Hawaii wildfires: Mick Fleetwood's restaurant destroyed as he says situation on the ground is 'catastrophic'

Social Media

image.png

British rock star Mick Fleetwood, who has lived in Hawaii for decades, has said the situation in Lahaina is "catastrophic" following deadly wildfires that have killed at least 96 people.

The Fleetwood Mac drummer told Sky News that the disaster has been "an incredible shock for everyone" - and described the scene as "complete devastation".

Fleetwood revealed he was in LA visiting family when the fires broke out but flew back immediately, bringing supplies with him.

"These hills were ablaze and I wasn't there... I was feeling helpless, and switches were going on and off as to what to do."

Fleetwood's house was untouched but the town of Lahaina, where he owns a popular restaurant, has been decimated.

His restaurant, Fleetwood's on Front St, was about to celebrate its 11th anniversary this week - but it has been destroyed by the blaze, and many of his staff have lost everything.

"It's an incredible shock for everyone," he says. "The whole town of Lahaina is no more. That in itself is a statement that leads you immediately to the people who lived there.

"Selfishly, I haven't lost a family member. I didn't lose my house. Yeah, it could have happened, but it didn't happen... I'm really lucky. Now, what the hell can I do?

"The immediacy is finding people. The immediacy is communicating and knowing who's here and who's safe."

The world-renowned musician says he has decided to speak out in order to keep the tragedy at the forefront of people's minds.

FULL STORY

SKY NEWS.png

• Sad 1