Uk Thai Wife Threatened With Deportation

yorkieb

Did anyone see the BBC1 Breakfast nes today about the Thai lady threatened with deportation. This couple (English guy Thai girl) married 2 years ago now with 2 children and living a normal life in the UK. The wife applied to the Home Office to extend her stay but failed some english test and now faces deportation.

Well I have spent 43 year in the Uk and have a first class degree and I failed the stupid online test.

So now our faceless mean spirited Home Office are preparing to rip this family apart, even though one of the kids is awaiting a heart surgery.

The Home office should be distuusted in itself and it make me ashamed of my country. That woman who has just taken over has an uphill struggle. However reading some of the day by day incompitant injustices our wonderfull Home Offie dish out .......... I don't think she has a cat in hel_l's chance.

Mr Brown you need a wake up call.....I disgusted in what your govenmant stands for.

:o

This is absoulutley criminal - the homeoffice tossers are a law unto themselfs. They employ mostly usefull idiots to carry out their evil deeds.

if they make this law retrospective then one could only imagine the total misery they would try to cause. I am sure they wont get away with it.

I have also tried this test and failed - there was a survey done recently i n one of the newspapers and almost everyone failed.

Take the bastards to cour!

Its crazy. They kick out a traditional Thai wife and let Muslims run around bombing us !

Breaks your heart that what you have said is 100% true.

Surely it should be an British persons right to marry and bring back anyone they want.

Edited by howtoescape

Just a second thought. I remember a mass of public outcry at the governments proposals on road pricing. I think a million+ people emailed Tony Blair.

I am sick of these faceless idiots messing with peoples lives. The Thaivisa forum should mount an email attack on Gordon Brown. After all from acorns oak trees can grow. My guess is all it would take is a well written petition from a modorator of thr forum and start the snowball rolling. :o

Just a second thought. I remember a mass of public outcry at the governments proposals on road pricing. I think a million+ people emailed Tony Blair.

I am sick of these faceless idiots messing with peoples lives. The Thaivisa forum should mount an email attack on Gordon Brown. After all from acorns oak trees can grow. My guess is all it would take is a well written petition from a modorator of thr forum and start the snowball rolling. :o

I agree whole heartily lets all start and petition brown lets join forces with other forums all over the world we can do it.

I am sick of the bullshit and hoop jumping, I am British and also could not pass the test.mad.gif

Its crazy. They kick out a traditional Thai wife and let Muslims run around bombing us !

Surely it should be an British persons right to marry and bring back anyone they want.

Could you please replace "Muslims run around bombing us" with terrorist from arabic countries... would be less globalising all muslim as bad muslim which is not true!!!!!

Thanks

Could you please replace "Muslims run around bombing us" with terrorist from arabic countries... would be less globalising all muslim as bad muslim which is not true!!!!!

Thanks

Why should he replace the word Muslim? He was stating a undeniable fact that Muslims were responsible for the the most recent of terrorist incidents. They weren't terrorists from arabic countries, they were muslim terrorists.. sorry if it offends, but at the end of the day if it were the catholics that had done it you would have not requested the poster to change the words used...

The woman in question has failed to meet the visa requiremetns but that is not the end of the matter as she has a right of appeal.

The actuality of applying for a visa in the UK is the rules openly available, there are rights of appeal, and applicants can go on to full British Citizenship.

Compared with the rights that foreigners are denied in Thailand the woman has been treated very fairly.

Did anyone see the BBC1 Breakfast nes today about the Thai lady threatened with deportation. This couple (English guy Thai girl) married 2 years ago now with 2 children and living a normal life in the UK. The wife applied to the Home Office to extend her stay but failed some english test and now faces deportation.

Well I have spent 43 year in the Uk and have a first class degree and I failed the stupid online test.

So now our faceless mean spirited Home Office are preparing to rip this family apart, even though one of the kids is awaiting a heart surgery.

The Home office should be distuusted in itself and it make me ashamed of my country. That woman who has just taken over has an uphill struggle. However reading some of the day by day incompitant injustices our wonderfull Home Offie dish out .......... I don't think she has a cat in hel_l's chance.

Mr Brown you need a wake up call.....I disgusted in what your govenmant stands for.

Wait a minute, somethings wrong here.

"The wife applied to the Home Office to extend her stay but failed some english test and now faces deportation."

So this inplies she does not have the correct spouse visa? 2 years is too long for fiance visa?

