Five Days In Kata

GetBackJoJo

Howdy People

Im nipping down to Phuket with my girlfriend for five days starting this weekend. Four years in LOS, first time in Phuket. We are staying in Kata.

Would realy appreciate a couple of pointers from you guys if you would be so kind :o

We only have a realy small budget of just 5000B per day for the two of us (hotel paid for of course), so we need to be carefull and avoid getting ripped off.

First question - Taxi from airport to Kata. How much should we expect to pay, and can we get a meter taxi from outside the airport? Do Phuket taxis actualy use the meter? I have searched the forum and know that we should avoid the mini bus rip off, but i dont want to get stitched up by a taxi either and have no idea what to pay. Im guessing around 500B?

Second question - Does Kata have at least a few decent pubs to have a beer or two in? I am aching for pub grub.... after living in the country for a while eating Thai every day i am begging for a few decent beers and ferang food. The Mrs likes Italian food, and I know of one decent place in Kata so thats that taken care of. Any suggestions for pub grub would be welcome.

Third question - Fantasea. I am not to bothered about going but i have a feeling the mrs will love it, so i want to go. Is it worth a look at this time of year with the rain, wind etc? Will the park be empty? Best time to go around 5pm? How much for two at the door and any discount for Thai's? How much to get there in a taxi from Kata?

Fourth question - given our limited budget, any suggestions of stuff to do around Kata?

Finaly - Public transport to Patong. Available from Kata? Song Theows? Baht busses? We want at least one day strolling around Patong.

Many thanks - I appreciate some of these questions have probably been asked before but after a couple hours searching, I am still no wiser. I cant find a definative 'Kata Website' that lists stuff to do so need your help if you can. Cheers!

Need to go out into the airport car park for the meter taxi. You'll need to push your way through the taxi toutes. Make sure the meter is on and make sure the driver does not deviate from your plan & hotel. Meter should be about 350 baht + 100 baht airport charge. Cheaper than airport taxi service. Meter taxix are bright 2 colour and you pay when you get there.

Pub grub in Anchor Bar (English) half way along Kata main street. Note that Kata is split into 2 sides, north and south, with club med splitting the 2. Anchor Bar is in North Kata, Another good eatery is the Coffee Pot (Aussie) opposite the Anchor Bar. Kata South not so good for real pub grub. Pleanty of bars that sell food.

Fantasea is an evening show inside a building, so weather is not an issue. Don't bother with the buffet meal as it's not worth the money, just take the show only option. Buy your tickets in Kata at any tour desk. Shuttle bus is included in the price, so need for a taxi.

Public bus to Phuket Town (35 baht), service stops about 18.00. Need to take a Tuk Tuk (local taxi) over to Patong. Tuk Tuk are rip off artists, need to barter (hard) down to 250 - 300 baht to Patong.

Agree - the Anchor bar and Coffeepot both offer good pub grub.

So does The Bounty Bar on the southern end of Kata (en route to Kata Noi beach) opposite The Boathouse. For sundowners also try The Ska Bar or Kata Pen Seafood located directly on the southern end of Kata Beach. No pub grub there but excellent value for money restaurant and bar. Was there last night - atmosphere was great as usual. Another great spot for sundowners is The After Beach bar located en route to the Viewpoint. Would have to rent a bike or take a tuk tuk to get there though.

For good Italian food try Alla Capaninnas located diagonally across the road from the entrance to The Kata Beach Resort. They should re open soon as they were closed for a couple of weeks holiday. If they are still closed when you come try Al Capriccios further up the road opposite the lower end of Club Med.

Enjoy your break!

Thanks both for the tips - much appreciated.

I will certainly check out the bars you suggested. I miss the days, as a single bloke living in Bangkok, when i could sit in a pub, eat bangers and mash and flick through the guardian. Up here its plastic chairs on a pavment, warm chang with ice and Thai food. If i dont pile on 5 killos in 5 days, ill be gutted, lol.

I didn realise Fantase was all indoors.,.... i thought it was a park, maily outdoor, with the show indoors?

is the buffet not very nice, or just over priced, or both?

I cant wait for that Italalian!

Great suggestions - thanks for the time.

ANyone else have an idea or two for Kata?

Thanks both for the tips - much appreciated.

I will certainly check out the bars you suggested. I miss the days, as a single bloke living in Bangkok, when i could sit in a pub, eat bangers and mash and flick through the guardian. Up here its plastic chairs on a pavment, warm chang with ice and Thai food. If i dont pile on 5 killos in 5 days, ill be gutted, lol.

I didn realise Fantase was all indoors.,.... i thought it was a park, maily outdoor, with the show indoors?

is the buffet not very nice, or just over priced, or both?

I cant wait for that Italalian!

Great suggestions - thanks for the time.

ANyone else have an idea or two for Kata?

:o to Thai Visa

In my opinion the food is fantastic ....it's just way over priced. As a one off special treat for the missus, I'd go for it. You are on holiday :D

My critism of the buffet at Fantasea is due to my experience with long lines to get to the food. and I thought the quality of the food was mediocre. Must admit I ate there quite a few years ago not long after the place started up.

and if you are still not satisfied go to The Green Man for real ale and excellent Pub Style food.

Over Kata Hill towards Chalong

For 5000B per day, excluding hotel , you can have a very good time in Phuket.

I have tried Fantasea buffet it doesn't worth it. For that cost you can have better meal somewhere.

If you do not want to be touted by the cab drivers, I would suggest you take the shared bus of the hotel.

Since you are new to Phuket, you can just play generous for your self for one day, by renting a car with driver to drive you around the island at a cost of 1300B-1500B for 8 hours. When you count any single trip from your hotel to town already cost 500-800B, it is definitely a good bargain.

I have visited Phuket more than 5times, and each time I call the same driver. His name is Lue, his e-mail address is [email protected], Phone number: 081-8923482

Hpe you find the information useful