks and slight of hand stuff have been done a thousand times and immigration isn't stupid. Don't play games or you'll screw it all up.

Edited by cdnvic

I am Canadian and wanted to take a vacation with my Thai gf through Canada, US and Mexico. We had previously travelled together to Russia, China, Australia, Myanmar, Singapore, Indonesia and more (we like to travel).

At first I wasn't even going to bother bringing her to Canada, because I don't like it there much so we applied first at the US embassy... they turned her down, saying that we should get the Canadian visa first.

We then applied for the Canadian... the Canadian people at the embassy in BKK are total a**holes... they interviewed her for like an hour... the big problem they had was that she didn't have a job (she is just kinda going to school right now... english school)... they said because she didn't have a job to come back to they were worried she wouldn't come back. My reasoning with them was, sure, she could have some job at a 7-11, making $10/day, or even a fairly high paying Thai job, paying $30-40/day, but how are those things any incentive for her to come back? If our intention was to go there and have her stay there and work illegally, then we/she wouldn't care much about these relatively low paying jobs here anyway...

I am fairly well off (I don't need to work) and pointed that out but it didn't matter to them...

They were total jerks... they told me that I should apply to have her partially immigrate to Canada (and acted like I was lying about why I wanted to take her there)... I told them that I have no interest in ever living in Canada and neither does she (seriously, who would want to live in cold, communist Canada? but anyway...), but they just kept acting like I was lying.

So, anyway, my advice is to make sure you have everything (job letters, etc) all as good as possible and even possibly talk to them beforehand to get a sense for what you will need to show them.

It is by far the hardest place I have gone to get a visa for my gf... and I found that bizarre, considering Canada is my home country... I thought it'd be the easiest... looks like I was wrong.

Good luck.

Edited by jberwick

I am Canadian and wanted to take a vacation with my Thai gf through Canada, US and Mexico. We had previously travelled together to Russia, China, Australia, Myanmar, Singapore, Indonesia and more (we like to travel).

At first I wasn't even going to bother bringing her to Canada, because I don't like it there much so we applied first at the US embassy... they turned her down, saying that we should get the Canadian visa first.

We then applied for the Canadian... the Canadian people at the embassy in BKK are total a**holes... they interviewed her for like an hour... the big problem they had was that she didn't have a job (she is just kinda going to school right now... english school)... they said because she didn't have a job to come back to they were worried she wouldn't come back. My reasoning with them was, sure, she could have some job at a 7-11, making $10/day, or even a fairly high paying Thai job, paying $30-40/day, but how are those things any incentive for her to come back? If our intention was to go there and have her stay there and work illegally, then we/she wouldn't care much about these relatively low paying jobs here anyway...

I am fairly well off (I don't need to work) and pointed that out but it didn't matter to them...

They were total jerks... they told me that I should apply to have her partially immigrate to Canada (and acted like I was lying about why I wanted to take her there)... I told them that I have no interest in ever living in Canada and neither does she (seriously, who would want to live in cold, communist Canada? but anyway...), but they just kept acting like I was lying.

So, anyway, my advice is to make sure you have everything (job letters, etc) all as good as possible and even possibly talk to them beforehand to get a sense for what you will need to show them.

It is by far the hardest place I have gone to get a visa for my gf... and I found that bizarre, considering Canada is my home country... I thought it'd be the easiest... looks like I was wrong.

Good luck.

Well then stay away from here jack A** I got my thai gal and kids here and actually the canadian embassy was very helpfull to us so you talking through your hat Herr Jerbwitz

Might be cold here but at least we care so I recommand you stay where you are or move to the fascist USA sounds like your style!!!!!!!!!!! and for the yanks that is looking into moving here... hum give us one good reason to help you !!

I'd just tell them you want to take a holiday together to Canada. Her previous trips outside Thailand will act as a good reference providing she hasn't overstayed. Be sure to have letters from her employer stating that she is employed, and that she is expected to return to work. Have a rough trip itinerary in mind just in case they ask what your plans are.

As for your visa for Canada, you don't need one. A valid drivers licence and birth certificate are all that's required but a passport will make everyone feel better. :o

I believe the rule is changed here since we now need passport ourselves to go to the US

I vaguely remember reading something about that kinna of a tit 4 tat thing

Well then stay away from here jack A** I got my thai gal and kids here and actually the canadian embassy was very helpfull to us so you talking through your hat Herr Jerbwitz

Might be cold here but at least we care so I recommand you stay where you are or move to the fascist USA sounds like your style!!!!!!!!!!! and for the yanks that is looking into moving here... hum give us one good reason to help you !!