You say you failed that online test? my god man....an eight yeasr old could pass it. What degree do you hold?

2 years and she never bothered to learn English?

I think there is more to this story. It just doesn't add up. If they are married 2 years, why no spouse visa?

The woman in question has failed to meet the visa requiremetns but that is not the end of the matter as she has a right of appeal.

The actuality of applying for a visa in the UK is the rules openly available, there are rights of appeal, and applicants can go on to full British Citizenship.

Compared with the rights that foreigners are denied in Thailand the woman has been treated very fairly.

100% Bang on, rules are rules and all the bitching won't change them.

The truth is the British government don't want to hear anyone elses opinion on anything, no wonder most British can,t be assed to vote anymore, most feel that it's futile to do so.

Rgds, Spiritman

Obvoiusly they will appeal, which will cost them stress and money, if not sucessful they can apply for a Judicial review, more money and stress, and in the end they will probably win. But my point is that any person married to a british subject resident in the Uk, living a normal life, making a valuable contribution in raising 2 children in our society should not be disadvantaged by that ridiculous test. Our government should be recognising the positive contribution such families make not discriminate against them.

The test sucks............I would love to have all the muppets at the Home Offiec do it and see what percentage failed.... now that would be sweet justice for a change :o

"The wife applied to the Home Office to extend her stay but failed some english test and now faces deportation."

So this inplies she does not have the correct spouse visa? 2 years is too long for fiance visa?

You say you failed that online test? my god man....an eight yeasr old could pass it. What degree do you hold?

I think there is more to this story. It just doesn't add up. If they are married 2 years, why no spouse visa?

Who said anything about Fiancee, They married 2 years ago. So she is on a spouse visa. And after 2 years in the Uk doesnt she have to apply to extend her stay and sit the naturalisation test.

And the Degree was a BA(hons) and I had a great time thanks

Thanks

Why should he replace the word Muslim? He was stating a undeniable fact that Muslims were responsible for the the most recent of terrorist incidents. They weren't terrorists from arabic countries, they were muslim terrorists.. sorry if it offends, but at the end of the day if it were the catholics that had done it you would have not requested the poster to change the words used...

I think you are being unfair.When the IRA was at its most murderous apogee I do not recall references to "catholic terrorists".It's really important to draw a distinction between Muslims and Islamicists, the latter professing a perverted form of Islam largely driven by Wahabi influence.Having said that it may have been "terrorists from arabic countries" on the most recent occasion in the UK, but the malign influence of Pakistani elements (whether home grown or imported) is the real problem UK has to grapple with.

After two years a thai spouse can apply for British residency (no test req'd), after that (if they choose to) they can apply for British citizenship which is the only time they would ever have to sit a test.

I too failed and ALL of the people i know did, this was before i read the book. The questions are crazy and not really one's you would know off the top of your head. If you read the book they become quite simple.

However, to do that, you have to have good reading skills. This new law only came into force in April and so many of the Thai's wouldn't have had time to learn the neccessary reading skills to be able to do the test.

My Mrs has been here just short of 2 years and would definately not be able to pass it. We are fortunate and going down the Irish route. Others are not so fortunate and will have to pay big money just for an extension until they do pass the test.

After two years a thai spouse can apply for British residency (no test req'd), after that (if they choose to) they can apply for British citizenship which is the only time they would ever have to sit a test.

WRONG. Nobody take notice of this post. The rules changed in April of this year.

I've just had a go at the test questions.

i'm a fifty year old male, not"brain of Britain", but don't consider myself stupid.

I only got 58%. Will i be allowed back in the country? :o

What on earth is the relevance of those questions?

Regards

Jaiyenyen

There is more to this story than reported. A person with a 2 year settlement visa in UK can apply to extend her leave to remain without taking any tests and by providing simple documents that they provided when they applied for the visa.

If she wanted to change her status to Indefinite then she must pass a 'Life in UK test'

Saying that Brits born in the UK cannot pass the test is fair comment. Saying you have a degree from Uni and can't pass it is also fair comment but nothing is acheived without studying and if anyone is prepared to work a bit at learning the syllabus then the test is passable, it's 24 multiple choice answer questions only.

I know it took more than that to get the degree.

