Option to stay for my parents

Hello everyone,

Im seeking advice about stay of my parents in Thailand. My father without thinking bought a ticket to Thailand for a total of 124 days to visit us (From 12 November 2023 to 16 March 2024). He forgot about the maximum stay requirement (60 days for visa expemption and 90 days for SETV). Im trying to figure out what should I do now so that he wouldnt have any problems in immigration.

My 2 ideas are:

30 day visa exempt + 30 day extension. Then fly somewhere else for a week and then come back on 30 day visa exempt +30 day extension (so total length of the trip will be over 124 days but in Thailand it will be maybe 117 days)

Do you think they will encounter any problems during second arrival to Suvarnabhumi ? Have anyone tried this before ? We did similiar thing before in 2022 (45 days, then holidays in Taiwan and then 45 days again) but without the extensions.

Second option would be to apply for online SETV. Stay total 90 days (60+30). Then go somewhere for a week and come back on 30 day exemption.  But the problems is that their flight ticket is from November to March. Is it possible to provide the embassy ticket like this for SETV ?

Thanks for the answers.

Edited by megapix

Depending on your own status of permission to stay your parents may get a one-year extension of stay for THB 1,900. Care to post what your status is? 

Alternatively, figure it out yourself with this document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNib_gx9zYEYkFjMUNHV1pXdWs/view?usp=drive_link&resourcekey=0-HbhenggAPK_pepIDEzdVCA

Edited by Maestro
changed the link

11 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Depending on your own status of permission to stay your parents may get a one-year extension of stay for THB 1,900. Care to post what your status is? 

Alternatively, figure it out yourself with this document:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwNib_gx9zYEYkFjMUNHV1pXdWs/view?usp=drive_link&resourcekey=0-HbhenggAPK_pepIDEzdVCA

I have Non-O multiple entry based on marriage. I dont have 1 year extension though. 

2 minutes ago, megapix said:

I have Non-O multiple entry based on marriage. I dont have 1 year extension though. 

In this case, clause 2.20(5) of the Police Order does not apply to you parents. 

A multiple-entry tourist visa (METV) would cover the 124 days with two entries and one 30-day extension.

Easiest, I think, will be two visa exemptions with a week outside Thailand, perhaps somewhere like Vietnam. It is possible that your parents might face questioning on the second entry, but I do not foresee any major drama as they will only have spent 58 days or so in Thailand prior to the second visit.

• Thumbs Up 1

OP, reading your post I was about to reply exactly what BritTim posted.

Both your plans will work.

I notice in another thread that you have traveled to Saigon previously.

As you would be aware Saigon airport is easy bus/taxi trip to district 1.

Also I'm guessing they are from country that have visa exempt entry to Thailand. 

Ripper place and would be nice addition to their Thailand holiday.

Think you are on ME Non O marriage? 

Perhaps it fits in with your time to exit/reenter Thailand 

11 hours ago, megapix said:

My 2 ideas...

Your parents need a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days after their planned arrival date, to be let onboard an airplane to Thailand, as they have no visa or permitted stay that ciovers their return ticket. Your parent can just buy a cheap online budget air ticket to a neighboring country, for example from southern part of Thailand to Malaysia, which is a short distance and therefore affordable; budget air tickers out of Thailand can often be found for around 1,500 baht or less.

Your idea #1 might be the easiest to work with, but both are Okay to my knowledge.

124 days enter visa free, + 30 day extension = 60 days

Border bounce                same again              = 60 days

60x2= 120 day

Sorry I don't understand the Problem.

• Sad 1

On 8/22/2023 at 2:50 AM, DrJack54 said:

OP, reading your post I was about to reply exactly what BritTim posted.

Both your plans will work.

I notice in another thread that you have traveled to Saigon previously.

As you would be aware Saigon airport is easy bus/taxi trip to district 1.

Also I'm guessing they are from country that have visa exempt entry to Thailand. 

Ripper place and would be nice addition to their Thailand holiday.

Think you are on ME Non O marriage? 

Perhaps it fits in with your time to exit/reenter Thailand 

Ok I think we will go with easier option then ???? 

I honestly believe that there shouldnt be any issues because they stay in Thailand only during winter. Sometimes 1 month, sometimes 2 months every year.

Last year it was 3 months because of the 45 day visa exemption. But rest of the year they are back in Europe. This year my father got very excited and decided to stay 4 months.

Yeah, we are planning on visiting some other country together. Thinking about Vietnam. On the way back to BKK me and my wife will be there to help them in immigration in case of any questions ????

Thanks a lot for the advice.

6 minutes ago, megapix said:

Thinking about Vietnam. On the way back to BKK me and my wife will be there to help them in immigration in case of any questions 

Good choice.

They won't have any issues with immigration.

Does their passports have visa exempt entry to Vietnam? 

Most like they have since they had to Thailand.

Vietnam now has 45-day visa free entry. They copy Thailand's one. My hope is Thailand will copy Vietnam's one ???? And back and forth copying will continue...

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Good choice.

They won't have any issues with immigration.

Does their passports have visa exempt entry to Vietnam? 

Nope but we can have E-visa within 2-3 days so no issues there.

I believe you have the same right ?

9 minutes ago, megapix said:

Nope but we can have E-visa within 2-3 days so no issues there.

I believe you have the same right ?

eVisa for Vietnam takes 5 business days. 

I obtained one in Feb.

Very simple process. 

$25 USD. 

Just for others info.. Vietnam has now reintroduced the 3 month entry TV. (Aug 15)

Edited by DrJack54