Chiang Mai Leashold House Transfer

I have been recently told that registering/transferring house bought with leasehold land at land office has been on halt for sometime due to scrutiny on all transactions involving foreigner, is this true and if so, any update on the matter from someone who has been through it recently?

It seems one the one hand leasehold (30yrs) is legit as per law but as with everything else it comes down to local officers at specific provincial office and leasehold doesnt seem very common in Chiang Mai compared to other major cities.

it is not specific to Chiangmai but some land department like Samui, Phuket, Pattaya (where there are many foreigners) can be more difficult…. I am not saying they want tea money but read between the lines.

Lease is normally fine except between married people. The land department collects a 1.1% tax and that makes money for the country. The rights of Sap Ing Sith, for me, seems better than a 30 years lease and totally legal for foreigners. I wrote an article in it here:  https://thailawonline.com/sap-ing-sith-thailand/

and you might save some money as registration is 20,000 baht but lawyers will ask you more than a lease as it is not common. Also, I would make an addendum and declaration of intention to renew.

The last time I register rights in Chiangmai was during COVID, 2020. There was no problem and that was before they asked to make appointments. We just had so many. Police stops during the trip checking why we were crossing provinces….

Really think about Sap Ing Sith instead of lease. 

On 8/12/2023 at 5:45 PM, ThaiLawOnline said:

it is not specific to Chiangmai but some land department like Samui, Phuket, Pattaya (where there are many foreigners) can be more difficult…. I am not saying they want tea money but read between the lines.

Lease is normally fine except between married people. The land department collects a 1.1% tax and that makes money for the country. The rights of Sap Ing Sith, for me, seems better than a 30 years lease and totally legal for foreigners. I wrote an article in it here:  https://thailawonline.com/sap-ing-sith-thailand/

and you might save some money as registration is 20,000 baht but lawyers will ask you more than a lease as it is not common. Also, I would make an addendum and declaration of intention to renew.

The last time I register rights in Chiangmai was during COVID, 2020. There was no problem and that was before they asked to make appointments. We just had so many. Police stops during the trip checking why we were crossing provinces….

Really think about Sap Ing Sith instead of lease. 

Thanks ThaiLawOnline... Yes i did study about Sap Ing Sith before at couple of places but the question is if it is acceptable at specific Land office of Chiang Mai.. Have you successfully done it in Chiang Mai before?

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 10:22 AM, NDT8 said:

Thanks ThaiLawOnline... Yes i did study about Sap Ing Sith before at couple of places but the question is if it is acceptable at specific Land office of Chiang Mai.. Have you successfully done it in Chiang Mai before?

Not yet in Chiangmai. I should do one in Chiangrai in November. Do not be after with Chiangmai : I went MANY times do very special agreements and never had any problem. I do not come often so it took me a while to answer. I am trying to put more info on our website, about all subjects, different langages…it takes a lot of time.