<deleted>? Just because you had a good experience doesn't mean that i am 'talking through my hat', whatever the hel_l that means. You don't think it is possible that I could have had a bad experience because you had a good one? You are a real genius aren't you.

And thank you, I am very happy to stay away from Canada... why you get so emotional that I don't like Canada? You sound like a typical Canadian who thinks Canada is the best place in the world...

As for telling the American guy not to come to Canada, you do realize that there are a lot of nice people in America despite the imperialist government they have been subject to, don't you?!? Again, typical Canadian, thinks Canada is SO amazing yet America is SO terrible... I call Canada, "Camerica" most of the time, cuz it ain't all that different. And in many ways, it is worse... although if I had to choose between living in Canada and America (a nightmare scenario) I would likely pick Canada... it's a bit better imo.

And then you state, "it may be cold here but at least we care" and then you go on to spew hatred against me and your American neighbor??!! You must've been drunk when you wrote that right? Get back in your pickup and go for a drive.

You sound like a real a$$. Yet another reason to stay away from Canada.

Edited by jberwick

Is this possible?

Thx

my experience was negitive as well. I have a finance in Udon thani. After visiting her for a month in Feb. Before i returned we decided to ahve her come to Canada for a visit 2 months. Came back and began my paper trail of acquiring all the documentation required so that when she ent to Bkk, it was legit and officialized on my end by my lawyer. They made her fly to Bkk twice, let me tell you i acccumulated all the documents and more to support that she was ONLY here on a visit. on her second trip to Bkk, they interviewed her twice, second time on the office they said "NO". There reasoning, she was young...ha. as well I need to come to see her 2-3 more times, also be married to her.

While I was there i purchased some land and had a home designed to be built, It is in her name, so now Iam returning i Nov. we are to be maried and the home will be completed when I arrive. HAving said that we are both going to fly to Bkk after our marriage, to apply for the visa...again. Apparently this time it is suppose to be assured...."i do ont beleive any of the bs the govt consulate talks of" I can tell you that for one: the person ding the interview is thai citizen, not canadain. Also they are very biased towards women who come from socially economic depressed areas especially the Issan region. I learnt this after, from a freind that lives outside of Bkk.

I did learn that if the girl is coming ot canada on a work visa...(ie) if she is sponsored by an employer, such as a night club or caberat...she walks in and walks out withhe visa...I have seen this!! So for us to have gf's come here on honest visits, they label the woman as oportunist, wanting to illegally stay here...it si very frustrating to say the least. IN my case Iam leaving canada in 09. To reside in Thailnd. Unitl then, I feel that the system is treating me as tough Iam a criminal, i have worked here all my life...own a home...ect. So here iam.

So to your reply, I can tell you, make sure you develop a sincere and in deth compilation of as much informatin as possible, remember, owning land or a home on the land is as good or better than a marriage certificate. If her family has land, get some in her name, at a local land title office. Sounds absurd, but i have expereinced it... as well, an adres incanada they can trace as a residence when you are there...no hotels allowed...its true.

hope some of this will help you wiht your journey, remember, having the job is important but not ther deciding factor. Gather as much informtion as you can.

good luck

Tom

Is this possible?

Thx

Hi all,

Been a member here for over 5 years but still marked as a 'newbie' and I don't know how to make my own post (if anyone can help me with that I'd much appreciate it but the real nature of my post is about my wife. I worked in thailand self employed on the internet for almost 8 years. Been with my wife for 7 but we didn't get married until about 5 months ago. I moved to Las Vegas a month and a half ago, got a shit job and am soon to get a second one. How hard would it be to bring my wife here and how would I proceed?

thanks for looking,

G

I believe the rule is changed here since we now need passport ourselves to go to the US

I vaguely remember reading something about that kinna of a tit 4 tat thing

The US congress voted to delay implimentation of the passport requirement until at least 2009. The issue was never that Canada was requiring US citizens to show passports to enter Canada, but that US border officials would require them to show a passport in order to return to the US. As I said earlier, this requirement has been postponed.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...70615?hub=World

Regarding the Canadian (actually Thai) interviewers at the Canadian Embassy, you need to be firm with them, unafraid to go over their heads to some actual Canadians, and bring every conceivable document you think they might ask for so that when they suddenly spring it on you without warning, you're ready. :D

My wife finally told the lady interviewing her that she was tired of playing games and that they should either issue her a visa, or not issue it because she needed to go back to work. That was after a rather loud phone call and email to the supervisor there. Her visa was issued the next day.

If you are having trouble with them still, contact your member of parliament back home. They can be surprisingly helpful.

As for the rest of you in this thread, you aren't helping anyone by acting like complete tw@ts. Love Canada, or hate it, either help the poster or bugger off.

