Finding older large rentals in smaller buildings around Sukhumvit

HermosaBeachGuy

So, I've only been here for about 14 years, but it seems like the rental market has changed so much. Modern construction is typically quite small, often under 40 sqm for a 1 bedroom. In contrast, looking at a lot of the construction from the 90's and early 00's, the rooms are a lot larger, and there is often much nicer wood used for cabinets, tables and the like.
Many such flats are available in smaller buildings, sometime calling themselves unironically "mansions". I lived in one such place on Suk Soi 27 back in the day, and it was super convenient, and quite low priced.
I've spotted one or two such buildings/flats for rent on FAZWaz, but I'm wondering if anyone knows any other resources (other than walking the neighborhoods) for listings of this type of place.

3 hours ago, HermosaBeachGuy said:

Many such flats are available in smaller buildings, sometime calling themselves unironically "mansions"

"...unironically "mansions""

The building itself is what the names refer to, not the flats contained therein.  And it is "ironically", not "unironically" [sic]!

• Sad 3

Nope. You walk around. I found the one I live in on 23 about 20 years ago. By walking the sois. The available for rent sign was tiny. The reason back then was that there are certain groups the owners will not rent to. I have 100sqm for 25k. very old, but it is true, location location location.

Yes, if I could do that, I certainly would have.  But I have pretty severe coronary artery disease, and I'd prefer not to drop dead walking every soi between Chidlom and On Nut.

Hence, my question.  But thanks for the advice.

• Like 1

have you tried hipflat.co.th ?  as an example, i know an older bldg there (1981) River Court that shows a 48sqm room for 15,000/mo.  i'm pretty sure there is an even older one next door that is not listed on hipflat.  so hipflat doesn't have all of them but some are probably there.  choose to search via the map option and zoom in on a desired location and see what might show up.  i don't think it's possible to search all the areas btwn onnut and chidlom - even using the internet.  so probably have to narrow it down a bit.

• 5 weeks later...

OP - Is BKK your only option? My dad lives near White Rock (<-name?) near Rayong right across from the beach in a 2bdrm condo/apartment. It's around 125sqm (?) and pays about 10k. He bought an electric cart with a 50-60km range per charge for around 20k.

If BKK is your only choice, a similar cart might be the way to go for rolling around instead of walking. :wai:

• Like 2

On 8/18/2023 at 10:09 AM, HermosaBeachGuy said:

Yes, if I could do that, I certainly would have.  But I have pretty severe coronary artery disease, and I'd prefer not to drop dead walking every soi between Chidlom and On Nut.

Hence, my question.  But thanks for the advice.

You really do need to walk about. All my places were found this way. You already tried internet and found it lacking. How else might these come to you? You have no clue and neither does anyone else. Maybe the walk will do you good. Start at 6am and do one street at a time if need be

On 9/19/2023 at 6:51 PM, HermosaBeachGuy said:

What a great reply.  I actually lived in Rayong when I first got here, about 14 years ago.  A bit quiet for my tastes.  On the other hand, the golf cart sounds super cool, although not practical here in bkk... 

I found a very cool older place, actually a 126 sqm 2 br, in a quiet, but easily reachable to bts and all, in Phra Khanong, for about 25K.  Not bad for this part of town.  All of the built in cabinets and closets are hardwood, in beautiful condition, and the tile floors are also excellent.  So, I got what I was looking for in the end.

2 hours ago, PassportBro said:

You really do need to walk about. All my places were found this way. You already tried internet and found it lacking. How else might these come to you? You have no clue and neither does anyone else. Maybe the walk will do you good. Start at 6am and do one street at a time if need be