As has already been stated the above quoted post is wrong. The rules changed on 1st April 2007. They will not now issue indefinate leave to remain until the test has been passed. There has been a post on this already in the visa frum, where a member's wife has been ordered to leave the UK (they have a 2 year old in school in UK). They applied for further leave to remain in order to get the test done, but were denied this because they applied a few days too late. This was after they followed home office advice on when to apply! The determination was issued WITHOUT the right to appeal. The TV member is now seeking advice on what to do. It is worth ALL UK members with Thai wives that may be in a similar situation, to find out about the new rules ASAP.

Thanks

I think you are being unfair.When the IRA was at its most murderous apogee I do not recall references to "catholic terrorists".It's really important to draw a distinction between Muslims and Islamicists, the latter professing a perverted form of Islam largely driven by Wahabi influence.Having said that it may have been "terrorists from arabic countries" on the most recent occasion in the UK, but the malign influence of Pakistani elements (whether home grown or imported) is the real problem UK has to grapple with.

Just to clarify this, even though it is outside the OP's subject. All bombings and attempted bombings on the Uk mainland in the last 3 years have been done by practicing Muslims. They were not all from Arabic countries. Some were British born and others have been from non-arabic countries. Their one abiding connection is that they are doing this in the, misguided in my opinion, name of Islam whatever their particular belief system is. They are fighting Jihad on behalf of the Muslim people, whether or not those Muslim people asked them. Therefore it is absolutely right to define these terrorists as Muslim terrorists and, until the Muslims of the world stand up and disown them there will be ignorance and some people will see all Muslims in a bad light. All Muslims are NOT terrorists but all terrorists are muslim is something you here spouted by politicians in the USA.

When the IRA were active there was no need to define them as catholics as it was well known that the IRA was a catholic organisation and in the UK at least there is a real trend in the media to not use Muslim as a prefix to terrorist in reporting. Whether this is because it has been re-inforced enough so that everyone knows that "terrorists are muslim" is a moot point! But at least it is a start.

Can the OP advise whether he has found any on-line media links to this story? I would prefer to see the story first-hand before jerking my knee.

Google "Life in UK Test". Have a look at BritishExamdotcom.

I just took the test. 68%. Fail!

Answers I failed on:

Child safety is of increasing concern because of an increase in child molestation by strangers. Apparently not true because there is no data to back it up. (?)

The next census is in 2011. Apparently. We all knew that, didn't we.

Fox hunting with dogs is not illegal in the UK. I said it was. Apparently the N. Irish have no law yet, so that's why. A little bit of a trick question, that one.

In which year were women in the UK given the right to divorce their husbands? Don't know, don't care. Unless you're Thai taking this test.

The position of 'Supreme Governor' of the Church of England is held by the Queen and not the Archbishop of Canterbury. You live and learn.

There were also couple of others I got wrong about the width of the UK and population growth.

Lastly, only 30% of young people in the UK enter higher education. I thought it was more. I should've asked a Thai.

I think this website is taking the p1ss. They just want to get your money by asking some tough questions. I can't believe the real test is this hard.

I just took the test. 68%. Fail!

Did you read the syllabus first???

Would you expect to pass your driving test or your GCSE without doing a bit of study first???

If a test is a walk in the park it is not a test !!!!

No, I didn't read the book. I thought I'd know enough to pass. Oops. The book described here - http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/ - looks as if it covers all the topics in the test. So I would hope to pass after "boning up".

The story is here and click on 'Thai mother to be deported'. It would seem she has been married for 5 years so if she has been in the UK she should have applied at least twice previously for leave to remain.

The commentary states that to achieve ILR you have to pass the Life in UK test but doesn't say that is what she applied for as FLR doesn't require it.

The commentary does quote the home office as saying 'the onus is on the individual to make applications in time' so reading between the lines she simply hasn't applied to extend her leave or was actually late in applying (not as the reporter tried to imply because she didn't have knowledge of life in UK).

It has recently come to light that if an application is late then deportation is the action the HO are taking so as said earlier... make sure you know when your wife's visa expires and apply in time.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Who said anything about Fiancee, They married 2 years ago. So she is on a spouse visa. And after 2 years in the Uk doesnt she have to apply to extend her stay and sit the naturalisation test.

And the Degree was a BA(hons) and I had a great time thanks

Sorry if my post upset you yorkieb,

Further reading of this thread I now understand the rules have changed since April.

But really, I've read a sample of this test too and with just a bit of study this test is not difficult

Sure just sitting the test cold, there are a couple of curly questions in the there but mate, if one's English levels are just at a basic level and with a bit of prep it's not hard to pass.