Edited by cdnvic

To make a new post, click on "new topic"... you will get much better response by creating your own post rather than interupting this thread. cheers

Hi all,

Been a member here for over 5 years but still marked as a 'newbie' and I don't know how to make my own post (if anyone can help me with that I'd much appreciate it but the real nature of my post is about my wife. I worked in thailand self employed on the internet for almost 8 years. Been with my wife for 7 but we didn't get married until about 5 months ago. I moved to Las Vegas a month and a half ago, got a shit job and am soon to get a second one. How hard would it be to bring my wife here and how would I proceed?

thanks for looking,

G

<deleted>? Just because you had a good experience doesn't mean that i am 'talking through my hat', whatever the hel_l that means. You don't think it is possible that I could have had a bad experience because you had a good one? You are a real genius aren't you.

And thank you, I am very happy to stay away from Canada... why you get so emotional that I don't like Canada? You sound like a typical Canadian who thinks Canada is the best place in the world...

As for telling the American guy not to come to Canada, you do realize that there are a lot of nice people in America despite the imperialist government they have been subject to, don't you?!? Again, typical Canadian, thinks Canada is SO amazing yet America is SO terrible... I call Canada, "Camerica" most of the time, cuz it ain't all that different. And in many ways, it is worse... although if I had to choose between living in Canada and America (a nightmare scenario) I would likely pick Canada... it's a bit better imo.

And then you state, "it may be cold here but at least we care" and then you go on to spew hatred against me and your American neighbor??!! You must've been drunk when you wrote that right? Get back in your pickup and go for a drive.

You sound like a real a$$. Yet another reason to stay away from Canada.

The animosity is spilling over between you too,and the vile venom hit me square in the face.When I was a kid I played road hockey with vietnam draft dodgers.They stayed at a liberal - minded doctors house down the street.On TV we saw the blood and gore out of Vietnam..now 38 years later the sanitized version of CNN's coverage of Iraq (and the unfortunate US soldiers,many of the black and unemployed or with low paying jobs in the US there fighting in the 50 c heat) is like that to avoid another Kent State situation.Canada is only in Afganistan; the Canadian government did not fall victim to G Bush's enteaties to follow the US into Iraq as did Mr. Blair.Most Canadains know a lot more about US history,presidents etc. than do the generally myopic and supremely patriotic Americans,but I am not denigrating the US.However,last time I was in Seattle I counted 25 US flags in a mall parking lot..over kill supreme!The history of Canadians going west (young man) includes a British police presence from day one.Conversely,in the US it was generally the strong man,or fastest draw that was the sherrif..and you can still see that today in the US with rampant guns,and more people incarcerated per capita than anywhere in the world.Yes, I am biased,and you can still still see the vestige of the " good old boy red-neck mentality" in Washington with George.The bottom line is the average American is a good person, but as their anthem says.."and the rockets red glare,the bombs bursting in air....whats new? Now to get to the topic...I hope you are successful in your quest for a visa for your gf...I'll find out Monday if my gf got hers.cheers yank

Regarding the Canadian (actually Thai) interviewers at the Canadian Embassy, you need to be firm with them, unafraid to go over their heads to some actual Canadians, and bring every conceivable document you think they might ask for so that when they suddenly spring it on you without warning, you're ready. ;)

My wife finally told the lady interviewing her that she was tired of playing games and that they should either issue her a visa, or not issue it because she needed to go back to work. That was after a rather loud phone call and email to the supervisor there. Her visa was issued the next day.

If you are having trouble with them still, contact your member of parliament back home. They can be surprisingly helpful.

I lived in Singapore for 4 years and had many dealings with Asian bureaucracy... be firm, persistent, raise your voice, lose your temper if necessary... not usually my style, but it works. Also, my experience is that if you can get to deal with someone from your own country, they will want to be helpful; they know what it is like to be a stranger in a strange land and usually will be able to judge your intentions and make a call, whereas locals will a) find it difficult to read you and B) be inclined to take the safe option, least they bear the brunt of any cock up... having said that, being shouted at is even more scary for them.

My dealings were with Singapore Immigration (difficult, but respond well to persistence, reason, and written requests (because these are easy to refer to someone more senior)), the Thai embassy (they go out of their way to be difficult, lost my temper, which helped) and the NZ embassy (locals not so helpful, NZers very helpful). My Thai gf came and lived with me in Singapore, later we married, had two children, registered them as Thai and NZ citizens, arranged for my wife's sister to come and live with us... at the time it seemed never ending.

Now we are living in NZ (my country)... the immigration process here is as bad as anywhere, everything takes forever and you have to provide a ridiculous amount of documentation, but at least you can phone up and talk to someone and they will try and help you, and if worst comes to worst, there is a well documented appeals process.

Hi,

Sorry this is my first post so you will all have to bear with me. To the gentleman that wants to bring his girl to Canada. FORGET IT!!!!! It won't happen. Canada (or the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok) is 100% prejudiced against Thai people -especially Thai women. Canada will let you in if you are Indian, Pakistani, Chinese or Filipino but they seem to have something against the Thai people. Canada will let you in if you are a member of the Russian Mafia, a pedophile, a Vietnamese drug lord, a terrorist or a stripper/prostitute (because a female politician in Ottawa claims we are short of these service people)! We truly are an embarrasement to the world. I used to be very proud to be a Canadian but nowadays I hang my head in shame when I walk the streets of Bangkok, Chiang Mai or my home city of Fang.

Recently my Thai wife, older daughter and sister - in - law travelled from Fang in Northern Thailand by bus to Chiang Mai, hopped a plane to Bangkok and spent three nights in an upscale hotel near the Embassy in order to apply for a Canadian tourist visa. They wanted to come and visit me while I work my summer stint in Canada.The total cost of the whole excursion, and meals and the $30 Canadian non - refundable fee for visa applications came to about $1000 Canadian. They brought with them all their government paperwork, Thai passports, land titles for three farms, land titles for three properties ( with 2 new houses that we have built on them), bill of sale for a brand new Toyota pickup truck, bank accounts, my wifes Visa and Mastercard credit cards with total limits of $36,000 Canadian and Canadian addresses and phone numbers where they will be staying in Canada. She showed them paperwork for our younger daughter of eleven who goes to school in Fang and can't make the trip.

The three were turned down flat. They were told better luck next time - come back in three months and TRY AGAIN! When my wife asked why they were turned down - they were told that they were suspected to hide once they were in Canada. She was told to apply for a six month visa next time - maybe she could enter Canada that way. The Thai workers there told her to not apply for a tourist visa - they simply do not issue them. They take your $30 fee but never issue any tourist visas. My wife talked to most of the Thai applicants there in her two days at the Embassy. Everyone was turned down. Some people were yelled and screamed at in the Embassy. They even made a few ladies cry by running then down as people who could not afford to go to Canada. They all were quite disappointed with Canada. "Why do they not put a sign outside claiming they do not give out Canadian tourist visas"? "Why do they make us waste all our money" was the comment from all. Needless to say my wife will not spend another penny to apply for another visa. "Why on earth would I want to go to a country that treats people so badly" she asks me.

Sorry this is my first post so you will all have to bear with me. To the gentleman that wants to bring his girl to Canada. FORGET IT!!!!! It won't happen. Canada (or the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok) is 100% prejudiced against Thai people -especially Thai women. Canada will let you in if you are Indian, Pakistani, Chinese or Filipino but they seem to have something against the Thai people.

So how did all the Thais in Canada get here?

Your post is full of BS.

So far I personally know 13 Thais who have been granted visas for Canada, and only one guy who was turned down but he was an overstaying Laotian.

If you have at 100,000B in a bank account, a good reason to go, and a better reason to return, and provide every conceivable bit of paperwork you can think of. Then I can’t see why you are not getting in. When my wife went for the first time I coached her well on the reasons to come and go, where she would travel and why. She was nervous but she did fine. She also now has a 10 year US visa.

If you are an American trying to get a Thai into Canada, get the US visa first, that will give her an advantage.

i can see your many reasons for not wanting canada full of americans. fuk they already own about 80 percent of it anyway. they have total disregard for any others views if theirs if is different. and in the end they just bully everyone into taking there side.

BUT not every single american supports the dikhead usa goverment. actually ive have tons of american friends in thailand. there has never been a major disagreement with them as the ones abroad are ususally not the ones that represent the usa government views. thats why they left.

by the way did you know of the city in bc that was settled by i think it was 17000 vietnam vet draft dodgers who got refugee status in canada before?

"... by the way did you know of the city in bc that was settled by i think it was 17000 vietnam vet draft dodgers who got refugee status in canada before?"

BTW, I think it's a total of almost 30,000 American draft dodgers went to Canada during the Vietnam festivities as they didn't have the gumption to do even what Cassius Clay did, refuse and go to court, or take alternative service.

However, the stats also show that somewhat OVER 30,000 Canadians departed Canada during the same period and joined the U.S. military in some capacity.

Fair trade, and boo on Jimmy Carter and his pardon for draft dodgers.  So much for the law, good or bad.  About as bad as Bill Clinton's final pardon's or Bush The Younger's recent one.

Mac

U.S. Army, Korat, 64-65